I've got about $1200 to spend on a guitar and I find myself playing a lot of metal lately and wishing I had a locking tremolo for dive bombs and the like. But I've heard a lot of stories about how much of a pain getting a guitar with a locking tremolo to stay in tune and stuff is. Is that only true for lower-end guitars or all around?
Quote by Spitz13
**** you, i live in uruguay.
it's more work, but if you use the trem a lot it's worth it, kind of thing. you'll more than likely get used to it, too (the extra work).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Locking trems are Gods at staying in tune...it's just changing tunings or re-tuning that is a pain in the ass...It can totally screw with your action.
Proghead and Proud
Leave the backplate off & have a screwdriver handy & I really don't think it's that much harder than tuning a fixed bridge, maybe slightly longer, but worth it for the length of time it stays in tune, & all those crazy noises.
Floating double-locking tremolos can be a lot of work, however if it's well set up the tuning stability will be fantastic. Some things to be aware of...

1.) Strings will have to be stretched considerably when re-stringing. Most are aware of this, but aren't quite aware how much stretching they actually have to do. When the string has just been locked into position and has yet to be tightened, pull the string away from the guitar neck/body along it's length. When all strings are replaced, tune up. Then start stretching the strings as you did when the strings were loose. You'll notice that the notes strings will go flat. It's necessary to keep retuning and stretching until there is no noticeable drop in pitch. This is time consuming, and strings that aren't completely stretched will give near perfect return to pitch from a dive, but not so from a pullup.

2.) If you should have intonate the bridge, it will be infuriating. The intonation position of a saddle changes with tremolo angle, and the tremolo angle will change with a change in the saddles porition also. This can be a very difficult effect to balance out over 6 strings. The only tremolo I'm aware of that does not suffer from this problem is the Ibanez ZR, though that tremolo has several other limitations.

3.) Changing tunings isn't really feasible, as again the tremolo angle and intonation positions will shift slightly.

Ensuring the absolute optimum performance and tuning stability will be time consuming.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Of course it is. Just less because you don't have to tune as much.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack