Is there any tremelo thats a drop in replacemement for a sg, screwing a few new holes is fine, I just don't want to do any routing.

Edit: I don't need dive bombs, just a little vibrato. A bigsby looks good. I didn't know they were drop in replacements though. Is there only one type or many (kinda like floyd roses, licensed ones etc).
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Last edited by JoePerry4life at Jul 1, 2009,
idk maybe a bigsby??
cuz if u want to do divebombs or something like that, ur gonna need to do some routing for a floyd rose trem...
A Bigsby maybe. If you are going to just do a little vibrato, not dive bombs, you would be fine.
i have a prototype of such a trem unit that is currently not in production but may be produced by indie guitars once the UK patent is certified.. it's one of about 6 prototypes in existence and is fitted to my epi G-400, but that may not be very helpful as it could take a long time before it's in production if it ever is lol.

apart from that, you can get a couple of different maestro style vibrato units from allparts.com which should just require a few holes to drill for the attachment screws.. i can't comment on the reliability however.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Theres a shop near me with a Epiphone SG in with a Bigsby, its well worth it!
stetsbar, supposed to be really easy to install and should be pretty stable
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
OR just practise and practise until you develop a good vibrato with your fingers :P
Quote by forsaknazrael
^Oh sweet, you can apply even vibrato to all six strings in a full chord?

You gotta show me how to do that....

what? :S lol
Quote by Stuart90
what? :S lol

you just got owned.

i'd say stetsbar, it would have the most versatility as a tremolo, doing both divebombs and vibrato. More versatility=possibly better resale.

not to mention the stets bar will install with no other modifications on most guitars, so you can go back to the TOM whenever you want
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Stetsbar.

But on the cheaper side, http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar_tremolos/Les_Trem_Stop-Tailpiece_Tremolo.html

It's still $163 and the Stetsbar is $219. It just depends on what you want to spend. The Stetsbar is the higher quality choice and it's only $60 more. IMO, you don't really want to skimp on tremolos or you'll likely lose tuning stability. Also, you can't dive with Les Trem. It works like a Bigsby for the most part and only gives you about a 1/2 step in either direction.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Jul 1, 2009,
Quote by conor1148
you just got owned.

Pfft by someone on internet? oh how my heart bleeds but in reality, all bars do is take away an ability and I wasn't on about all 6 strings, if you wanted to be a good guitarist then your learn vibrato through playing and pratising, not relying on a bar to do it for you
Quote by Stuart90
Pfft by someone on internet? oh how my heart bleeds but in reality, all bars do is take away an ability and I wasn't on about all 6 strings, if you wanted to be a good guitarist then your learn vibrato through playing and pratising, not relying on a bar to do it for you

So you're gonna pull a Brad Paisley and call someone who uses a tremolo a pussy? There are things you can do on a trem that you can't do any other way. You're gonna call Vai, Hendrix, Jeff Beck, Scott Henderson, etc. bad guitar players because they use the whammy bar? And what ability do they take away?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by Stuart90

yes... because any REAL guitarist can do vibrato on chords! and open notes!!!

pfft! mr. i-want-a-tremolo!

Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...
Quote by mmolteratx
So you're gonna pull a Brad Paisley and call someone who uses a tremolo a pussy? There are things you can do on a trem that you can't do any other way. You're gonna call Vai, Hendrix, Jeff Beck, Scott Henderson, etc. bad guitar players because they use the whammy bar? And what ability do they take away?

No, I never said that did I? What I was saying and ALL I was saying was something I learnt from Paul Gilbert (who used guitars with tremolos and without, so don't think too far ahead with what I said) is that using a bar can take away a skill that you may need. Yes, there are songs where you will need a whammy bar but to test you skills on guitar and make things sound more of your own style, a great vibrato is a good way to make things sound your own way.
Quote by Stuart90
No, I never said that did I? What I was saying and ALL I was saying was something I learnt from Paul Gilbert (who used guitars with tremolos and without, so don't think too far ahead with what I said) is that using a bar can take away a skill that you may need. Yes, there are songs where you will need a whammy bar but to test you skills on guitar and make things sound more of your own style, a great vibrato is a good way to make things sound your own way.

