Page 1 of 2
Which high gain amp on the market has the smoothest, tightest, most liquid gain ever? I want an amp that is pure cream and butter.
"teh most gains"
Dumble Overdrive Special
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
i dunno, something engl or framus. assuming you want high gain im sure
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Congrats dude. I kinda want a BJ too 'cause I like them so much. I'll check your clipz later.

until budget is announced.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Tweed Fender Twin + clones and knock offs.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
Dumble Overdrive Special

+1

^Mark I is nice, but buzzy.
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
Dumble Overdrive Special

Definitely smooth but way out of anyone but a doctor's budget. And they're not really "high" gain.

To TS: Bogner Ecstacy, Soldano SLO100, Mesa Mark Series. Seriously, we need a budget or else we're just gonna suggest really expensive stuff.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
Definitely smooth but way out of anyone but a doctor's budget. And they're not really "high" gain..

he didint say high gain tho

didint read the OP thoroughly

ts get a Splawn/Mako/Deizel or what ever the guys above me said
feel free to add me
Last edited by WTF!!is a TAB at Jul 1, 2009,
Quote by mmolteratx
Definitely smooth but way out of anyone but a doctor's budget. And they're not really "high" gain.

They can get pretty high gain, but by then they're buzzy, like all other high gain amps.
ENGL SE
Bogner Ecstacy
Dumble ODS (or clone)
I guess some Diezels (not a big fan of them though)
Mesa Boogie Lone Star, Mark IV, or Road King.
Randall MTS modules (either stock Ultra Lead, Ultra XL, Grail, XTC, or KH-3, or a copy of any of the aforementioned preamps, or something totally custom implementing aspects of all of them).

Just do what Andy Timmons does and run a BB Preamp into a Mesa Lonestar It's smooth as hell.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by mr_hankey
They can get pretty high gain, but by then they're buzzy, like all other high gain amps.

Yea, which is why I had it hyphenated. It can do the high gain stuff but it doesn't do it as well as other amps specifically designed for it. And according to an interview I read with Dumble the circuit is actually very similar to the Boogie Mark Series amps of the late 70s/early 80s. Just a cool fact I learned a few days ago. I'm not sure what makes it handle the high gain differently though.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Jul 1, 2009,
Soldano SLO. Yummy.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
My budget is $3,000. I am looking for High Gain.

I have to say I'm a BIG fan of Squier guitars and own many of them. I believe electric guitars are overpriced. All they are is a chunk of wood with pickups. There's not much to them compared to an acoustic.

Now the amplifier, that is your REAL instrument. A crap guitar through a great amp can sound good, but a good guitar through a cramp amp rarely does.
"teh most gains"
Last edited by mountain2012 at Jul 1, 2009,
you could a better guitar with that budget

Good Guitar + Good amp = good tone
crap Guitar + good amp = good tone but not as good compared to a good guitar going to the same amp.

and with $3000 you could get a
Deizel Herbert, VH4
Modded Soldano SLO/Decatone/Avenger
ENGL SE/ Savage 120
Splawn Nitro
Brunetti amps
Fuchs Viper
or a Custom amp made by your own specs
feel free to add me
With that kind budget, there's no real way to go wrong, man, seriously.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
i'm gonna go out on a limb here and throw something in that doesn't get mentioned enough;

ampeg b-25 (or b-25B).

old 60s/70s 55 watt all tube head, this thing rips. it goes from a clean-ish jangle to slight warm overdrive to AHHHHH MY FACE (boosted, of course). i dunno, i don't think it gets much better than this thing. i'm getting one ASAP.
i play noisy hardcore in the vein of coalesce interrupted by lots of isis-esque riffage and ambience, with a healthy dose of screamo dynamics ala funeral diner. it even sounds good sometimes!
If you could pick up a PRS and a Bogner Ecstasy, I think youd be in heaven
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Man, shut the **** up. Really.

'i believe electric guitars are just hunks of wood with pickups'

You're obviously either retarded with your hands, and can't tell the difference between a Squier Bullet and a full on David Gilmour replica, or you're really just that stupid.

Sell some of your squiers, buy a Legacy or Legacy II combo with an American Std Strat.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Quote by IsThereLoveInSp
If you could pick up a PRS and a Bogner Ecstasy, I think youd be in heaven

I'm liking that idea a lot.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by V.U.K

You're obviously either retarded with your hands, and can't tell the difference between a Squier Bullet and a full on David Gilmour replica, or you're really just that stupid.

Sell some of your squiers, buy a Legacy or Legacy II combo with an American Std Strat.

They are hunks of wood with pickups. And good wood is good wood, whether it's in a cheap guitar or not. I remember reading an article about some guy (hi name escapes me but he's in a semi-successful prog rock band) who uses Squiers with that same thought in his head: Good wood is good wood. They don't specifically pick ****ty wood for Squiers, they just get a random slab and carve it out, slap a finish and some hardware and pickups on it and sell it.

