Howdy,

I've read "The Idiot's Guide to Music Theory" and "The Idiot's Guide to Music Composition". They are both good books but they left me wanting more. What should I read next?

Thanks,
A Creative Approach to Music Fundamentals - William Duckworth has lots of exercises and you will understand more deep with this book.
Idiot's guide is good, Theory for Dummies, Berklee Music Theory.

Nothing beats lessons though.
Tonal Harmony: With an Introduction to Twentieth-Century Music

Its what I took my college class for Music Theory kinda hard to understand but decent book it'll teach you a lot
This is your Brain on Music by Daniel J. Levitin is great.
I (still, after everything) believe in Billy Corgan.
Quote by Reckd

Its what I took my college class for Music Theory kinda hard to understand but decent book it'll teach you a lot

+1 It's also our first year theory book. I didn't recommend it because I didn't think he would understand a word of it since he has read only Miller's book. Duckworth's book would give the introduction to it.
"Theory For The Contemporary Guitarist"

if you dont know much this is a great starter.
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
Quote by MoFly41
This is your Brain on Music by Daniel J. Levitin is great.

I would call that less a theory book, more a neuroscience/ how sound works book

Sure there's theory in it, but its just to set a base for people who have no clue
Its not a 'theory book'
Drink the sauce. Go on, it's okay. Just remember, I am the quest.

Quote by illuminatiano
YOU ARE A NO GOOD LAZY FORGETFUL STONER WITH NO FUTURE YOU ARE WORTHLESS TO SOCIETY
Quote by Reckd

+1

I've used a couple theory textbooks, and Tonal Harmony pwns.
"I love music, it's not like math. In music, 2+2 can equal 5, if it's a pretty enough 5." -Samuel R. Hazo

"Alle menschen werden bruder- all men become brothers"
-Ludwig Van Beethoven, from his 9th Symphony.

-John
Quote by blueriver
Piston's Harmony.

+1

Quote by WishfulShredder
definitely JAZZOLOGY

+1

both are very good books. If you want classical theory go with walter piston's Harmony, if you want jazz go for Jazzology, but i recommend you get both.
Last edited by mergapoot at Jul 2, 2009,