Poll: Are you okay with downloading songs?
Poll Options
View poll results: Are you okay with downloading songs?
Yes
57 59%
No
9 9%
Undecided
2 2%
I'll download a few, but buy CD's more
21 22%
Meh, I don't care either way.
7 7%
Voters: 96.
Alright, downloading songs is a bit of a sensitive topic for some people, so lets try to keep our conversation civil. This song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoNPqtznoXk (Y'all Want a Single by Korn) made me think about it and decide to ask some musicians what their opinions on it are. Personally, I'm okay with it. I think it's a great way to get your music heard, and if I really like a band, I'll buy some merch or go to a concert.
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
I don't like it when people only download music. I download music, but buy it if I like it. For instance, I recently bought a 10-CD Unleashed boxset after downloading some stuff I liked.

If I were a big artist, it wouldn't bother me too much as the artists usually get very little from their CDs, all the income comes from touring/merch, and you can't download them.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Last edited by CTFOD at Jul 1, 2009,
Sometimes if I feel like trying a new cereal, but I dont want to pay for it, I just rip the box open in the store and grab a handful. Perhaps a week later I might come back and actually buy it, but chances are I won't.
Check out my band Disturbed
i usualy download a few songs off a album...if i like em i buy the album

easy as that
Quote by Valid12891
I wish I had an extra sensitive third nipple, and a girl who was into that sort of thing.

Quote by _Ixnay_
In Russia, Winter Cold + Vodka + Big-Chested Women = No problem.

Book of shadows 2?
O_o
I try to do neither, I borrow from the library.

But when I can't get my hands on a CD, I download it.

In my town nobody hardly sells records that is relevant to my interests.
DeVillains!
I don't care who downloads music, because they aren't me.

Quote by Tire Me.
I became desensitized to downloaders remorse about 20 gigs ago....

This too
I want to work in revelations, not just spin silly tales for money.I want to fish as deep down as possible into my own subconscious in the belief that once that far down, everyone will understand because they are the same that far down.
Quote by StewieSwan
Sometimes if I feel like trying a new cereal, but I dont want to pay for it, I just rip the box open in the store and grab a handful. Perhaps a week later I might come back and actually buy it, but chances are I won't.

Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
I'll download stuff and buy what I like. There's no point me spending money on something I haven't heard, it's like buying a guitar without playing it (or marrying someone without screwing them...). Then the stuff I don't like, I obviously won't listen to again and usually delete, personally I think that's fair enough.
Quote by Andron17
Go away, I have an erection.

Bassist for Half My Kingdom.
I have no problem with it. It's like saying to your buddy, "Hey this is a great CD, wanna borrow it?" except your buddy is anyone with an internet connection. I thought it's good to share things with others!
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
Quote by StewieSwan

Brilliant!

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

I buy CD's, but I'm not against downloading music for free. I'm against paying for downloads. YOU DON'T PAY FOR SOMETHING YOU CAN'T PUT YOUR HANDS ON.
I'm okay with it, I mean like I've downloaded a good amount of albums and only actually like 3 C.D's

literally the music artists make are from concerts and merchandise anyway especially nowadays, isn't having an album these days go platinum considered equal to having like four back in the day right now or something?
Its simple really:

show me yours, and I'll show you MINE
Quote by StewieSwan

You made the cereal cry
I don't download because I'd rather have the tangible copy in my hands. I like having the case, the booklet, the CD and all that. But hey, if people can get away with downloading millions of songs, more power to them. I just prefer having the real thing.
PeaceLoveUnityRespect
Quote by sour cake
literally the music artists make are from concerts and merchandise

music=money???
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
In my country or atleast in almost EVERY physical store, they simply don't have any cd's I like. If I look at "Rock/Metal" It's either: Disturbed, Metallica, KoRn and if I'm really lucky an old Judas Priest. I simply don't listen to any of that and it saddens me that their variety in cd's is so narrow because of popular demand.
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...
Quote by Guitar_Jester
I buy CD's, but I'm not against downloading music for free. I'm against paying for downloads. YOU DON'T PAY FOR SOMETHING YOU CAN'T PUT YOUR HANDS ON.

You mean like insurance, a share in a company, or copyrights?
Quote by StewieSwan
You mean like insurance, a share in a company, or copyrights?

Those all result in things you can get your hands on (more money when you need it, more money if you're lucky, more money in royalties).

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

i only buy cd's from bands i know won't disappoint me....Rush.

there have been tons of albums i've downloaded with the impression they'd be good but was sadly mistaken. now lets say i had actually bought them...i'd be out a real good amount of money.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Quote by ChucklesMginty

at the 'youtube' comment "you have disgraced our family son"

OT; I'll last.fm for a band to see if I like them, then go buy.
WONGA!
Quote by StringAssassin
I would be angry too if there were turds on my head.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Most people say this, but can't they check out most of the songs on YouTube/Myspace first? Downloading is kind of a hassle for me, and I hate mp3 anyway.

Edit:

I rest my case.

yes Mp3 sucks monkey balls I'm starting to hate that file type like I hate AIDS.
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King

I download a few albums a month, if that. 75% of my music collection is legal cd's I have bought.
I'd be happy for people to download my music. But I'd make a point to say that fi they really wanted to support us, come to our shows and/or buy our merch. Simple.
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

Quote by Waterboy799
i only buy cd's from bands i know won't disappoint me....Rush.

there have been tons of albums i've downloaded with the impression they'd be good but was sadly mistaken. now lets say i had actually bought them...i'd be out a real good amount of money.

this too actually. there's lots of albums i've dled and thought 'well, theres about 2 or 3 songs i like but i wouldnt wanna pay for the album'.
If I could get albums I like over here...
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Most people say this, but can't they check out most of the songs on YouTube/Myspace first? Downloading is kind of a hassle for me, and I hate mp3 anyway.

not for albums that have just come out you can't.

plus, on youtube or myspace you can't listen to the entire album. in most cases there will be only the very best of the album on myspace and youtube and for me, that's not a fair representation so i can go and spend $15 or whatever it is for the whole album.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Quote by Kozlic
If I could get albums I like over here...

I just read your signature...

-FFFFUUUUUU!
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King

I pretty much only downloading..
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

I have the same problem with skittles. I hate the yellow ones. So I just take a bag from the store and leave all the yellow ones out. Once I get home and enjoy eating them, I think to myself, "Man, thank god I didn't pay for those yellow ones."
Quote by SteveHouse
Those all result in things you can get your hands on (more money when you need it, more money if you're lucky, more money in royalties).

Thanks for that
Quote by StewieSwan

I usually download my cereal.
Quote by alcoholicpanda
Depression?

Kill it with Lysol.

Quote by i_killed_bill
Some guy in a striped sweater stole all my hamburgers. **** was soooo not cash
Quote by MasterOfCows
I usually download my cereal.

you also regenerate your mana so you don't have to drink water? I heard a woman died of that once :O
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King

Quote by StewieSwan

The difference is, the shop you stole the cereal off won't give a shit if you like them or not, whereas if a band finds out tons of people are downloading their albums, they will most likely be happy that people like their music and they are getting bigger.
Quote by CliffIsAngry
you also regenerate your mana so you don't have to drink water? I heard a woman died of that once :O

lol wut
Quote by alcoholicpanda
Depression?

Kill it with Lysol.

Quote by i_killed_bill
Some guy in a striped sweater stole all my hamburgers. **** was soooo not cash
Havent bought a CD in over 6 years
Last edited by Cyanide176 at Jul 1, 2009,