I have a strat and was wondering if there was a way to rewire it so that one of the tone knobs became a volume for the neck pup?
Yeah, that would be pretty straight forward, you'd just need to decide which tone knob you want to go without
Too bad i dont know **** about wiring pups
But would you essentially just replace the tone pot with a volume pot and wire it the same way?
Also, would i have to rewire the original master volume to only the bridge pup?
Last edited by ironmaiden_98 at Jul 1, 2009,
wouldnt even need to do that I dont think, you just de-solder the capacitor off the tone knob and hey presto you've got a volume knob
A pot is a pot. Depends on how you wire it if its a olume or tone. If you have basic understanding of wiring then just rewire your guitar so one vol for the neck and bridge and a master tone for all three pups.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by JoePerry4life
A pot is a pot. Depends on how you wire it if its a olume or tone. If you have basic understanding of wiring then just rewire your guitar so one vol for the neck and bridge and a master tone for all three pups.

So i'd just wire the neck pup to the tone pot ?
it'd be nice if there were diagrams
No, you don't just de-solder the capacitor to make a tone a volume pot. You have to de-solder the capacitor AND bend back and solder the leftmost lug to the potentiometer casing. Leftmost being the one on the left, if looking at the bottom of the potentiometer, with the lugs being on top.
Last edited by chip46 at Jul 1, 2009,
Quote by chip46
No, you don't just de-solder the capacitor to make a tone a volume pot. You have to de-solder the capacitor AND bend back and solder the leftmost lug to the potentiometer casing. Leftmost being the one of the left, if looking at the bottom of the potentiometer, with the lugs being on top.

But then would TS be able to just unsolder the cap and solder the lug to the pot casing and not have to do anything else wiring related, or would he have to modify the tone pot and then rewire the rest of the cluster differently?
Quote by ironmaiden_98
Too bad i dont know **** about wiring pups
But would you essentially just replace the tone pot with a volume pot and wire it the same way?
Also, would i have to rewire the original master volume to only the bridge pup?

1 - Any of your pots can be used as a tone control or a volume control.

2 - YOU DECIDE which pots do what...

a - all three are volume controls, no tone control

b - a volume for one (or two) pickups, plus a master (all 3 pickups) volume, and a master tone control.

c - a volume for one pickup, another volume for the other 2 pickups, and a master tone control

Stock you have 3 pots

#1 - Volume
#2 - Neck Tone
#3 - Middle Tone

The first thing YOU must do is decide what functions you want each of those pots to have in the new wiring.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Jul 2, 2009,
Quote by Schism1985
But then would TS be able to just unsolder the cap and solder the lug to the pot casing and not have to do anything else wiring related, or would he have to modify the tone pot and then rewire the rest of the cluster differently?

It will requiere sometype of new wiring, he can't just change it to a volume and be done. He'd have to take one of the pups and wire it to the new volume control, leaving the other two on the primary volume control. Then he'd have to wire the tone knob to be a master tone.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

a - all three are volume controls, no tone contol

b - a volume for one (or two) pickups, plus a master volume, and a master tone control.

c - a volume for one pickup, another volume for the other 2 pickups, and a master tone control

Stock you have 3 pots

#1 - Volume
#2 - Neck Tone
#3 - Middle Tone

The first thing YOU must do is decide what functions you want each of those pots to have in the new wiring.

This man will help you.

ALOT.

I must encourage you, if you listen to ANYONE in this thread, let it be SYK.
Popping of the cap does not make it a volume control. Tones are paralell to the signal, volumes are in series and grounded at one end. A cap-less tone pot will do nothing at all.
Quote by Invader Jim
Popping of the cap does not make it a volume control. Tones are paralell to the signal, volumes are in series and grounded at one end. A cap-less tone pot will do nothing at all.

This is true, you need to rewire the switch as well as the tone pot itself.

I've done almost the exact same thing on my squire strat.
I have independant volume controls for my neck and middle pick ups and I've the bridge (DiMarzio single coil sized humbucker) wired straight to the output jack for maximum output.
I've wired a cap and series resistor across the volume control so I don't loose any highs while dropping the volume on the neck and middle pickups.
I've also put a resistor between the bottom lug and ground so that 0 on the volume give the minimum ouput, making it easier to get the clean tone while playing live.
Sound samples of this set up are on my uTube homepage, if you click the link in my signature.

Haven't done up a drawing yet but I will if people are interested.
sorry im a noob
can someone explain all these parts?
I just need the most basic description i can get on how to do this, i don't really know much about pots wiring pups
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

a - all three are volume controls, no tone control

b - a volume for one (or two) pickups, plus a master (all 3 pickups) volume, and a master tone control.

Stock you have 3 pots

#1 - Volume
#2 - Neck Tone
#3 - Middle Tone

C is what i'm looking for, and i want to change the Tone pot right under the Volume pot (Neck?) to a Volume for the Neck pup
Quote by ironmaiden_98
C is what i'm looking for, and i want to change the Tone pot right under the Volume pot (Neck?) to a Volume for the Neck pup
k, koo

First, some explanation.
There are three parts to the drawing below.
- The first part is a Standard Strat wiring
- The second part is 2-volume with the first pot is the Neck volume, the second is the Middle and Bridge volume.
- The third part is 2-volume wiring with the first pot is the Middle and Bridge volume, the second pot is the Neck volume. This is the one you just described.

> changes to wiring is shown in colour
> Blue indicates wiring for Neck volume
> Red indicates wiring for Middle and Bridge volume
> Gray indicates wiring for Tone
> Green is a ground connection

Additional Notes:
The volumes are slightly interactive.
They're "forward wired" or normal configuration so they function well independently.
If you have one volume at zero, there will be no sound when both are used together (Neck + Middle on the 5-way)

You CAN swap the wiper and CW connections to each volume pot (for instance, both red wires switch places) but I don't recommend it. This will make it so neither volume alone can kill the sound in the Neck + Middle position. You would need to have both volume at zero to do that. But with reversed connections, the volume pots work poorly in all other positions.

With that out of the way, here ya go ...

Now, how much do you love me?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
k, koo

First, some explanation.
There are three parts to the drawing below.
- The first part is a Standard Strat wiring
- The second part is 2-volume with the first pot is the Neck volume, the second is the Middle and Bridge volume.
- The third part is 2-volume wiring with the first pot is the Middle and Bridge volume, the second pot is the Neck volume. This is the one you just described.

> changes to wiring is shown in colour
> Blue indicates wiring for Neck volume
> Red indicates wiring for Middle and Bridge volume
> Gray indicates wiring for Tone
> Green is a ground connection

Additional Notes:
The volumes are slightly interactive.
They're "forward wired" or normal configuration so they function well independently.
If you have one volume at zero, there will be no sound when both are used together (Neck + Middle on the 5-way)

You CAN swap the wiper and CW connections to each volume pot (for instance, both red wires switch places) but I don't recommend it. This will make it so neither volume alone can kill the sound in the Neck + Middle position. You would need to have both volume at zero to do that. But with reversed connections, the volume pots work poorly in all other positions.

With that out of the way, here ya go ...

Now, how much do you love me?

Perfect just what i need
thanks a lot
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and found this thread very interesting.

I have a question: by changing the electronics to have two volume pots on my start, would that enable me to use the toggleswitch as a kill switch? or are fender toggleswitches not reliable enough to be able to do that with them?

Thanks,
You could use the selector as a killswitch if one of the volume controls at minimum.
Not so much a question of "reliability", but a blade switch is a bit clumsy to operate as a killswitch. A separate pushbutton is a better choice, imho.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411