Luckily, not an expensive one. Here's the story. I was looking for a good way to clean and polish one of my guitars that I haven't played in a while, and I had a set of new strings all ready to put on to it, so I admit, I was in a bit of a rush. I read a few posts and saw quite a few people say they used Pledge furniture polish and it worked great for them, so I thought I'd give it a try.

Well, I applied quite a bit (of course, I didn't drown the poor guitar in the stuff haha), and it sure made my guitar shiny all right! (I sprayed it on the body, fretboard, and headstock.) After about 10 seconds I wiped it all off, which took a while since the stuff is really slipperly.

Unfortunately, a few days later I happen to stumble across a thread where a lot of people were saying Pledge is bad for any type of guitar and can damage the finish and leave a layer of silicon all over the guitar which cannot be removed. Well, this made me cry a little inside since I had not seen anybody say anything bad about it before. Yeah, just my luck

I was wondering, since I only applied it once, could this have done any significant/serious damage? If so, is there anyway to reverse the effects (such as using a toothbrush or so to scrape off any film it may have left on my guitar)? I sure learned my lesson and won't use any chemical that's not made specifically for polishing/cleaning guitars.

Here's the guitar I used the stuff on:
Washburn WG587 7-string
Alder Body
Maple Neck
Rosewood Fretboard

Even if it did do any damage, I'm lucky I only used it on a $200 guitar. Otherwise it could have turned out to be a pretty expensive mistake.
Last edited by Exershio at Jul 1, 2009,
If it play as good as before no reason to worry except maybe for finish.How much did you put on it on your guitar? (bad english)
maybe it will give it a cool tye-dye sortof thing or something. I dunno.
Quote by I am an idiot
If it play as good as before no reason to worry except maybe for finish.How much did you put on it on your guitar? (bad english)

I put a good amount on it. A few sprays on the body/fretboard on the body and rubbed it in until the whole thing was shiny.
How long ago was that? If it's been a week or so and you only did it once, it'll probably be okay.
f anything was going to happen it would have happened but for the next time use lemon or orange oil on the fretboard and for the body use polish designed for cars. You just need to make sure what type of polish your buying.
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
Well, the only thing I really notice is the guitar finish has a lot of small cloudy spots on it, but I'm not sure if they were there before I used the furniture polish. I tried rubbing them out with a damp cloth, but they're still there.
Chances are the Pledge caused your finish to cloud up. I wouldn't use a furniture polish on anything more than an UNFINISHED (i.e. anything other than maple) fretboard and definitely not on the body. For the body, use either a made-for-guitar polish or a car polish that does not contain silicon.
a guy told me that the tremolo bar was called the "distortionator"
I personally use Martin guitar polish and Dr. Stringfellow fretboard cleaner, try those out next time.