I've been wondering this for awhile and i'm pretty sure there is no definite answer but:

Is classic rock really referring to the rock being classic (so the timeframe it falls in)

Or does it mean the music is a fusion of rock and classical (I read it somewhere....)
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Quote by Polystant
I've been wondering this for awhile and i'm pretty sure there is no definite answer but:

Is classic rock really referring to the rock being classic (so the timeframe it falls in)

Or does it mean the music is a fusion of rock and classical (I read it somewhere....)

It usually refers to music that is classic in the sense of being a few decades old. It usually also implies the music has a timeless air about it. Examples include ACDC, Led Zeppelin and so on.

A fusion of Rock and Classical would usually be termed "Symphonic Rock". Examples of this genre include NIghtwish, Within Temptation and Sonata Arctica.
OK cool. Thanks. That is what i thought but I just wanted to verify it.
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
It's mostly the time frame. We define it on this website as 1960-1984, but that's used loosely, as I've been meaning to update the official FAQ to make it 1955-1984. That being said, sound does have something to do with it. Metallica's debut album was released in 1983, but they're not Classic Rock.
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.