i dunno where this would belong on here, so im posting here:

Im looking to find software that can give me better orchestra sounds. I found one called "Garritan Personal Orchestra", and it looks promising. my budget is tight and i need to know if anyone has ever used this program, or if someone can suggest a program that is $100-$200 in price but still good. I use M-Audio for recording.

thanks
East/West Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra for Hollywood sounds OR Vienna for much classical sounds.

But I prefer East/West.

http://www.soundsonline.com/EastWest-Quantum-Leap-Symphonic-Orchestra-PLAY-Editions-pr-EW-177.html

Look at this composer's work. In dramedy section specially listen to 'A Magnificent Journey'. He use this software, BTW he was featured by the East/West too; they have chosen one of his pieces as a demo.
http://www.dennyschneidemesser.com/
Last edited by YA89 at Jul 1, 2009,
I've tried GPO, sounds so fake. Guitar Pro's RSE sounds more realistic. For the price, I just stick with the sounds you get with Finale.
I like GPO for everything except the trumpet sound, which sounds just like MIDI. I'm pretty sure you can mix and match stuff though, so if you got the time, put together a bunch of stuff that you like.
"I love music, it's not like math. In music, 2+2 can equal 5, if it's a pretty enough 5." -Samuel R. Hazo

"Alle menschen werden bruder- all men become brothers"
-Ludwig Van Beethoven, from his 9th Symphony.

-John
^
I DESPISE the string sound from GPO, solo and ensemble. The only thing I think sounds ok is the woodwinds.

Don't get me wrong, it's better than MIDI but for the price it not worth it.
Really? The only problem I've had with the string sounds is that I can never get the cello to be heard, but I usually just take that and shove it all the way up on the mixer.
"I love music, it's not like math. In music, 2+2 can equal 5, if it's a pretty enough 5." -Samuel R. Hazo

-John
I can never get the low strings to sound aggressively loud, it just sounds like someone playing softly with a volume knob turned up.
And you're on Finale? Which version?

-John
Oh see I'm on 09, maybe they've fixed that in a newer release.

-John
Comparing Garritan to Guitar pro? You must be nuts. I only have the pocket edition that comes with Sonar, and I think its awesome. EastWest is superb, as is the Vienna one but their price is not so superb for the lower paid musicians.
Quote by evolucian
Comparing Garritan to Guitar pro? You must be nuts.

Guitar Pro's RSE gets an excellent sound for the $50 it's worth. My school uses GPO with Kontakt so that might be the reason but Guitar Pro's the only thing I can mess with the settings enough to make it sound convincingly real.
GPO is nice. I like the sound of it....

If you're really serious East West QL Strings are the best bet. They are the ****! I love them.

I have sound samples of both (In actual songs). Don't forget to click Play Song.

Alright GPO: http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=1187891&t=2843

EWQL: http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=1198236&t=2843

Looking back on it, the GPO strings have a tad to much scratchiness and vibrato. EWQL is where its at my man.
Last edited by Ghast at Jul 2, 2009,
Quote by pwrmax
Guitar Pro's RSE gets an excellent sound for the $50 it's worth. My school uses GPO with Kontakt so that might be the reason but Guitar Pro's the only thing I can mess with the settings enough to make it sound convincingly real.

when did GP start using RSE for strings and orchestra sounds? Last time I checked, that was only for guitar, bass and drums...
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...

Quote by poipoi
when did GP start using RSE for strings and orchestra sounds? Last time I checked, that was only for guitar, bass and drums...

That's the thing, Cellos and Clarinets are harder to simulate digitally than heavily distorted guitars. So I don't see the point for paying a ton of money for something that's still obviously fake.
^ +1

i used the eastwest symphonic gold libraries and the bosendorfer library on "the dichotomy of loss" and those are pretty much my standard de facto symphonic samples. i've not found any synths with more realistic sound than those. just different timbres and expressions. of course, unless you can find the awesomest deal on eastwest ever then the symphonic gold isn't going to be in your price range. in fact the big problem with orchestral synths is that unless you spend a LOT of money on them, they're going to sound pretty fake in general.
Last edited by z4twenny at Jul 3, 2009,
But eastwest, gpo, vienna and I think miroslav(IK Multimedia?) all record the instruments individually and as a collective... so not so much fakeness about it and definitely better than guitar pro could ever wish for. In fact, guitar pro doesn't even get mentioned in the same circles as those programs. Why? Maybe because they are superior to GP... or maybe the world hasn't caught up to the awesomeness of Guitar Pro...

Anyway, sarcasm aside, the eastwest silver edition at sweetwater (or wherever you buy it from) should start you in the right direction. And to start on Garritan is also not a bad idea.
Last edited by evolucian at Jul 3, 2009,
Well, there's a million details to the tone production of orchestral instruments where as an electric guitar is just a matter of playing with knobs and switches. So GPO is superior to Guitar Pro but Guitar Pro has a much easier job so it sounds more realistic in contrast.