I've recently started learning the Major Scales and I'm a bit confused. What're they exactly used for? What I'm assuming, I could be wrong is that that will basically make me familiar with song that use them and when I do start writing my own songs that I'll have an easier time doing so, right? I'm probably wrong but whatever, what are they used for?
The scales are every song created ever. Every song is bits and pieces of scales. Doesn't matter if it's C Major or B double sharp(x) diminished pentatonic. If you know how they work with all the notes and changes throughout modes, they greatly improve your understanding of music and soloing as well as theory. There are patterns of fingerings used for each scale. Don't just learn these mindlessly. Think about the notes in each scale. Trust me it helps.
Scales are where the notes of a chord come from. Scales are also used for melodies or solos.

Say your friend plays a G Major chord over and over. You can play a G Major scale over that (Not the same order, you can mix it up.) then it will fit.

Know a lot of scales can help you build more chords, create more interesting solos and write better over all. They're also great for practicing many techniques and making you a cleaner player.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
For example, you use it when analysing a song, to improvise over it. And, as Strings mentioned, you understand music better. You also start recognizing patterns in almost every song, which is pretty cool, I think.
I suggest you check out the crusade column, and perhaps direct this question to the MT forum.
Quote by SimplyStrings
The scales are every song created ever. Every song is bits and pieces of scales. Doesn't matter if it's C Major or B double sharp(x) diminished pentatonic. If you know how they work with all the notes and changes throughout modes, they greatly improve your understanding of music and soloing as well as theory. There are patterns of fingerings used for each scale. Don't just learn these mindlessly. Think about the notes in each scale. Trust me it helps.

What do you mean by mindlessly? I wanna be a good guitarist and don't wanna do it 'mindlessly'. lolol
Quote by unicornfist
What do you mean by mindlessly? I wanna be a good guitarist and don't wanna do it 'mindlessly'. lolol

When you know the shapes but not the theory behind it.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
When you know the shapes but not the theory behind it.

I'm doing it mindlessly then.
Read the Music Theory FAQ sticky in Musician Talk - well the start of it anyway. It explains the major scale.