Lately i've been looking to improve my fretting technique, and i've had lots of conflicting advice.

some people have told me to hold the string right behind the fret, while others have told me its best to have it in the middle of the fret because its gives you a truer sound.

also i've been told that i should press the string down with the tip of my finger, and others have told me it doesn't matter

also how much pressure should i be putting on the strings?

Can anyone clear this up for me?

edit: another question came up while i was waiting for help
Last edited by æTonyæ at Jul 1, 2009,
A music teacher might tell you there is a proper or correct way to do it. But another teacher might tell you another way is the proper way. What ever works for you is the right way to do it.
You shouldn't put any more pressure on the string than what you need to pick the note. Also different styles of playing use different fretting technique.
depends how you play i suppose. i agree with tackleberry.
personally i hit it in the middle of the space between i think. i never really pay attention to that. i press till the string touches the fretboard i never pay attention to that either tho
All the instructional videos and DVDs I've seen have all said to put your finger as close to the fret as possible without touching it.
If it's too far away you might get a buzzing sound. That's from my experience.

EDIT: Also, all the instructional videos I've seen have said to place the tip of your finger vertically on the string, so your finger makes almost a 90 degree angle with the string. But this can be fudged, it doesn't matter that much. This is mostly to keep you from muting other strings, but sometimes the fingers have to be placed so that they mute another string. Do whatever's comfortable and doesn't interfere with your playing.
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.
Last edited by Vasser at Jul 1, 2009,
i teach all my students to fret as close to the fret as they can, even if you use a true temperment neck(look it up) you still need to fret as close as you can to the fret.

not only that but every song you play will be flat and playing in a band will make you sound totally dissonanant and sh*te.

the frets are there for a reason.....

waiting for some clever clogs to mention fretless....
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Jul 2, 2009,
Quote by ibanezgod1973
i teach all my students to fret as close to the fret as they can, even if you use a true temperment neck(look it up) you still need to fret as close as you can to the fret.

not only that but every song you play will be flat and playing in a band will make you sound totally dissonanant and sh*te.

the frets are there for a reason.....

waiting for some clever clogs to mention fretless....

Playing flat if you don't push down at the frets?

That's a ridiculous statement. The metal is what stops the vibration, not your fingers.

If anything, you'll end up (POSSIBLY) a little sharp, but that's only if you push so hard that your fingers are damn near bleeding..

Its truly just whatever is comfortable and doesn't mess with what you play.