It's kinda the vibe I was getting when I read your post. But how many guitarists use it for minor vibrato all the time? Most people I know use it for different effects, like sounding like a slide, hitting some quarter notes, imitating other instruments, flutter, etc.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Yeah I know but all I was saying that look at guitarists like Brian May from Queen, he used a bar but his vibrato was amazing without using a bar. All I was doing was trying to point out that not having a bar has it advantages. Also Brain May made great use of the bar but there was no need to try and make what I said sound wrong. I was just pointing out a good vibrato is helpful without a bar. It jsut seems on UG, all people seem to do is try to prove another person wrong. Whether with grammar or what they say, its kinda sad but whatever.
and plus the vibe you get when you read something, its how YOU look at it. You can't get how someone means it by what you just read.
Quote by forsaknazrael
I understand what you're saying, but you're making an assumption on what the threadstarter wants a bar for.
How are you any different? How is you coming in here, saying all that, not you being out to "prove another person wrong"?

Let the threadstarter use his guitar for what he likes.

Christ, I was only suggesting, can even suggest anything on this site anymore without someone trying to prove you wrong or out of topic.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Sorry, the very sarcastic phrase "OR just practise and practise until you develop a good vibrato with your fingers :P" doesn't come off as a suggestion for me. It sounds more like a chide remark meant to deride the original poster, and the use of a guitar accessory.

Well how the hell are you meant to get good at anything unless you practise and practise?!
That's not what I'm getting at.
You do not know all the exact purposes that the threadstarter plans to use a trem for. You cannot assume it's only to apply simple vibrato.

If he wants vibrato than goes both up and down in pitch, he won't get that by using his fingers. If he wants even vibrato on several strings like on a chord, he won't get that with his fingers.

You assumed that he cannot do vibrato, and therefore wants a bar to supplement his poort technique.
Quote by forsaknazrael
That's not what I'm getting at.
You do not know all the exact purposes that the threadstarter plans to use a trem for. You cannot assume it's only to apply simple vibrato.

If he wants vibrato than goes both up and down in pitch, he won't get that by using his fingers. If he wants even vibrato on several strings like on a chord, he won't get that with his fingers.

You assumed that he cannot do vibrato, and therefore wants a bar to supplement his poort technique.

What you mean I assume? How do you know?
I know all that but you have clearly taken this all too far in an attempt to prove someone wrong.
since he didn't want a Floyd Rose, all Bigsby's can really do is add vibrato which all I suggested was he worked on technique. But if he wanted vibrato on all the strings then he just won't listen to me and get it done anyway. But you have seen it has a chance to try and put it right about me saying it. You didn't have to say anything at all
Quote by Stuart90
I know all that but you have clearly taken this all too far in an attempt to prove someone wrong.
since he didn't want a Floyd Rose, all Bigsby's can really do is add vibrato which all I suggested was he worked on technique. But if he wanted vibrato on all the strings then he just won't listen to me and get it done anyway. But you have seen it has a chance to try and put it right about me saying it. You didn't have to say anything at all

you were wrong from the beginning, we had nothing to prove

i mean, once you find a way to apply vibrato that brings the pitch down without changing frets or some sort of non-fixed bridge, by all means we'd love to know.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Quote by conor1148

Err. Nope. You got it wrong. It's cool though. I think it's a better option, but you need to drill holes, so it's not drop in.

Edit: Never mind. I goofed. I looked at it and assumed...then I went back and read it.
How does it stay on? Is it stick on?
Last edited by 667 at Jul 1, 2009,
Quote by 667
Err. Nope. You got it wrong. It's cool though. I think it's a better option, but you need to drill holes, so it's not drop in.

oh really? the only thing that connects to the body is those two large holes that goes where the stop bar thing is.

the other screw holes are from the plate to the bigsby.
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Quote by conor1148
oh really? the only thing that connects to the body is those two large holes that goes where the stop bar thing is.

the other screw holes are from the plate to the bigsby.

I edited my previous post.
Quote by 667
I edited my previous post.

its all good,the plate bolts on throguh the huge holes onto the stop bar, the bigbsy bolts onto the tiny screws.

high five for putting up with my douchebaggery
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Quote by 667

The Les Trem doesn't have as much tuning stability as the Stetsbar, though.

Quote by Stuart90