Hello everyone!

I've been planning to buy myself a new guitar in a couple of months, maybe as a Christmas present or something. But because I am extremely poor and most of the year unemployed, the planning must be made with utter accuracy.

My latest interests in music are Punk Rock (not 70's raw and dumb thrashing), but more arty punking; and Grunge, espesially Nirvana's music, but also Pearl Jam, Paw, The Melvins (of course!) and Hole.

I've been scanning through their equipment and it seems that Fender Stratocaster is a very popular choice. Inspired by that fact, I designed a fantasy guitar, which is an all-black Stratocaster with two single-coil pickups and a humbucker in the bridge. But my problem is the guitar itself. It seems like there a dozens of Stratocasters available, and I'm not sure which one to pick. Buying an old one seems odd, because newer might be better (somehow), but buying a new one is more expensive and confusing.

So what do you think? I need opinions.

Thanks in advance!
The important thing is to never stop questioning. - Albert Einstein
Last edited by nyrhinen at Jul 1, 2009,
well pearl jam uses teles sometimes and i believe kurt cobain had a jag? not sure on that though.
you should look at finding like a gibson or epiphone SG with P-90's in it. stone gossard and the other guitarist for pearl jam played SG's on acouple songs and eddie even played one with P-90's in it on acouple songs. look on ebay for like used gibsons or epiphones. you just might find one that would be in your price range. plus you dont see too many people playing SG's with P-90's in them. that would be cool.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
Quote by metalhead805
fender jaguar or jazzmaster

Quote by Kilimacory
well pearl jam uses teles sometimes and i believe kurt cobain had a jag? not sure on that though.

I don't want to start a flame war, but Telecaster is damn ugly!

Jazzmaster and Jaguar I considered, but they seemed a bit too hard to customize. I might end up with a jazz or a surf sound instead of a raw grunge howling, dunno. But they look really nice!

Quote by iceh88
you should look at finding like a gibson or epiphone SG with P-90's in it. stone gossard and the other guitarist for pearl jam played SG's on acouple songs and eddie even played one with P-90's in it on acouple songs. look on ebay for like used gibsons or epiphones. you just might find one that would be in your price range. plus you dont see too many people playing SG's with P-90's in them. that would be cool.

Thank you, I'll have to write this down.

Suggestions are still welcome.
Last edited by nyrhinen at Jul 1, 2009,
Ya the strat is a very good guitar for rock/grunge stuff, alot of people like Hendrix, Clapton, and Cobain had one, and they definite showed how it handles, but of course u cant forget that alot of the sound comes from the amp/effects/guitarist, if u have a good amp, good use of whatever pedals u use, and if u have good skill you can make alot of guitars sound good. (coWhich im sure you realize) Now if you were to give me $300-$600 and say pick out a good sounding guitar for grunge and music of the sort, i would seek out this guitar:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Standard-Stratocaster-HSS-Electric-Guitar-105156673-i1431994.gc

Which is pretty much what u described, 2 single coils and a humbucker at the bridge, so you could go find this and then boom ur set. It will give off a good sound (with all the previously mentioned items) and you'll get the sound you want with a little tweaking. But now heres my advice to you, dont pick a guitar based on what u see others playing, i sound hypocrital right now because i wanted a Thunder bird bass because 2 of my favorite bassists are Shavo Odadjian and Nikki Sixx, but when i went to try a T-bird out i realized i wasnt really in love with the guitar, it was better than my other bass which was only a yamaha P/J Combo so i cant say it was a horrible bass, it just wasnt what i was really looking for. I kept searching and i found a fender delux jazz bass, and no it wasnt some heavy rock sound but it was an excellent sound, i could make it have a warm jazzy tone or a punchy precision bass sound, so it was great. Now im not saying dont buy a strat, if its what u want, if its what sounds best when u play it, and if u just like it more than any other ones, definitely buy it, but im saying go look around and try some other guitars before u buy anything. There could be a telecaster that you like more or an SG you like more, or you could just end back at strat which is all up to u. Hope this helped you out a bit
punk?..grunge?

any guitar with humbuckers..it dosent event need to sound good.punk is ALOT about attitude and not good sounding.. same grunge bands...but if you want a sweet clean sound like pearl jams a strat would be nicer

oh jeez sorry.my bad xD the fender mustang, jagmaster would be nice yes
Last edited by hitl at Jul 1, 2009,
Quote by nyrhinen
I don't want to start a flame war, but Telecaster is damn ugly!

Jazzmaster and Jaguar I considered, but they seemed a bit too hard to customize. I might end up with a jazz or a surf sound instead of a raw grunge howling, dunno. But they look really nice!

Thank you, I'll have to write this down.

