Page 1 of 2
I never understood it.. I can't think of one thing you can do with a slide that you can't do with your fingers to be honest.. But that's not all, even if you put the slide on your pinky finger it eliminates a whole finger for you to use, I'm not being close minded, I'm posting this to honestly ask, what is the point of a slide?

gives you a completely different sound and turns the guitar into practically a whole new instrument not limited to the fret allowing semi-tones to be in-corporated into playing with greater ease giving it a sounds similiar to the human voice.......or something like that

EDIT: TS have you ever used a slide, or even HEARD one?!?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daze Of My Youth

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

caution: This sig employs the use of symbolism beyond "lol bright colours=flamboyantly gay
"
Last edited by wholelottabon at Jul 1, 2009,
You ask me if I heard or used one, and you end your description of the sound with ".....or something".

NO I haven't heard or used one, why the **** do you think I posted this thread?
haha chill man

listen to the intro of "big empty" by stone temple pilots..

or

"scar tissue" by chili peppers <--very good slide work by frusciante

"gravy train" by mark knopfler

"echos" by pink floyd if you wanna listen to 25 minutes of awesomeness

i think you'll get the idea
Peavey JSX 120 Half Stack
Mockingbird Evil Edge SE
Mockingbird Special(White)

Set sail to sea but pulled off course by the light of golden treasure --Hetfield, the Unforgiven Pirate

So I dub Thee Unforgiven Three! -How it should have been
Quote by thedekker
haha chill man

"scar tissue" by chili peppers <--very good slide work by frusciante

i think you'll get the idea

+2
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Thanks for the examples, I can see it's a bit different, like a slide guitar (lol obviously), but another question - rather then paying for one, wouldn't you just be able to cut a piece of pipe?
Quote by Dog--
You ask me if I heard or used one, and you end your description of the sound with ".....or something".

NO I haven't heard or used one, why the **** do you think I posted this thread?

sorry man i thought you'd used one and thought it was pointless or heard it and thought it was exactly like regular guitar

and "or something like that...." was because ive seen this question asked lots of time and what i said about semitones and whatnot is the general response

oh, and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4Sxxy0ynXk

good example of slide playing

EDIT: and lots of people do just cut up pipes and stuff, the original's were bottlenecks, and hence it's refered to as bottleneck playing in a lot of blues music
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daze Of My Youth

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

caution: This sig employs the use of symbolism beyond "lol bright colours=flamboyantly gay
"
Last edited by wholelottabon at Jul 1, 2009,
Quote by Dog--
Thanks for the examples, I can see it's a bit different, like a slide guitar (lol obviously), but another question - rather then paying for one, wouldn't you just be able to cut a piece of pipe?

Different sounds from different types.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

my first slide, i grabbed an empty wine bottle and smashed it, sanded the sharp edges of the neck, and put that over my finger

you can use anything
Peavey JSX 120 Half Stack
Mockingbird Evil Edge SE
Mockingbird Special(White)

Set sail to sea but pulled off course by the light of golden treasure --Hetfield, the Unforgiven Pirate

So I dub Thee Unforgiven Three! -How it should have been
Just go try one out, you'll understand.

The slide allows you get notes in between the frets (quarter-tones) and to glissando between them.
I actually just watched a beginner tutorial thing (of some chick playing), and I didn't even know that you just touch the strings, I thought you fretted with it, hence my confusion about the slide.. I actually might go and try one, I got some old wine bottles, I can cut the necks.
FREEBIRD!!!

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmgKEPVPyF0

This guy is probably my favorite living slide guitarist.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
edit- i read your post on where you got confused.

anyways, a slide changes everything, it also opens the world of semitones.

it's just another tool to fit in another genre, like how a 7th or 8th string helps you fit into metal.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Last edited by conor1148 at Jul 2, 2009,
Ry Cooder is an old Mississippi slide player. give him a listen if you're interested in old fashioned slide.

he's from LA but the blues he plays is the old Mississippi Delta slide blues
Last edited by ghiyath at Jul 2, 2009,
yeh bro.. its good ol fun.
u can pretty much use any round glass or metal surface.

im pretty sure is sounds way better if u tune your guitar to a G chord or D chord.

my 2c.
Woot! New Zealand...
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
FREEBIRD!!!

Dang, beat me to it.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by Dog--
I never understood it.. I can't think of one thing you can do with a slide that you can't do with your fingers to be honest.. But that's not all, even if you put the slide on your pinky finger it eliminates a whole finger for you to use, I'm not being close minded, I'm posting this to honestly ask, what is the point of a slide?

*ahem* GO LISTEN TO SOME ACOUSTIC BLUES, MAN! Delta style. Mmmhmmm.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd60nI4sa9A

^

of course fred mcdowell seen here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TyzAAwJnIw used to use a bone as a slide.

You can use pretty much any good hard surface like metal or glass if you can find a way to press it to the strings.
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Jul 2, 2009,
Ever see Crossroads?
And on the seventh day, I said "Go to your room!"

check out my jazz tab and ill gladly do a review of any of your stuff

I play the bass clarinet! How 'bout you? PM me!
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
FREEBIRD!!!

This. This This This.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
Go old school and use a knife.

Slide is awesome though, makes the guitar sound so weird, I love messing around with mine.
Jackson KVX10
Epiphone EB-3

Bugera 6260
Laney Supergroup Mk 1
Marshall VS100RH
Laney LX412A

Bad Monkey
Crybaby
Metal Muff
Fish N Chips
Quote by CHOCOmoney
Ever see Crossroads?

That movie is actually what inspired this thread.
Use a zippo lighter. Sid Barret did that.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by CHOCOmoney
Ever see Crossroads?
Quote by Dog--
That movie is actually what inspired this thread.

I feel very, very sorry for you
Why? I mean the one from 1986 with Ralph Macchio, not the Britney Spears one, just to be clear. That one is terrible.
A slide almost makes it sound like there are no frets. I love mine and I'm a big Metal fan. It opens up a whole new world of sounds.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I liking using slides to make a movable third bridge, next stop Sonic Youth worship.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
I'm surprised Goolz hasn't chimed in yet
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by Dog--
Why? I mean the one from 1986 with Ralph Macchio, not the Britney Spears one, just to be clear. That one is terrible.

Yeah, Ralph Macchio got you interested in slide guitar.

Anyway, it's just a different sound and basically a different way of playing the instrument, watch robert randolph play his pedal steel while you're at it.
Page 1 of 2