Or has music gone down the drain since late 70's/early 80's (depending on how you look at it)?

I'm not saying "modern music sucks" or anything like that... Far from it, there are plenty of modern bands that I love. But, in general, music nowadays is not made for the music, but for other reasons... money, fame, etc.?

Also, think about this. I went to the Eric Clapton/Steve Winwood show last week. It was an amazing concert, and of course was sold out. These guys were in their prime 40 years ago . 40 years later, and they are still selling out shows. Back in the days of classic rock, music was different from what it is right now. Music was a huge part of everyone's lives. A HUGE part. Now, can you imagine, 40 years from now, in 2049, any bands that will be selling out shows? Of course we won't know until then, but I can't see many bands today selling out shows ten years from now, let alone forty.

TBH, I could write a 20 page paper on this, but I want to see everyone's opinions here.
Epiphone G-400
Roland Cube 30X
This is an endless argument that we could get into and keep going for days.

And it would get us nowhere.

The fact is that music is what it is...and it's going to be what it's going to be.
Today I feel electric grey
I hope tomorrow, neon black
Quote by Royal_Brick
im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay im gay

This is as about as much seriousness and effort I put towards this kind of thing.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Ghee, I haven't heard anyone bring up this argument ever!
IN/ RAINBOWS
IN RAIN/BOWS
IN RAINBOW/S
IN RAINBOWS/
IN RAIN_BOWS
RA D IOHEA_D
RAD IO HEA D

Quote by I'mronburgundy?
in addition to all of that, you also win the thread.

Quote by metallica724
>:O littlejoy isnt a creep hes full of win unlike you
Quote by Xiaoxi
This is as about as much seriousness and effort I put towards this kind of thing.

Holy shit, I almost just choked laughing at that.
Quote by Yerjam
Could be, but the most important thing to remember is that it wasn't your fault, even if it was.
Quote by Ganoosh

The fact is that music is what it is...and it's going to be what it's going to be.

This. Music changes. Its not like a bunch of guitar players got together and said, " Alright guys, lets make music suck dick." Music has changed over the years. Everybody glorifies the 70's. True, amazing music, but its not like they planned on having ten years of good music, then just changing it. Music progresses, deal with it. I used to listen to only classic rock. Now I listen to everything. And I'm listening to one of my favorite modern bands now, Cage the Elephant. This is an unwinnable and endless argument.
I love Foxy Shazam more than you.

▲ ▲

Quote by Royal_Brick
Eh, I tried. Oh well.

Have you ever stopped to think that maybe there were people like you in the 70's/80's who thought modern music was going down the drain?
Well, what I meant was directed more towards the top 10 list of Jonas Brothers and Hip Hop songs. But yeah I'll drop it.
Epiphone G-400
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Royal_Brick
Or has music gone down the drain since late 70's/early 80's (depending on how you look at it)?

I'm not saying "modern music sucks" or anything like that...

Really? How else would you translate the first sentence?
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

Quote by Royal_Brick
Well, what I meant was directed more towards the top 10 list of Jonas Brothers and Hip Hop songs. But yeah I'll drop it.

Go take a look at the "ug and mainstream anything" thread, and it will tell you why you feel this way about these artists.
Today I feel electric grey
I hope tomorrow, neon black
Quote by Royal_Brick

There were ****ty bands in the 70s too. Jonas Brothers are Shaun Cassidy and the crap rap is the mainstream ****ty disco. (Not all disco is ****)
TS i agree with you but...

Quote by Ganoosh

this man is completely right.

EDIT:

This. Music changes. Its not like a bunch of guitar players got together and said, " Alright guys, lets make music suck dick." Music has changed over the years. Everybody glorifies the 70's. True, amazing music, but its not like they planned on having ten years of good music, then just changing it. Music progresses, deal with it. I used to listen to only classic rock. Now I listen to everything. And I'm listening to one of my favorite modern bands now, Cage the Elephant. This is an unwinnable and endless argument.

also this.
There is a war going on for your mind.

If you are thinking, you are winning.

Resistance is victory.

We are building up a new world.
Do not sit idly by.
Last edited by Fenderhippie69 at Jul 1, 2009,
Quote by Ganoosh
Go take a look at the "ug and mainstream anything" thread, and it will tell you why you feel this way about these artists.

I know why I don't like it. I just though maybe anyone would like to talk about it, but I'm guessing I'm not the first person who has asked the same question here.
Epiphone G-400
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by stinger12345
Really? How else would you translate the first sentence?

the drain represents man's decent into old age, starting from the pinnacle of the sink, down through the filter of adolescence, into the u-bend of old age. the early 70's/80's represents our innocent childlike love for each other. music, as always, stands for unexpressed homoerotic tensions. the author also qualifies the statement by saying that it is truly a choice by the individual made in each of our hearts.

its just so obvious.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Mainstream music now is just as bad as mainstream music back then.
Mainstream music now is just as good as mainstream music back then.
Mainstream music now is just as money-whoring as mainstream music back then.
Mainstream music now is just as intelligent as mainstream music back then.

