Hey everyone. I'm wanting to build up my Squire Strat but I don't wanna spend hardly any money lol. Main things are the input and the selector switch. Those are going to hell pretty damn fast. I want good ones that will be cheap but work good and last a long time. Thanks for all the help from you guys on UG.
^Stay out of the GB&C if you're just going to give that kind of advice.

TS, look into Allparts stuff, then PM nuthinbuttrubl8 (Phil) he has a 25% discount.

EDIT: If you're looking to take it further, you could check GFS for some pretty good budget pickups. Any other questions you may have, feel free to ask.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Last edited by bv310 at Jul 1, 2009,
Well...
I can help you with pick ups.
I recently dropped in some Lace Sensors (Specifically the red-white-blue ones) into my first act. They gave me a nice range of sounds.
The blue gives it a nice fat almost Gibson tone. I say almost because its as crunchy and bassy with out the muddiness.
The White gives a Tele style, finding a happy medium of bass and treble.
The Red gives it that strat like treble with out the bell tone.
I personally like them because it gives me Fender and Gibson tone with out the classic Fender bell like tone that I find obnoxious and the muddy Gibson tone.
If you like the American strat sound I would look at other Lace Sensor products. For a pack of three they are around $150 max, which is pretty nice for a set of pick ups.
Quote by dwightleach
Hey everyone. I'm wanting to build up my Squire Strat but I don't wanna spend hardly any money lol. Main things are the input and the selector switch. Those are going to hell pretty damn fast. I want good ones that will be cheap but work good and last a long time. Thanks for all the help from you guys on UG.

Unless there's something actually wrong with the selector switch and jack, there's no reason to replace them.

For instance, if the jack is wobbly you can simply tighten it back down with a pair of pliers.
I don't know why everyone keeps giving me pickup suggestions. I love my pickups. The selector switch and input is what I'm worried most about. The selector switch as a slight short in when I slam it to the back pickup and the input seems to be corroded so I just want to upgrade it and replace it at the same time. And as a side note, if you wanna give me pickup suggestions do so but only if you answer my first questions. Pickup wise I'm thinking of cutting my strat and fitting a P90 into it and just taking out the middle pickup because I never use it.
y r u gonna put a p-90 in it isn't a p-90 just a bigger version of a single coil... also just keep ur neck pickup so u have a versatile guitar
Quote by AmericanParadox
cuztomizing guitars = best thing in the world. Better than sex.

GB&C RULES

Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Fr
Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Boss Ds-1
Digitech RP55
Ibanez WD7 Weeping Demon
Ibanez Fz7 Fuzz
Marshall MG10CD 40W
Modded POS Strat
Quote by dwightleach
I don't know why everyone keeps giving me pickup suggestions. I love my pickups. The selector switch and input is what I'm worried most about. The selector switch as a slight short in when I slam it to the back pickup and the input seems to be corroded so I just want to upgrade it and replace it at the same time. And as a side note, if you wanna give me pickup suggestions do so but only if you answer my first questions. Pickup wise I'm thinking of cutting my strat and fitting a P90 into it and just taking out the middle pickup because I never use it.

Replacing the input jack and selector switch on your guitar doesn't qualify as an upgrade.

Upgrading the selector switch from the stock PCB style one to a legit fender 5 way switch like this one:
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-American-Standard-Strat-5Way-Pickup-Selector-Switch?sku=361211#new

could be considered a very minor modification but it's not really the sort of thing people on this forum normally think of when someone says they want to bulk up their squier.

Quote by guitarmankyle
y r u gonna put a p-90 in it isn't a p-90 just a bigger version of a single coil... also just keep ur neck pickup so u have a versatile guitar

Two things:

1) Learn to type properly, typing in IM is just annoying.

2) The only similarities between a P90 and a Single coil is the fact that they only have one coil. I'd suggest you go play a guitar with a P90, then play a strat. You'll be able to see the difference immediately.

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Quote by guitarmankyle

yes, a p-90 is a large single coil, but the tone is different
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
Quote by guitarmankyle

oh yeah, i definetly plan to keep the neck pick up. i love the bluesy tone i can get with it. but i just wanna change the bridge pickup so i can get a much better seventys gibson rock tone for when i play acdc or sabbath or zeppelin.
woops i didn't know the difference between singles and p90s and i didn't meant the neck btw i meant the mid
Quote by AmericanParadox
cuztomizing guitars = best thing in the world. Better than sex.

GB&C RULES

Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Fr
Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Boss Ds-1
Digitech RP55
Ibanez WD7 Weeping Demon
Ibanez Fz7 Fuzz
Marshall MG10CD 40W
Modded POS Strat
Quote by Schism1985

Replacing the input jack and selector switch on your guitar doesn't qualify as an upgrade.

Upgrading the selector switch from the stock PCB style one to a legit fender 5 way switch like this one:
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-American-Standard-Strat-5Way-Pickup-Selector-Switch?sku=361211#new

could be considered a very minor modification but it's not really the sort of thing people on this forum normally think of when someone says they want to bulk up their squier.

no need to be splittin ****in hairs man. anything thats slightly better than what i got is an upgrade.