Mind you, a WELL MADE guitar with GOOD WOOD and hardware that's been specifically selected andd carefully crafted will be vastly superior, but if the Squiers feel good and sound good to the guy, then they do. Your opinion won't change that.

Get a Bogner Ecstacy, TS.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Guitars ARE overpriced. What can justify an American Strat being 4 times the price of a Squier guitar? 4 times better wood, or 4 times the price of components? No. 4 times more costly craftsmanship? Maybe, but that doesn't mean a guitar 300% better than the other. Guitars become crappy when they're unplayable and sound terrible, which isn't the case with Squier guitars and most guitars 300$ and up. Never ever will I buy a guitar going for more than a grand, that's just crazy in my opinion. Best value is around the 600-800 price mark... anyway

As I'm a preamp man, I'll suggest the Triaxis for smooth distortion, you can't go wrong with that.
at 3 grand, Look for ENGL's, Used Diezel herberts and VH4's
Keeping it real since '92
Quote by mountain2012

I have to say I'm a BIG fan of Squier guitars and own many of them. I believe electric guitars are overpriced. All they are is a chunk of wood with pickups. There's not much to them compared to an acoustic.

Sig'd

All the best suggestions are already above
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by mmolteratx
Yea, which is why I had it hyphenated. It can do the high gain stuff but it doesn't do it as well as other amps specifically designed for it. And according to an interview I read with Dumble the circuit is actually very similar to the Boogie Mark Series amps of the late 70s/early 80s. Just a cool fact I learned a few days ago. I'm not sure what makes it handle the high gain differently though.

I mean that's it less buzzy than other high gain amps, but the very nature of having a lot of pre-amp gain means having some buzz. I've never heard an amp with smoother pre-amp gain than a ODS.
Quote by Shinozoku

Just do what Andy Timmons does and run a BB Preamp into a Mesa Lonestar It's smooth as hell.

YES. THIS.

His lead tone is jesus-like.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Quote by wolfy808
YES. THIS.

His lead tone is jesus-like.

His tone got nailed to a cross, got reborn in a friggen cave then got murdered again?

How is that smooth?

I would look into a Soldano SLO, those have some of the best leads I've heard.
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Jul 2, 2009,
Bluntly put, yes, I'm sure it was rough around the edges before, but after that process it was known to all as divine.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Quote by V.U.K

What a ridiculous thing to say.

TS, don't listen to people like that. You have your opinion and if you happy with it, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
I'm currently in the process of modifying my Squier Strat because I love it's neck. It feels so much nicer than the 2008 MIA models. Not as good as the 2005 or 1993 models, or even the 2007 models, but it's damn close.

For $3000, you really cannot go wrong, as such. But it is very important that you experiment with amps. When you are paying $700, I find it's not as important to be certain, but 3000 is an enormous investment and you should have the best and only the best. Be really pedantic with your tone searching and try everything out, no matter what price it is. The perfect amp for you could well be something as simple as an ENGL Fireball on ebay for $900 and a Vader 2x12 with V30's in it for $650.

Are you in a position to try many amps out?
Quote by Shinozoku
They are hunks of wood with pickups. And good wood is good wood, whether it's in a cheap guitar or not. I remember reading an article about some guy (hi name escapes me but he's in a semi-successful prog rock band) who uses Squiers with that same thought in his head: Good wood is good wood. They don't specifically pick ****ty wood for Squiers, they just get a random slab and carve it out, slap a finish and some hardware and pickups on it and sell it.

Mind you, a WELL MADE guitar with GOOD WOOD and hardware that's been specifically selected andd carefully crafted will be vastly superior, but if the Squiers feel good and sound good to the guy, then they do. Your opinion won't change that.

Get a Bogner Ecstacy, TS.

i read that one too! it was in guitar one before it went belly up

but i agree with the guy from the article. if you're swapping out the pickups and hardware anyways, then the little word on the headstock makes little difference.

but there is a point about cheap guitars. they still use lesser quality wood than some pricier counterparts.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
you could a better guitar with that budget

Good Guitar + Good amp = good tone
crap Guitar + good amp = good tone but not as good compared to a good guitar going to the same amp.

definitely. while the amp makes more of a difference, a better (or even different) guitar will make a pretty big difference too, especially through a good amp.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
diezel VH-4, Mesa Mark IIC+(or mark 5), bogner alchemist(or ecstacy), Soldano everything. Cool amps like that, which unfortunately cost a ton.
WAIT, you're playing uber-high gain with a Squier? Singlecoils aren't made for highgain, especially Squier ones. Acourse, they CAN do it, but it won't be as good as a humbucker.
Gear :

Ibanez RG2570 (has yet to post pics)
Crap Wal-Mart guitar that came in a 70 buck starters pack.
Marshall MG15, I know
Page 1 of 2