Suggestions are still welcome.

ya i definitely support the idea of an SG with some nice pickups in it
If you wanna be really cool, you could get a Jagstang . I've actually played it at a local shop used. It was awesome! Gave off a sweet sort of Nirvana sound with a little bit of amp tweeking. It might be a little expensive though
Quote by JAustinMunn

My first guitar still has residue from an unfortunate ranch dressing incident

Quote by jpnyc
I played this guitar once. It unleashed the ****ing fury and I got kicked out of Guitar Center.
If you can play it, it can make the music you want. First focus on finding a guitar you REALLY like the feel of.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
i have an epiphone les paul standard plus (http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Standard-Plus-Top-Electric-Guitar-518341-057-i1149990.gc) and i have to say, it is quite versatile. as far as what you are looking to play, with a little fiddling of the knobs it can get a very grunge sound on the lower string and at the same time a very green day/sex pistols ound on the middle strings. it's really an amazing axe for the money.
First of all "Grunge" is more of a marketing term than anything I mean Pearl Jam and Nirvana are completely different groups with completely different sounds and somehow they are both "Grunge" ?

Pearl Jam is typically leaning more to classic rock in sound than nirvana especially after the first album.

Pearl Jam`s guitar pieces have much more blues influence than nirvana.

Pearl Jam sounds like a Tele or Strat where I honestly have no real clue about nirvana with all that feedback.
Quote by Taylor B
First of all "Grunge" is more of a marketing term than anything I mean Pearl Jam and Nirvana are completely different groups with completely different sounds and somehow they are both "Grunge" ?

Pearl Jam is typically leaning more to classic rock in sound than nirvana especially after the first album.

Pearl Jam`s guitar pieces have much more blues influence than nirvana.

Pearl Jam sounds like a Tele or Strat where I honestly have no real clue about nirvana with all that feedback.

Well, I use the term "Grunge" to describe bands that appeared around 87-91 in Seattle area (Olympia and, um... Aberdeen?), but to me they are Alternative Rock that can be categorized like you mentioned. Still, bands that really are Grunge are pretty easy to recognise, in my opinion.
Quote by DwizzleDizzle
Ya the strat is a very good guitar for rock/grunge stuff, alot of people like Hendrix, Clapton, and Cobain had one, and they definite showed how it handles, but of course u cant forget that alot of the sound comes from the amp/effects/guitarist, if u have a good amp, good use of whatever pedals u use, and if u have good skill you can make alot of guitars sound good. (coWhich im sure you realize) Now if you were to give me $300-$600 and say pick out a good sounding guitar for grunge and music of the sort, i would seek out this guitar:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Standard-Stratocaster-HSS-Electric-Guitar-105156673-i1431994.gc

Which is pretty much what u described, 2 single coils and a humbucker at the bridge, so you could go find this and then boom ur set. It will give off a good sound (with all the previously mentioned items) and you'll get the sound you want with a little tweaking. But now heres my advice to you, dont pick a guitar based on what u see others playing, i sound hypocrital right now because i wanted a Thunder bird bass because 2 of my favorite bassists are Shavo Odadjian and Nikki Sixx, but when i went to try a T-bird out i realized i wasnt really in love with the guitar, it was better than my other bass which was only a yamaha P/J Combo so i cant say it was a horrible bass, it just wasnt what i was really looking for. I kept searching and i found a fender delux jazz bass, and no it wasnt some heavy rock sound but it was an excellent sound, i could make it have a warm jazzy tone or a punchy precision bass sound, so it was great. Now im not saying dont buy a strat, if its what u want, if its what sounds best when u play it, and if u just like it more than any other ones, definitely buy it, but im saying go look around and try some other guitars before u buy anything. There could be a telecaster that you like more or an SG you like more, or you could just end back at strat which is all up to u. Hope this helped you out a bit

Precisely what I was thinking. You can't go wrong with and HSS strat
yep these threads are so redundant, look at what the guys were using in your fave band then copy them.

And saying you are so poor so what there`s a global recession on most peeps are poor or poorer `cos of it live with it or improve the situation.
Quote by ibanezgod1973
And saying you are so poor so what there`s a global recession on most peeps are poor or poorer `cos of it live with it or improve the situation.

I said I was poor so that you guys wouldn't suggest me guitars costing thousands of dollars. And I know there are much poorer people than I am, but so what? They should deal with their situation, like you said! Yeah, get over it you bum. I don't mind if you have a cancer, but can't afford medical treatment. It's your own fault.

By the way, the "global recession" isn't noticeable here in Finland. Nothing has changed in average Joe's life.
rather then claiminhg your so poor then why not post a budget, better still go to a 2nd hand store like what kurt cobain(and many others) used to do frequently and get some beat up guitar that `s got some character.

Yes look at my sig, i`ve got expensive guitars but i`ve worked my ass off to be able to afford them.

good luck to you
Strats, Teles, Jags, Mustangs, Jazzmaster. A Gibson LP Junior, or an SG with P90's, or maybe the Epiphone LP with P-90s. There is a ton of guitars that can get a great punk sound.