Hi folks, just registered for help on this but get a feeling I may be here a bit when I start my next project.

Here we go, I've got an old Japanese Fender Strat which got modified with two humbuckers and wired like a Les Paul (seperate volume and tone) well, the neck pickup never quite sounded right and recently took it to a tech to look at it who said all the wiring looked good and there must be an internal fault with the pickup. So I put a new one in and it was much improved but the volume pot on that pickup was now very scratchy and cut out through large parts of the sweep so I thought I'd give it a clean. I had a look on the net for advice about using WD40 and there was a mixed bag but I thought I'd give it a shot.

This may have been a mistake. At first, results seemed to be a slight improvement, there was still some scratching but less cutouts. I tried rotating the pot a few more times but then signal from that pickup disapperared completely. I can still hear the sweep of the pot but no noise from the strings.

Basically does it seem that if I replace the pot it should be fine? I'm not sure as I can still hear the sweeping noise when I rotate the pot so thought I'd seek advice before carrying out a maybe needless operation if there is a problem elsewhere.
You should probably replace the pot anyway, as it's quite a cheap and simple thing to do.. it seems like thats your main problem as the wiring was fine..
Quote by rhcp14
pot?

Potentiometer
Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Epiphone G-400
Laney VC30
Boss DS-2
i want some pot
Gear
Fender MIM strat
Epiphone G-400 in white (yeah i know, fuck you i like it)
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Roland Micro Cube
EHX Big Muff
Danelectro Cool Cat Distortion
EHX Nano Small Stone
Boss DD-3 Delay
Vox V847-A Wah
Radial London Bones
Too many easy pot gags .

OK, so it sounds like everything should be cool if I change the pot. Next question, what should I be looking for when I get a new one, what;'s the difference between the different ohm ratings available?
Also, by the way, is there any chance the pot will dry out and become usable again after a bit,or maybe if I use some proper contact cleaner on it then it might be ok as I could do without the hastle of installing a new pot even though it's a simple job. Or is it that if you kill it with WD40 then it stays dead?
Last edited by My Two Jokes at Jul 1, 2009,
Alright this thread needs some actual substance:

The pot sounds like it's internally defective and needs to be replaced, spraying WD-40 on the pot probably did nothing to help your situation and the difference you heard was likely a coincidence.

A dual humbucker guitar needs 500k volume pots so that's what you should look for when purchasing a new one.
Quote by Schism1985
Alright this thread needs some actual substance:

The pot sounds like it's internally defective and needs to be replaced, spraying WD-40 on the pot probably did nothing to help your situation and the difference you heard was likely a coincidence.

A dual humbucker guitar needs 500k volume pots so that's what you should look for when purchasing a new one.

This.

Humbucker guitars almost always use 500k pots.
Quote by letsgocoyote
No I'm not Jesus. I would aspire to be though. I think under circumstances he would let you pay less if you needed to.
Is there an any visual difference between a 250k pot and a 500k? It just dawned on me, when I originally got the guitar rewired I bought a Gibson 500k pot and took it to a tech to do the nescesary. Is it possible he used the original pot from the Fender parts for one of the volume controls and could this be a cause for a problem?
Quote by My Two Jokes
Is there an any visual difference between a 250k pot and a 500k? It just dawned on me, when I originally got the guitar rewired I bought a Gibson 500k pot and took it to a tech to do the nescesary. Is it possible he used the original pot from the Fender parts for one of the volume controls and could this be a cause for a problem?

A 500k pot is substantially larger in size compared to a 250k pot and has "500k" inscribed on the bottom.
^^^Not sure about that. The CTS pots I have are the same size 250k/500k and the same size as the alphas I have. There are smaller pots. Most are either 24mm pots or 16mm pots. The value doesnt really change their size.
Quote by Tackleberry
^^^Not sure about that. The CTS pots I have are the same size 250k/500k and the same size as the alphas I have. There are smaller pots. Most are either 24mm pots or 16mm pots. The value doesnt really change their size.

Oh I actually never knew that, I've always seen 500k pots that are 24mm and 250k pots that are 16mm I guess.

You learn something every day...
just take the back cover off the pot clean it with some fine emory paper then use some contact cleaner put it back together it will be like new also clean the little contact that goes round in there the same way just lightly with the emery. ive done this a hundred times brings the pots back to new and costs nothing.