ok so i have been playing for about 10 months and i know the pentatonic scale and the major scale and i need help because im a bit overwhelmed with all the stuff on the net. what is the diffrence between the scale positions and playing in a diffrent key and also can u move all of the diffrent positions around the fretboard and play them in a diffrent key??? And should i learn all of the scale positions? please help i have beem struggling with this stuff for about a week and a half now
Last edited by H3llboy13 at Jul 1, 2009,
Try and learn the theory behind the scales, how they're constructed, etc.

It really does help
helped me a ton anyways

Best of luck
Drink the sauce. Go on, it's okay. Just remember, I am the quest.

Quote by illuminatiano
YOU ARE A NO GOOD LAZY FORGETFUL STONER WITH NO FUTURE YOU ARE WORTHLESS TO SOCIETY
Quote by Bubbles203
Try and learn the theory behind the scales, how they're constructed, etc.

It really does help
helped me a ton anyways

Best of luck

Thanks but anybody got a good site that explains music theory??
You should learn the scales in all different positions/octaves (inb4 modes etc), there is no flexibility in playing a scale in one position.
The key is the root note and intervals of the scale, for example if the root note of the scale is Bb and it is a major scale (ie major intervals, learn your theory ) then the key is Bb major.

It's probably more accurately described in some theory lessons on UG.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Check out the Music Theory FAQ sticky in Musician Talk - it explains all that stuff

Edit: Start with the major scale, and learn how its constructed in terms of notes and intervals. Its explained in the MT FAQ. If you haven't already, learn the notes of your fretboard - check out Freepower's bitesize theory vids on his profile to help with this. Once you understand the major scale all that other stuff will make a whole lot more sense
Last edited by zhilla at Jul 2, 2009,
Just play your guitar leave those stupid patterns out of it
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
Quote by 08L1V10N
Just play your guitar leave those stupid patterns out of it

^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by H3llboy13
ok so i have been playing for about 10 months and i know the pentatonic scale and the major scale and i need help because im a bit overwhelmed with all the stuff on the net. what is the diffrence between the scale positions and playing in a diffrent key and also can u move all of the diffrent positions around the fretboard and play them in a diffrent key??? And should i learn all of the scale positions? please help i have beem struggling with this stuff for about a week and a half now

Scale position = octave/range the scale is in. playing an E scale can happen several times on a fretboard. They are all the same notes, just in different places

Key = the key in which all the notes are being played to. Playing in the key of A, with a major scale, merits that A B C D E F G and A will be the notes played (if someone doesn't break the loose rules, I know that there are 4ths added that are 'blue notes' and am sure there are other things along those lines)

You should sit down and just p0wn a scale in all positions possible. Make it part of you. I did this with the minor pentatonic with added 4ths and dayum I make my guitar moan the blues with no effort at all.
Quote by manhangi

Playing in the key of A, with a major scale, merits that A B C D E F G and A will be the notes played

the A major scale is A B Csharp D E Fsharp Gsharp...