Get over it. No era is "better" than another, no matter how you mask it.
we remember the good music of any time period cos it's so good
the bay City Roller's were topping the charts back in the '70s but they were awful, there will be bands remembered from now and people in 40 years time going, "is it me or has music gone down the drain since the '00's
good music sometimes tops the charts now, just as it did back then, but it's always mainly comprised of terrible music.
think about 120 years ago+ when classical music was reigning supreme (well don't know exactly which era it was..) and look at the crappy pop of nowadays.. that's the comparison you should make.. if you want to be sad for the rest of the night anyway..
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

I would say modern music sucks now.
I only like a few bands of today now.
Turtles R awesome. dont agree? YOU GO TO HELL, YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!

PSN: Purple-munky

Gear...
Ion - acoustic guitar.
Cort KX1Q - i smashed it
Fender Super Champ XD 15w
Stagg G-310 - i smashed it.
Quote by will123456789
think about 120 years ago+ when classical music was reigning supreme (well don't know exactly which era it was..) and look at the crappy pop of nowadays.. that's the comparison you should make.. if you want to be sad for the rest of the night anyway..

oh yeah and the only people composing were tchaikovsky and schubert etc. back then
terrible music gets forgotten like always there were hundreds of average composers who have been forgotten
I listen to more modern music than I do older stuff. So I don't know if I would say the quality has gone down. I think its just easier for less talented bands to get a lot of exposure now thanks to tv and the internet.
The type of music that's mainstream has changed, but the quality really hasn't. People today like stupid crap like rap, and people back then liked stupid crap like disco. Even in the rock genre, there was good and bad stuff then, and there's good and bad stuff now.

*shrug*
Sigh... we've all heard this a million times, and we'll hear it a million more times.
This is my sig
It's all in different eras, really. The "Classic Rock" era would be the 70's.
Heavy Metal would be the 80's
Grunge would of course be the 90's
and "Modern Rock" is the 00's.

More people might happen to enjoy the music from the 70's than music from today.

I would say that Modern POP is going down the drains, the 60's had the Beatles. The 00's have bands who want to be "Rock" but is more mainstream, making them pop.
DeVillains!
Quote by Ylasto
It's all in different eras, really. The "Classic Rock" era would be the 70's.
Heavy Metal would be the 80's
Grunge would of course be the 90's
and "Modern Rock" is the 00's.

More people might happen to enjoy the music from the 70's than music from today.

I would say that Modern POP is going down the drains, the 60's had the Beatles. The 00's have bands who want to be "Rock" but is more mainstream, making them pop.

I believe that this man speaks the truth.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
I can imagine some bands active in the late '80s, '90s and '00s who have the enthusiam and potential to keep on going. Steven Malkmus , My Bloody Valentine [or Kevin Shields himself, working on something else.], The Foo Fighters, Conor Oberst, Weezer, MGMT, Radiohead, Placebo, R.E.M. A lot of modern pop that doesn't die out quickly might keep going. For all we know, Lady Gaga could be the next Cher. A lot of deathcore and pop-punk will definitely die out by 2012 [no pun intended], but a lot of music outside of that will probably go on.

That being said, all decades have really bad music.
Quote by kwidjibo1
oh really? i didnt know children of bodom were better than a band far more famous and popular than them, cheers for the update

Quote by Mr.Maccy
Your from the states. I end my case.
Last edited by Sopheydood at Jul 11, 2009,
actuly in the 70/80s pepole sayed the same thing. you guys might think music sucks now days, and most pepole think it sucks but...most of are population loves are music. why do you think it's alive? it's not crappy, your just not a fan of mainstream.

edit: mainstream dude sayed it
Quote by iantheman
I laughed at someone for breaking his g-string, and got sigged

Quote by Veil Of Osiris

You just made me spit out my Kool-Aid all over my keyboard.

sorry
uhhh, music is art.
you saying that ALL music has deteriorated since the 60s is like saying all artists have sucked since Picasso.
love is love // return to dust
It's just you.

Well maybe not entirely, but that's a pretty stupid argument. While it is true that "mainstream" (though I hate to use the word) pop music seems to have gone downhill, there was always crap out there that was made purely for the money, it is just becoming a bit more prevalent. As music in general becomes less profitable what with illegal downloading and that sort of thing, record companies will put more effort and funding behind the acts that will make them the most money.

Music today, though, is as good as ever. In fact, I would argue that it is better now than it ever was. After all, music is always evolving, and the bands nowadays have the benefit of being able to draw upon the innovations of all the artists who came before them, as well as make their own innovations. I think some modern bands (Brand New, Bloc Party, Muse, Coheed & Cambria, Dream Theater, and a few others come to mind) could stack up favorably against the best bands from any prior era. If these and other similar bands keep at it, I could see them gaining the same legendary status afforded to such artists as Clapton, and still being popular decades from now.

The bottom line is, there is lots of great music out there. It just isn't being as heavily promoted as in the past, so you have to do the digging yourself. Luckily, the internet makes it that much easier. You just have to look.
kill all humans