what amp do you think is better for me. The peavey 212 combo or the krank rev jr. I play metallica, slayer, megadeth and pantera. I dont really use effects other than distortion. i wont gig for a while but when i do cant i just buy a cab for the krank to make it loud enough. If neither of these suits me just suggest another one. Thanks
My Gear:

PRS Se Custom 24
Vox Vt 30
Esp Ltd C-301 Bass
Acoustic B100 Bass Amp
Morley Power Wah Bass Pedal
go with a used 5150 combo or a JCM 900 SL-X combo if you want some thrash tones

and budget?
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
I've never heard of a straight Peavey 212 combo, but I have heard of the Peavey 5150/6505.

And the Krank won't have enough gain for those bands. With an OD though, it will do them easily.
Krank will have enough gain for all heavy-metal genres.

If you are not fussed about clean tones, I'd second the 5150 combo used.
Peavey Triple X is worth looking into as well, but I can't really judge properly without a budget estimation, as already mentioned.
Quote by BeethovensBust
I've never heard of a straight Peavey 212 combo, but I have heard of the Peavey 5150/6505.

And the Krank won't have enough gain for those bands. With an OD though, it will do them easily.

the Krank can do it fine without an OD.

and i think he is talking about the Valveking 2x12....
feel free to add me
Go with the peavey dude, krank amps are overrated. Overrated big time. Sales on krank amps didn't sky rocket until dimes death.

Don't support that.

I had a few buddies that bought kranks, and as all of us are, they were excited at first, but months later it was just one issue after the other. They almost all own peaveys now.

I personally dont like peavey ethier. I want a*flameshield* spider valve.
peavy 5150 combo sounds pretty sweet
Last edited by gamer2464 at Jul 1, 2009,
As owner of a Peavey Valveking 112, I advise you: DO NOT buy the Peavey. It will give you more headaches than good music. Instead of an inspiration, it will be a problem. You will have to change the speakers, buy an OD, buy an EQ and even then, I do not guarantee you will like your tone. I sure hate mine.

The Krank is a great amp, as is the 5150. Either one of those options will get you where you want to go.

[]
Guitars:
Jackson WRXT + EMG 81/85
Les Paul
Ibanez SZ320
Amps:
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Cube 30X
Effects:
Dunlop Cry-baby
Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive
Synthetizer:
Roland EXR-5
I would stay away from whatever peavey you are talking about unless its a triple. A 5150 is a very bad choice for the bands you listed so that one especially stay away from.

The Krank should be able to do those bands easily since neither band is really insane on the modern gain side of the spectrum.

If your are looking at something that should do the trick look into the Blackstar HT5 it will probably get you exactly where you want to be tone wise if you like the smaller amp heads. Beyond that though I would look into something with a bit more britsh flavor tube wise. Something like a 3120 should fit you perfectly..

And that said whats your budget?
my budget is around 700 dollars
My Gear:

PRS Se Custom 24
Vox Vt 30
Esp Ltd C-301 Bass
Acoustic B100 Bass Amp
Quote by Vypor
Go with the peavey dude, krank amps are overrated. Overrated big time. Sales on krank amps didn't sky rocket until dimes death.

Since when are they overrated? They're pretty widely hated amps, mainly because people don't know how to use their EQs and draw conclusions without knowing what they're talking about.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Vypor

Don't support that.

I had a few buddies that bought kranks, and as all of us are, they were excited at first, but months later it was just one issue after the other. They almost all own peaveys now.

Do you even know what you are talking about? Christ how much time did you spend on the Krank? The best feature of it is the sweep knob.

Twiddling the sweep knob, I can get Marshall-ish to Mesa-ish tone easily.

I own both amps, I can tell you that while the SV is a pretty nice amp all aound, the Krank is a significantly better amp. The SV is not a bad amp, but I find the Kranks are better to use. Hell I'd even be willing to sell you my SV.

Quote by MatrixClaw
Since when are they overrated? They're pretty widely hated amps, mainly because people don't know how to use their EQs and draw conclusions without knowing what they're talking about.

Finally, someone who can see why the Kranks aren't bad amps. Its MC no less... that deserves a . Still I agree that its not an amp for everyone.

Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
the Krank can do it fine without an OD.

No dude, if he's talking about the standard, it might not be able to do it. However, the Pro will do just fine. I understand that the Jr standard has a lot less gain compared to the Pro.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
Finally, someone who can see why the Kranks aren't bad amps. Its MC no less... that deserves a . Still I agree that its not an amp for everyone

Krank makes great amps, and are very high quality. Their lead tech, Pat, is a cool guy and has worked on a few of my amps

The Rev sounds very similar to a Mesa Mark IV, the Stein has its own thing goin, but it's a cool amp. I'm glad they're finally starting to get recognized over at Harmony-Central, before they were avoided like the plague. Once you know how to use them, they have some great tones in them, people write them off too quickly because of opinions they've heard before, or because they're too impatient to figure out that there's a sweep knob.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by ragingkitty
No dude, if he's talking about the standard, it might not be able to do it. However, the Pro will do just fine. I understand that the Jr standard has a lot less gain compared to the Pro.

I was talking about the Pro tho.
thats the only Krank JR i tried.
and i cant wait to try the K-Stein JR.

and i agree with Matrix about the Krank amps being hated by most people who cant use their Eq's and i also hate the Krank fanboys that goes nuts after a krank hater post something bad about the Kranks.
feel free to add me
Quote by Vypor

Don't support that.

Krank amps were selling huge after Dime first endorsed em.

