Page 1 of 4
Because they're alienated by it.
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Because you can say whatever you want online on these forums and have that not impact your life at all.
And some people just really don't like mainstream music or culture.
I play guitar in a ska band.
Modded MIM Strat > Fender Tuner > Bugera V55HD > Custom built 2x12
because a lot of the 14 year old kids like to think of themselves as cool by being "kvlt" on the internet, and think it makes them all unique and noncomformist, and original, and other bull****. I like led zeppelin, i like slash, i love eric clapton, i love jimi hendrix, jimmy page is my hero, i think dire straits are the greatest band to have ever existed, and the beatles are gods the only guitars i own besides a jackson and an ESP are made by fender or gibson, I don't like guitar teachers, i don't listen to death metal, and classic rock and blues are the reason i live... anyone have a fuckin problem with that?
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Jul 1, 2009,
Because they suck.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
What makes up UG?

Guitarists.

What kind of music do most guitarists play?

Rock and its sub-genres.

Rock music is generally leery of mainstream culture, and some of its sub genres (i.e. punk, metal) are even more distanced. Which is why many guitarists distance themselves from mainstream culture/society.

Which is why UG have an aversion to mainstream stuff
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
because a lot of mainstream stuff is proven to suck, like Fall Out Boy and Jonas Brothers, and that makes them think John Mayer or classic rock will suck too.

because many are 13 and trying to fit in. they're sadly doing exactly that.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
It's just the nature of people like us. We are guitarists, musicians.

Our creative, individual side doesn't let us like mainstream stuff. We are into the whole individuality thing.
Today I feel electric grey
I hope tomorrow, neon black
I think it's just a majority of the mainstream music just isn't the genre which UG likes.

Simple as that. Their style of music doesn't get much mainstream attention.

Quote by Våd Hamster
Find a dice and assign a number to each girl. Throw the dice.

The number you hope for at the moment you throw the dice, is the one you'll want to keep.
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
What makes up UG?

Guitarists.

Rock and its sub-genres.

Rock music is generally leery of mainstream culture, and some of its sub genres (i.e. punk, metal) are even more distanced. Which is why many guitarists distance themselves from mainstream culture/society.

/thread

as musicians, we know whats the real deal, and poppy "rock" bands on MTV isnt.
Quote by Ganoosh

Our creative, individual side doesn't let us like mainstream stuff. We are into the whole individuality thing.

Ganoosh for the serious answer. For me personally I think that most of the mainstream culture is just rediculous, and is trying to make everyone the same. I personally love individuality.
This made sense the most out of everything in this thread
THOU SHALL NOT PASS!

My gear is not worth mentioning.
Quote by JayLacelle
because UGers are smarter than the average human being

that's a good one.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by adhuv
because they fear it

Pretty much this, and they fear that it will turn them into a fashion victim.
I don't know about you people but most people I know who 'have an aversion' to mainstream music and/or culture just feel that way because they just don't like it. It all comes down to taste. The people who are bashing people who don't like mainstream music are being more closed-minded than the rest of us. But that's just the way I see things
Quote by Ganoosh

i agree, but i personally think some mainstream stuff is great. For example, the Green Day album i thought was an incredible CD. that and... well never mind. I guess that's the only mainstream stuff i like. But i agree with ganoosh.
equipment:
Gibson SG Special ltd.
Peavey JF2EX
Fender Kingman SCE
Vox AD30Vt
Line6 Spider III 150

Quote by Philip_pepper

Be sure to be able to recite at least one Shakespeare quote before and after each song.

Out loud, or in your head, it's up to you.
because human beings are mostly scum, that's why teh mainstream sucks
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
sorry i meant to say the NEW green day album
equipment:
Gibson SG Special ltd.
Peavey JF2EX
Fender Kingman SCE
Vox AD30Vt
Line6 Spider III 150

Quote by Philip_pepper

Be sure to be able to recite at least one Shakespeare quote before and after each song.

Out loud, or in your head, it's up to you.
Quote by Me
Because they're alienated by it.

Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
because human beings are mostly scum, that's why teh mainstream sucks

Perfect example.
funkyducky

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Because they are scared of it. They think they will become like those bratty, spoiled, uptight girls at their schools.

Also, I approve of your username.

EDIT: Also, it is because they think that the music they like is the only kind of good music, and anyone who doesn't listen to their music is ****ing stupid. And because it is mainstream, they despise it because so many people like it, and not their genre of music.
I love Foxy Shazam more than you.

