I really like Ac-30's but I am wondering is there any way I can get a good metal tone from one, If I would have to use a pedal or crank it and a strong over drive, or would the ac 50 cc work better, I love the clean and crunch, but I need a lead sound for my band any help would be much appreciated
amps
Vox Ac 30 (main)
Fender Supersonic with Krank Krankenstien 4x12
OR 50 with 4 x 12
Gassing for ibanes airplane flanger
A very heavy tone with lots of mids similar to COB or Slayer tone
amps
Vox Ac 30 (main)
OR 50 with 4 x 12
Try Guyatone pedals, I have the Flip Metal Master and it's great.

Otherwise:http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-AC50-Classic-Plus-50w-Amp-Head?sku=481027

If this is what you were talking about, you should pick it up. I played one at gc and it played pretty heavy, I play Behemoth Opeth BTBAM, but cleaned up very nice.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?

No.

Okay, being helpful now, you could do it, you'll most likely need a serious distortion pedal, there might be a handful of overdrives that could do it, but a straight up metal distortion pedal is your best bet.

I recomend looking at different amps as well, something like an Engl Thunder or Screamer, they have a beautiful clean tone (more Fender-ish than Vox though) and you can get those metal sounds without using a pedal.

An AC30 might be an interesting amp for metal, if you want to go for it!
Tele - EP Booster - DLS - Big Muff - Ekko 616 - Rocker 30/AC15
ok thanks for the suggestions, I already have a Krankenstein, and 6505+, and a vt 50 xl, but I wanted to try something very different from what everyone else in my local music scene is using, and thought a ac 30 or ac 50 would be really cool to use as a metal amp
amps
Vox Ac 30 (main)
OR 50 with 4 x 12
ive had an ac15 that i have tried to play metal on and i just gave up and bought a marshall. distortion pedals cannot give you good metal tone (even the boutique ones)
Why would you use a Vox AC30 for metal like COB or Slayer? Use a Marshall JCM 800, that's what Kerry King and Jeff Hannemann use, and Alexi is using (apparently) the Marshall Kerry King head. THAT will get you a metal tone.
Why don't you just use your Stein or 6505 with the AC30 and use and A/B pedal to switch between them?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I just dont want to use a high gain amp like everyone else does, I like using unique stuff in my rig and I think a Ac 30 or a AC 50 head would be cool
amps
Vox Ac 30 (main)
OR 50 with 4 x 12
what would be a good/cheapish aby pedal
amps
Vox Ac 30 (main)
OR 50 with 4 x 12
Radial BigShot A/B/Y is what I use. Morley is going to be cheaper, but their quality is pretty iffy.

Being different is cool, but the AC30 just isn't voiced for that style of music
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
its pretty pointless to use a AC 50 for metal and not use a 6505/K-stein for it

just my $0.02
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
The biggest problem you'd have with an AC30 is the bass response. If I were going to use one for metal I'd get the AC30CC head and a bass-heavy 4x12 like a Mesa or an orange and a ZVex box of metal or MI audio tube zone. I think that would do it.