i use the flesh of the fingers because i dont like growing nails.but my guitar sounds too soft
get a little more flesh into it, of course the harder you pluck the louder they sound. Try some different strings too, some are louder sounding than others
was gonna suggest growing nails... but if you dont want to, you can get those "pick rings"(lack of a better word) that you put on the end of your fingers and they act as nails for you...
Quote by Bubban
I once had a sudden urge to rape sheep in Scotland after watching CNN, that was pretty freaky.
I hate to state the obvious, but pluck harder?

Actually, make sure you're plucking right over top of the sound hole as well, the closer you get to the bridge the less volume you're going to get.

But really if you're not going to grow your nails you've either got to play harder, or you've got to find yourself a guitar that resonates more.
Quote by metalimaster
was gonna suggest growing nails... but if you dont want to, you can get those "pick rings"(lack of a better word) that you put on the end of your fingers and they act as nails for you...

Those would be called finger picks.

I suggest that idea.
I don't have long nails, but they work fine for fingerpicking. Look at your technique, or maybe grow your nails just a couple of millimeters.
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
have you got calluses on your picking fingers yet? That helps, the soft flesh mutes it a bit. Fiddle around until you get it louder I guess.
Looser Strings helps too as they vibrate more. Try silk and steel D'Addarios

all of the above howerer are good suggestions
Music is an art form that celebrates potential. So long as you're looking for it, you'll always find it.
attach a pickup to your guitar and run it through an amp, perhaps?

that way you won't really need to build a callus, grow your fingernails or pluck the strings harder.
Kinda put more tawng into it. Like popping a bass but not as hard.

Once your finger gets calloused it'll be louder also.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
turn the amp up.
My Gig Rig...

Fender Straocaster or Gibson Les Paul Slash Special -->Lovepedal Amp 50 --> Boss DD-3 --> Crybaby(soon to be Wh10 reissue) --> Big Muff PI --> Boss DS-2 --> Marshall JCM 900
Pluck harder, consider different brands and models of strings, and it's possible your guitar just isn't suited to fingerpicking. Some aren't, and can't handle it well.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
I have a pickup in my acoustic to make me a little louder when i need it.

keep in mind you dont need giant claws to get you nails into contact with the strings.
Mine work fine and you can hardly notice them.

Fingerpciking just isn't as loud as using a pick either.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."