Hey all, its been a while since I have been on these forums.. although I do check out the sites reviews/news a lot!

I am currently trying to deal with the stress of buying a new amp, I have been using a Peavey Vavleking for about 2-3 years now! Ive played a lot of gigs with that amp and recorded around 4 E.P.'s.. and played high profile gigs with it but now its falling apart and I want to move onto a better sounding amp.

All I really need is something with a more detailed tight distortion and a great clean (I do not like using pedals).

I have been looking at the 5150 but after looking into it, I cant shake the feeling that the cleans will be no better than the Valveking, with no depth what-so-ever and a very overpowering un-musical sound. I dont want to have to messing round with guitars volume knob ect.. its just not for me.

I have also been considering getting a rack, as I like many different styles of music and I already have a G-major effects processor.. I have been looking the ADA MP-1 and it seems very promising, I have heard some great clips of it and I know I can get a good clean sound with a midi setup as I can fine tune my clean presets. (I would be gettin a VHT 2/50/2 to use with the preamp if i get it).

I have a budget of around 800-1000 pounds MAX I mainly play metal and rock! I am a very serious musician and I need something that does the job! I dunno, just thought you guys might kick up some things I hadnt considered.

Cheers for any help.. chris. (sorry for the essay!)
Quote by Count Seanula
If you want to solo then solo, if he wants to solo then he should solo, if your bassist wants to solo...slap him
Last edited by synth002 at Jul 1, 2009,
800-1000 what? Also, what kind of metal and rock do you play, that's pretty much saying you play everything.
the 6505 is the newer version of the 5150 and i found has much more tightness esp when your play low. laney vc50/100 are also amazingly good, it will be an ebay job to find them cause they dont produce them anymore but the distortion is really tight but still retains loads of tone and the clean channel is nice and crisp. if not look at some blackstar amps and hughes and kettner.
guessing dollars? as its most common, but ghey... who knows :P

erm... howcomes you hate using pedals??? is that just distorion wise? or like... everything?? was, delay, chorus etc etc etc
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...
800-1000 pound.. I play anything from arch enemy to guns n roses.. although the metal comes first! I would be willing to just 'wing' the more classic stuff.
Quote by Count Seanula
If you want to solo then solo, if he wants to solo then he should solo, if your bassist wants to solo...slap him
Last edited by synth002 at Jul 1, 2009,
I play live a lot and dont like having loads of wires everywhere, I dont mind delay ect. But not overdrive pedals.
Quote by Count Seanula
Cool, I will look into ENGL amps a bit.
Quote by Count Seanula
Okay, so im gonna go and try out the ENGL fireball this weekend and also the 6505.. I may also try the orange.
Quote by Count Seanula
engl would be worth a look, but they might be over budget, the prices have risen recently due to the unfavourable exchange rate. does that budget have to cover a cab too?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I would not personally suggest a Orange Rocker if he is gigging and likes to play clean, as you are left with not a whole lot of headroom. It is an odd change to go from a 5150 to a Rocker 30, as well. The AD30 has more gain, though. It might be worth looking into.

An ENGL Fireball is a nice choice.

Also, a Bogner Alchemist is pretty sweet.

There is the Laney GH50L, or VH100R, or a TT50H, as well.

You could probably pick up a Line6 Vetta II second-hand within your price and that would give you all the options for tonal scaping that may need:
Maybe you could ask for the Head on it's own? Otherwise, I've seen combos sell regularly from ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Line-6-Vetta-II-Amp-Head-4x12-cab-FBV-ONLY-1200_W0QQitemZ280365949150QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL?hash=item41471ce0de&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1688|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Here are a few others to look into:

I haven't played this personally, but many people view it very highly, and the price tag for them new in Britain is very high.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mesa-Boogie-Mark-IV-UK-European-version-mk-4_W0QQitemZ330341674824QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL?hash=item4ce9e5ef48&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A4|39%3A1|72%3A1688|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A200

Some hate this. I don't. It's not quite as nice as the Vetta II, though.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Line-6-Spider-Valve-212-Combo-Amp-Amplifier-2-12_W0QQitemZ290324979067QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL?hash=item4398b79d7b&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A4|39%3A1|72%3A1688|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A200

This doesn't have seriously high gains like other Mesa amps, but it still is very optional.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mesa-Boogie-F-100-2x12-Combo-Amplifier_W0QQitemZ200352295938QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL?hash=item2ea5ed6c02&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A4|39%3A1|72%3A1688|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A200

This sounds like a great deal.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PEAVEY-JSX-AMP-HEAD-120W-EXCELLENT-CONDITION-WITH-COVER_W0QQitemZ330339689914QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL?hash=item4ce9c7a5ba&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A4|39%3A1|72%3A1688|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A200

These are new and I haven't played them. But worth researching and trying out.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Blackstar-Series-One-100-Watt-Head-Guitar-Amplifier_W0QQitemZ370222010649QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL?hash=item5632f39119&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A4|39%3A1|72%3A1688|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A200

Carvins are supposed to be very nice amps but are hard to find in the UK and Europe; I haven't played one.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Carvin-V3-50-100W-3-Channel-100-Valve-Head-NR_W0QQitemZ180372563819QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL?hash=item29ff0ae76b&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A4|39%3A1|72%3A1688|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A2|294%3A200

Marshall's are not particularly recommended as I don't personally think their cleans are all that great... unless you go for the higher end models such as a JVM, TSL, Kerry King or possibly an old JCM800 2203.
Quote by Dave_Mc
engl would be worth a look, but they might be over budget, the prices have risen recently due to the unfavourable exchange rate. does that budget have to cover a cab too?

Hey, well the Engl Fireball is JUST over budget, not even 100 pound over, but if I liked it enough i could stretch an extra few quid. I already have a cab for the moment.

Angrygoldfish = Thanks man, I have work now but later I will check all those out, cheers!

chris.
Quote by Count Seanula
I think one of the biggest problems with getting a good amp is finding a place to try the damn things!! I always get the feeling that unless you have cash on you shops dont want you playing with the amp's. Its actually a real downer!!
Quote by Count Seanula
See if you can find a Cornford Hellcat or MK60.

Check out Matamp, they make great stuff as well.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by synth002
I think one of the biggest problems with getting a good amp is finding a place to try the damn things!! I always get the feeling that unless you have cash on you shops dont want you playing with the amp's. Its actually a real downer!!
I understand that, very much so. The best thing I found to do, is say, "I've got £2000 to spend on an amplifier, what have you got for me?" And try and go to the stores just before closing time so that they have few customers. That way you can crank the amp and not disturb anyone. One store in Manchester let me max a 50 watt Orange Rockerverb because I asked for the personal time while they were closing up. It wasn't my cup of tea, but they understood.

If you really want to try out amps, as suggested, Matamp will let you play for hours on end at whatever volumes. They allow you to plug into any speaker cabinet with any guitar they own. You will also recieve a personal explanation of that particular amp's tones, which are always superb.
Quote by Raijouta
See if you can find a Cornford Hellcat or MK60.

Check out Matamp, they make great stuff as well.

Cheers man, I actually tried out a whole bunch of amps back at the start of the year.. I tried a Marshall DSL, Randall MTS, Mesa triplpe rectifier a diezel vh4 AND an MK50II.