▲ ▲

Last edited by OzarkMDaredevil at Jul 1, 2009,
Quote by OzarkMDaredevil
Because they are scared of it. They think they will become like those bratty, spoiled, uptight girls at their schools.

This.

Lots of people in the Pit should really read The Catcher In The Rye and learn something out of it.
funkyducky

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
because a lot of the 14 year old kids like to think of themselves as cool by being "kvlt" on the internet, and think it makes them all unique and noncomformist, and original, and other bull****. I like led zeppelin, i like slash, i love eric clapton, i love jimi hendrix, jimmy page is my hero, i think dire straits are the greatest band to have ever existed, and the beatles are gods the only guitars i own besides a jackson and an ESP are made by fender or gibson, I don't like guitar teachers, i don't listen to death metal, and classic rock and blues are the reason i live... anyone have a fuckin problem with that?
Maybe some people genuinely like music that is not popular better. It's not a hard concept.
Because most members of UG have a false sense of elitism over the mainstream and the mainstream followers. I play guitar, therefore I know what makes music REAL music. So I hear things most mainstream can't hear. Right?
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

Last edited by stinger12345 at Jul 1, 2009,
Quote by OzarkMDaredevil

Why thank you
Originally Posted by JayLacelle
because UGers are smarter than the average human being
Quote by Myfirstpubes
/thread

as musicians, we know whats the real deal, and poppy "rock" bands on MTV isnt.

because they know they're not alone when they say elitist things about things that are completely subjective.
Quote by stinger12345
Because most members of UG have a false sense of elitism over the mainstream and the mainstream followers. I play guitar, therefore I know what makes music REAL music. So I hear things most mainstream can't hear. Right?
Maybe some people just don't like mainstream msuic. Maybe some people aren't trying to be cool or different, they just listen to what they want and disregard the fact some music is "mainstream" and some is "underground."
Quote by OzarkMDaredevil

Well partly this and partly what Dirty Makik said, I guess it was because I was always left out by the popular kids who are into mainstream stuff and then I found friends who were into the same kind of things I was, as well as also being alienated. From there I decided that my friends were way better than the "popular" kids and I never wanted to be a "popular" kid because they were all assholes all the time. And I have an I.Q. that is great than that of a monkey
Quote by g_tab_man
i agree, but i personally think some mainstream stuff is great. For example, the Green Day album i thought was an incredible CD. that and... well never mind. I guess that's the only mainstream stuff i like. But i agree with ganoosh.

Well personally, I thought the new Green Day album is just ****. But I do like alot of their other stuff. I mean, I'm all for the whole individuality and fuck the mainstream attitude, but I DO enjoy some mainstream stuff. I listen to alot of rap, etc. But like everyone else here, I am generally repulsed by most mainstream things, just because that's the way I am.

Also, there is something that ALL OF YOU NEED TO REALIZE ABOUT MOST MAINSTREAM MUSIC.

Those musicians are business men. We don't like them because we know about music, and we know that they aren't talented or good at what they do, at all. But anybody who doesn't play an instrument or who isn't familiarized with music listens to that stuff and hears the catchy tune, and they like it. It's all for money.

Soulja Boy? He's not a rapper. He's not a musician. He is a business man. He is doing it for the money, and nobody cares because they think it sounds cool. And you know what? Good for him. He has figured out a way to exploit people by paying for cool beats, writing half-ass lyrics and making them sound catchy, and making up contagious dances for the songs. Same thing with the Jonas Brothers.
Today I feel electric grey
I hope tomorrow, neon black
Quote by OzarkMDaredevil

EDIT: Also, it is because they think that the music they like is the only kind of good music, and anyone who doesn't listen to their music is ****ing stupid. And because it is mainstream, they despise it because so many people like it, and not their genre of music.

I hereby deem the above statement incorrect.

though that would describe some peoples attitudes about it, thats not WHY they dislike mainstream music,.

Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
What makes up UG?

Guitarists.

Rock and its sub-genres.

Quote by Ganoosh

i agree with these.
Quote by wonderflap
You had to put a penis option.......

The results are now nulled due to this being the pit.... The home of penis watch wearers.

Quote by TheChaz
Rust in peace invented food
he sure is one legit dude
don't let it get to your head

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
What makes up UG?

Guitarists.

Rock and its sub-genres.

+1
Page 1 of 4