my teacher's havin me write something over a chord progression, but I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. I don't know how much you guys can tell me from what I'm giving you but here:

D-7 G7 Cmaj7 E7 A-7
ACDFCD/EFEDBCDCAG/BCBEGE/G#FEDCB/A
A D A D/G D G D /C E G/E /A
that's all I have so far. The top row of notes is the melody, the bottom is the bass. everthing's lined up for the most part, but obviously I didn't include the rhythm. Is anything messed up? I've never done this before
Edit: It didn't space the chords properly, but the slashes represent the changes
Normally when a teacher haves you "Write something" over a chord change it's to relfect and put to use a previous lesson. If you aren't actually trying to apply something you just learned then you can't "do it wrong". Everything is "right" in music, just make it your own : )
Proghead and Proud
Quote by SchecterAbuser7
Normally when a teacher haves you "Write something" over a chord change it's to relfect and put to use a previous lesson. If you aren't actually trying to apply something you just learned then you can't "do it wrong". Everything is "right" in music, just make it your own : )

well yes you're right...but I meant do the notes reflect the chord changes?
I know not all of them are contained in the chords, but I figure I'm allowed passing tones...hopefully. Thanks for your help
Non-chord tones are perfectly acceptable as passing tones/neighboring tones/appogiaturas/escape tones/etc. Sometimes you can even use a note that's not in the key.
Quote by pwrmax
Non-chord tones are perfectly acceptable as passing tones/neighboring tones/appogiaturas/escape tones/etc. Sometimes you can even use a note that's not in the key.
This. Also, it's best that the first beat of every bar is a chord tone.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by demonofthenight
This. Also, it's best that the first beat of every bar is a chord tone.

I like to keep the chord tones on the strong beats more often than the embellishing tones.