On Friday I will be purchasing a B-52 AT-100 head and Marshall 1960a cab for $400.(Yes 400, I found a guy locally that needs to sell the amp pronto, so I am going to take advantage of him....i mean the deal.)

The thing is, I was buying it for the head. Plus, the idea that I could turn around and sell the cab for more than 400 is very cool. But, is it worth it to hold on to it??? I need to be tight with my money right now, but before I sell of the cab, I wanna know if people have had experience with the cab, and if I should hold on to it.

I will have a nad on Friday, but want peoples thoughts on it now.......thanks.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
That is one of the most used cabs in history, if not the most. What speakers are in it? I think its G12s? I would keep it, aren't you going to have to buy another cab anyway?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Keep it man, it's a sick cab!
- Ibanez RG7321 *Dimarzio D Activators*
- Jackson Dk 2 Dinky Transparent Red
- ENGL Powerball
- ENGL E412 SS
- Line 6 Pod Studio GX
- Ibanez TS9
- Boss NS2
See them go for $350-$500 on a daily basis.. Cant stand G12T-75's and the construction of the cab is far from up to par to everyone else in its price range. Also I think its one of the worst cabs in history for the price they go for.

I have yet to find a reason why it's so popular. It's okay, but most Marshall cabs are kind of overrated.

$400 for the head and amp is a very good deal, though.
Maybe Vintage 30's would be better, since that is what is in B-52 cabs and a ****load of other metal oriented cabs.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Yea its got the G-12's and I already have a 2x12 Traynor Extension that I love, so, looks like I'm selling it.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
So does anyone have actual experience with the cab???
Quote by LuthierofTexas
To be perfectly honest, that's not a great deal.

They go quite regularly on my CL anywhere from $200 - 450, depending on how long people want to wait to sell it. I was lucky and was able to trade mine + $50 to some poor sap for his Mesa Recto cab.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by CarbonDeath
So does anyone have actual experience with the cab???

It's a pretty good cab. I wouldn't say it is amazing, but it works really well with most amps. It is built fairly solidly as well, but my band's guitarist managed to break the handle off of his, but he reattached it and it is better than ever. See if you like it before you decide to sell it.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by MatrixClaw

They go quite regularly on my CL anywhere from $200 - 450, depending on how long people want to wait to sell it. I was lucky and was able to trade mine + $50 to some poor sap for his Mesa Recto cab.

I don't know if I'm going to put it on Craigslist. GC said they would take it for $350 for trade, so I am thinking that for a decent guitar or Ebay.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
Quote by CarbonDeath
I don't know if I'm going to put it on Craigslist. GC said they would take it for $350 for trade, so I am thinking that for a decent guitar or Ebay.

...Why wouldn't you just use the $400 you'd be spending on it instead then? You'd be losing $50...

You might be able to get more on eBay, but you're also going to have to go through the hassle of finding a huge ass box for that thing and shipping it. There's a reason people don't ship cabs that big.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw

The $400 includes a B-52 AT-100 head...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
The $400 includes a B-52 AT-100 head...

OH LOL

Wow, epic fail at reading.

Ok, I change my mind. Buy amp and cab now
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
OH LOL

Wow, epic fail at reading.

Ok, I change my mind. Buy amp and cab now

LOL, yeah, it's a great deal. Been on forums for 3+ years now, I know whats up!!!! lol

I'm going to buy it for sure, but I have a Traynor YCV 2x12 Extension that I can use instead of the 1960a, I'm wondering if it will be worth selling. I play heavy, HEAVY music, so, you guy's make the decision.

EDIT: Matrix, I know you have owned a 1960. With the equipment you own, its impossible u haven't owned this cab. What is your god honest opinion on it???
Quote by LuthierofTexas
Last edited by CarbonDeath at Jul 2, 2009,
Quote by CarbonDeath
On Friday I will be purchasing a B-52 AT-100 head and Marshall 1960a cab for $400.(Yes 400, I found a guy locally that needs to sell the amp pronto, so I am going to take advantage of him....i mean the deal.)

The thing is, I was buying it for the head. Plus, the idea that I could turn around and sell the cab for more than 400 is very cool. But, is it worth it to hold on to it??? I need to be tight with my money right now, but before I sell of the cab, I wanna know if people have had experience with the cab, and if I should hold on to it.

I will have a nad on Friday, but want peoples thoughts on it now.......thanks.

Why don't you sell the 1960a and buy an Avatar 2x12 with Vintage 30's?
They're brilliant cabs. I mean do you really need a 4x12? They are huge and a pain in the ass..
The gear:

* Epiphone Les Paul Custom
* Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 String
* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone
* Boss DD-3
Sell it imo. For high gain, the G12-75s to me are a scooped, fizzy, flubby mess.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by CarbonDeath
EDIT: Matrix, I know you have owned a 1960. With the equipment you own, its impossible u haven't owned this cab. What is your god honest opinion on it???

I owned one for about 4 years.

They're good cabs, but build quality isn't up to par for the price they cost. With a few mods, they can sound very good (look on YouTube for videos of this). The G12T-75s aren't going to work for everything, but sound great with others. Generally, Marshall voiced amps are going to sound great through it, but more modern amps will sound less than great.

Out of the 5 amps I owned with this, the only one that sounded bad through it was my 5150. The Nitro actually sounded the best through the 1960 than any other cab I tried it through (which was A LOT), the Mark IV, Road King and RM4 sounded good, though I'd assume they'd be better through V30s.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
you know whats up yet you are buying a B52? I would sell the head, keep the cab and look for a better amp
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
Quote by MatrixClaw
I owned one for about 4 years.

They're good cabs, but build quality isn't up to par for the price they cost. With a few mods, they can sound very good (look on YouTube for videos of this). The G12T-75s aren't going to work for everything, but sound great with others. Generally, Marshall voiced amps are going to sound great through it, but more modern amps will sound less than great.

Out of the 5 amps I owned with this, the only one that sounded bad through it was my 5150. The Nitro actually sounded the best through the 1960 than any other cab I tried it through (which was A LOT), the Mark IV, Road King and RM4 sounded good, though I'd assume they'd be better through V30s.

+1 And to add..

Both of us have had the same issues with this cab. I've also got some pics I can post that shows the sh!tty quality and build process and after mods. Also have ran 6 amps through it and while some sounded better then others the end result was still horrible tone and alot of tweaking to get it to sound decent.
We'll I'm going to sell it. I love the sound of the B-52, so I'm going to sell it and make my money back. I'll still have a NAD tomorrow sometime......
Quote by LuthierofTexas
Quote by CarbonDeath
We'll I'm going to sell it. I love the sound of the B-52, so I'm going to sell it and make my money back. I'll still have a NAD tomorrow sometime......

Nothing beats getting an amp for free and some side cash...