The Rev Jr. is a bit of a gimmick. You're buying the full priced preamp with the 1/4 sized amp. You can nab a 5150, bugera, Line 6 Vetta, Carvin V3 halfstack for under $800 if you do some searching.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MatrixClaw

Krank makes great amps, and are very high quality. Their lead tech, Pat, is a cool guy and has worked on a few of my amps

The Rev sounds very similar to a Mesa Mark IV, the Stein has its own thing goin, but it's a cool amp. I'm glad they're finally starting to get recognized over at Harmony-Central, before they were avoided like the plague. Once you know how to use them, they have some great tones in them, people write them off too quickly because of opinions they've heard before, or because they're too impatient to figure out that there's a sweep knob.

It sounds similar to a Mark IV?

What settings did you use, gimmie.

I've gotten close to Mesa-ish but I didn't realise it sounds similar to a Mark IV.

Yeah I agree that Pat's a cool guy, I like how he'd actually log on to the forums on a daily basis to speak to the forumites.

Sadly enough I feel, that the best feature of a Krank is also its undoing. The sweep knob makes the whole EQ so interactive that its not exactly a plug and play amp.

Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
I was talking about the Pro tho.
thats the only Krank JR i tried.
and i cant wait to try the K-Stein JR.

and i agree with Matrix about the Krank amps being hated by most people who cant use their Eq's and i also hate the Krank fanboys that goes nuts after a krank hater post something bad about the Kranks.

I just had a re-read of my post, for some reason I read that you felt the Rev Pro would NOT be able to do it without an OD... strange... my bad

What's special about the K-stein Jr? The Krank forums seem extremely excited about its impending arrival.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jul 1, 2009,
Quote by ragingkitty
What's special about the K-stein Jr? The Krank forums seem extremely excited about its impending arrival.

well i leiked the K-Stein's Distortion (But i HATE teh cleans) so i might go with this one as my new amp
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
well i leiked the K-Stein's Distortion (But i HATE teh cleans) so i might go with this one as my new amp

Hmm I've got to go try one when it comes into my local shop then, but then again I don't need another piece of GAS, the Mesa GAS is painful enough.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by BeethovensBust

Sorry I confused everyone. I meant the Krank Rev Jr, not the Jr. Pro.

Krank Rev Jr

Krank Rev Jr Pro

The difference is approx $200... get the Pro... it's better suited to metal as compared to the standard. If you skimp on the Pro and get the standard, you're gonna need to spend money on an OD or a dist pedal to get the metal sound.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jul 2, 2009,
Quote by ragingkitty
Krank Rev Jr

Krank Rev Jr Pro

The difference is approx $200... get the Pro... it's better suited to metal as compared to the standard. If you skimp on the Pro and get the standard, you're gonna need to spend money on an OD or a dist pedal to get the metal sound.

Exactly. The Krank Rev Jr + a nice OD (which would run you near $200 anyways) is about the same price as the Pro.
STAY AWAY FROM THE KRANK!

This is from personal experience. I own a FJA modded 6505 and a Krank Rev. JR pro.

I bought the Krank 2 months after I sold my VHT UL pitbull(thought I was quitting music) in order to be my replacement amp while I save up for a better one.
My experience with it was that at first it was awesome, it had a very tight and articulate tone. I think it suits metallica quite well. I was able to hook it up into my 4x12 and it was loud enough to be heard over a drummer.

BUT here's the drawbacks, First I bought amp new and didn't receive a footswitch in the box.

Second a month later after using the amp regularly I started to get high pitched sounds when my amp was on, and no it wasn't my pickups/guitar I have lundgren M6's into a ISP decimator.
I even took the instrument cable out of the amp to see if it could have been my guitar and the amp still produced a high pitch sound.

I eventually decided enough is enough and bought a FJA 6505.

I would stay from the peavey 212, I heard bad stuff about it. Like the speakers tend to sound muffled and that you'll eventually need to buy an EQ to get a decent metal sound from it.

Look for a used 5150, they usually sell for around $700.

Goodluck!
-Walter
I'd say that your best option is a Line 6 Vetta. They sell used for about $700 in 2x12" combo form, and it's one of the most versatile amps, period.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I would suggest saving up for a peavey 3120. It does just about any kind of metal, has a decent clean tone, has a line out for recording, fx loop with adjustable levels, as well as other cool features. Also according to the most recent Guitar Center catalog I received they are doing the free 4x12 cab again. Price is $999.99usd
Quote by Overture1989
Second a month later after using the amp regularly I started to get high pitched sounds when my amp was on, and no it wasn't my pickups/guitar I have lundgren M6's into a ISP decimator.
I even took the instrument cable out of the amp to see if it could have been my guitar and the amp still produced a high pitch sound.

Sounds like a bad preamp tube to me...

Quote by oneblackened
I'd say that your best option is a Line 6 Vetta. They sell used for about $700 in 2x12" combo form, and it's one of the most versatile amps, period.

+1, Awesome amps
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Thanks for all the replies and i also was wondering how much is the krakenstein jr stack gonna sell for. thanks
My Gear:

PRS Se Custom 24
Vox Vt 30
Esp Ltd C-301 Bass
Acoustic B100 Bass Amp
Quote by MatrixClaw
Sounds like a bad preamp tube to me...

That was what I was thinking too... but going microphonic after 2 months, and not getting the footswitch... Overture1989 must have had really bad luck on this purchase.

Quote by LTD-F-250
Thanks for all the replies and i also was wondering how much is the krakenstein jr stack gonna sell for. thanks

Check on the Krank forums, I'm sure I saw a their lead tech give a indicative quotation on it about a month back. I think it would cost around the same as a Rev Jr Pro... of which a full stack costs USD999... so it should be around there... maybe +$200 more...
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )