Well, is it internal to your computer (either laptop, desktop or whatever) or is it external?

Internal devices are called sound cards.

External devices are called audio interfaces.

Just thought everyone would like to know, seeing as even manufacturers get it wrong sometimes!
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Call me sceptical. But this is a little pointless....

People will mostly likely see the product before they buy it, they'll know it it's internal or external. The naming of said-product is a minor technicallilty,

EDIT - Even if they don't see it, for exampke if you're buying online. It should say if it's an interface or a soundcard anyway.
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
Last edited by Carl6661 at Jul 1, 2009,
so is it the same concept as saying tremolo/whammy?
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
Quote by SomebodySomeone
so is it the same concept as saying tremolo/whammy?

Tremolo, if I remember correctly, has pretty much nothing to do with a whammy bar or whammy pedal. Tremolo is like, when the volume oscillates, going quiet/silent, and then loud, and so on.

Like in the intro to Boulvevard of Broken Dreams by Green Day. (I know, they're not an amazing band. Don't hate me for liking one or two songs by them .)
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
Quote by Carl6661
Tremolo, if I remember correctly, has pretty much nothing to do with a whammy bar or whammy pedal. Tremolo is like, when the volume oscillates, going quiet/silent, and then loud, and so on.

Like in the intro to Boulvevard of Broken Dreams by Green Day. (I know, they're not an amazing band. Don't hate me for liking one or two songs by them .)

that's what i'm saying. as much as an idiot called leo fender named it a "tremolo" it's not a ****ing tremolo
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
the way i see it, an interface is a (usually) external device that is intended to provide the extensive connectivity, quality preamps and quality A/D and D/A conversion necessary for recording.

a soundcard is usually intended primarily as a playback device, and is a more generic term for all the cheap devices that are packaged with computers and also the "high-end" gaming soundcards.

one deals with sound, and (ideally) has a ****load of preamps, line ins and outs, adat in and out, several headphone outs and phantom power. all optimized for serious recording and studio use.

the other just deals with sound.

though i concede that with the lower-end 2-in/2-out interfaces, the lines are blurred somewhat.
The only reason I posted it was because there's a thread knocking around here somewhere with at least 4 or 5 people unsure. Assumed everybody else might want to know.

I find the lines are most blurred where sound cards have external break out boxes..
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by willieturnip

I find the lines are most blurred where sound cards have external break out boxes..

i hear ya, thats why i reckon the definition lies with the intended purpose of the device.