Out of ALL of the the one that sounded best to be was the MK50II, it really is an amazing amp.. just feels great. I had planned to get the MK50II but after a month or so of saving I was made redundant and its taken me a while to find another job so my savings were raided and now I think about it I dont feel I can really justify spending 1800 quid on a guitar amp. The original MK50 is tempting but one thing that was always on my mind with the MK50, im not sure the low end would be totally suitable for metal.. I mean its a great tone NO DOUBT but im not sure if it would be tight and thunderous enough to sound right on record. I sound like a kid now!. I love many styles of music but metal is my main focus atm.
Quote by Count Seanula
Quote by AngryGoldfish
I understand that, very much so. The best thing I found to do, is say, "I've got £2000 to spend on an amplifier, what have you got for me?" And try and go to the stores just before closing time so that they have few customers. That way you can crank the amp and not disturb anyone. One store in Manchester let me max a 50 watt Orange Rockerverb because I asked for the personal time while they were closing up. It wasn't my cup of tea, but they understood.

If you really want to try out amps, as suggested, Matamp will let you play for hours on end at whatever volumes. They allow you to plug into any speaker cabinet with any guitar they own. You will also recieve a personal explanation of that particular amp's tones, which are always superb.

Cool man, thanks for the advice!
Quote by Count Seanula
Quote by synth002
Hey, well the Engl Fireball is JUST over budget, not even 100 pound over, but if I liked it enough i could stretch an extra few quid. I already have a cab for the moment.

oh ok. it's very aimed at metal- if you're playing a lot of rock too, the blackmore or screamer would likely also be worth a try.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
look for a used orange rockerverb 50

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Okay, so ive looked into it a bit and Im goin to try out the following heads..

-Engl Firebal
-Engl Blackmore sig
-Laney vh100r
-Laney TT50H

Just such a drag that I have to wait till next weekend to try them, only place that stocks them all is 3 hours away 'n im really not wanting to drive all that way today!

cheers, chris.
Quote by Count Seanula
those laneys would definitely be worth a try too, good idea. if they have anything else around your budget which you suspect would do what you want (even if you don't), try them too, as you're making such a long trip.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
blackstar series one?
Quote by rorypearce
"Orange amp owners unite"?

......form of... Tiny terror

Quote by CullenT
^

WIN!
yeah, you might as well try those new blackstars if you can find them. might even be worth putting off your trip for a week or two to make sure they've been released to try. i haven't tried them.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
cool, thanks for the heads up!
Quote by Count Seanula
Hey, just a little update!

I ended up getting myself a used Peavey 5150II+5150 4x12 cabinet all for 750, the head is in as new condition and the cab is almost spotless too (thank god for bedroom players haha). I just picked it up this weekend just gone, I had expected it to be a little worn and be pretty noisey but as its as new and no buzzing!

A while after I got home with it I started to realise the tone had a pretty annoying underlying buzzy quality to it and couldnt dial it out and I started to worry a little after reading it was the nature of the amp, so not knowing what else to do I changed the preamp tubes to all Tung-sol 12ax7's and one JJ ECC81 (for the phase inverter position, I had these tubes spare laying around) and althought it was a small step in the right direction It was definatly still there.. so next I changed the power tubes from RUBY's to SOVTEK 6l6 wxt+ the second I switched the amp back on all the buzzines had gone!!

Its now a great amp, the cleans are MILES better than the valvekings (and because Im running a g-major & midi mate to control the rig I have a nice reverb with a very subtle chorus to really 'lushen' them up haha) they are totally useable, 100%. The distortion is now great too, I have the gain set set at 1 O'Clock and its not buzzy or muddy at all, in fact its silky smooth! It can now handle the big chords I like to use, giving them a rich defined quality (I also EQ it a little with the G-major just to make it a little more thunderous and tidy up the middle n top.

So yeh, just wanted to let you guys know! Just need to decide which cabinet to sell now, the Peavey 5150 cab or my marshall 1936 2x12.. hmmmm.. gonna have to do a side by side with the whole band!

cheers, chris.
Quote by Count Seanula
sweet, nice score
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Cheers guys, thanks for your help! Will be uploading a demo video to youtube soon, will have to post on here also.

chris.
Quote by Count Seanula
I'm not so keen on the 5150's or 5150II
s for that matter but still HNAD!

"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."