Does anyone understand the New Standard tuning used by Robert Fripp of King Crimson? If anyone could give me some pointers on how to tune the 3 high strings it would be great... are they tuned up or down?
My rig:
Gibson faded V
Dean Razorback
Fender Showman Strat
Dean Dimebag Tribute ML
Custom guitar
Boss ME-50
Marshall AVT50H

92% of teenagers have moved to rap, put this in your sig if you're in the 8% that still listens to real music.
C2 G2 D3 A3 E4 G4

The fourth string remains the same, the fifth and sixth strings are tuned down, and the first three strings are tuned up (the second string being the same as a standard-tuned first string).
ok thanks. do you play this way much? do you like it any better?
My rig:
Gibson faded V
Dean Razorback
Fender Showman Strat
Dean Dimebag Tribute ML
Custom guitar
Boss ME-50
Marshall AVT50H

92% of teenagers have moved to rap, put this in your sig if you're in the 8% that still listens to real music.
E down to C
A down to G
D remains same
G up to A
B up to E
E up to G

said it here :

The tuning is (from low to high) C2 - G2 - D3 - A3 - E4 - G4. 

Site
i have tried this tuning, and while it is neat to mess with, i do not like it very much.

the way you can make tetrachords is kinda cool though, real easy
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
Last edited by Colton165 at Jul 2, 2009,
thanks.

does anyone have experience with this tuning? im really curious as to try this tuning
My rig:
Gibson faded V
Dean Razorback
Fender Showman Strat
Dean Dimebag Tribute ML
Custom guitar
Boss ME-50
Marshall AVT50H

Quote by GibsonVdude
thanks.

does anyone have experience with this tuning? im really curious as to try this tuning

all i have to say is that if you tune to it, get it done by a tech and get a setup with it, unless youre only going to try it out for a few hours.

strings may break
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
Quote by Colton165
all i have to say is that if you tune to it, get it done by a tech and get a setup with it, unless youre only going to try it out for a few hours.

strings may break

yea i had a feeling of that... thats why i was curious if the first 3 strings were tuned up or down... i dont know if i want to try it now haha
My rig:
Gibson faded V
Dean Razorback
Fender Showman Strat
Dean Dimebag Tribute ML
Custom guitar
Boss ME-50
Marshall AVT50H

I've tried it and am not a fan. I personally found Open C to be a more fun alternative tuning.
Quote by nightwind
You must never double the leading tone ever. Failure to comply will result in a fugue related death.
I'm confused. I thought I'd come up with a nifty solution to the above (you could snap your strings) when I came up with this:

Tune your guitar to C G C G D F

This is much easier on the strings you see. Then capo the second fret, but only the first four strings. This brings it up to C G D A E G, new standard tuning. But then I remembered the capo doesn't act like a nut, but obviously just like a finger barring the frets. If I play a certain fret, it's the same with or without the capo on.

So I'm not actually playing in NST, right? I'm too tired to work it out for sure. What a dumbass, I know. Still sounds pretty cool though
pretty interesting concept. I need to play around with this tuning. it's going to be a pain in the ass relearning all hte chord fingerings though haha
Re: "Does anyone understand the New Standard tuning used by Robert Fripp of King Crimson?"

Yes, I have been using that tuning (exclusively) for over 15 years.

It makes all of the "normal" chords much easier to finger.

On normal tuning, you often have the longer fingers having to fret notes closer to your hand. In NSTuning, the notes closer to your hand are covered by the shorter fingers, which is not only logical, but much easier to do from a pure physics standpoint.

With this tuning and less than a month's time, a perfect beginner could play all Major, Minor, Major 6th, Minor 6th, Major 7th, Minor 7th, Dominant 7th, Augmented, Sus 2, and Sus 4 chords. At the time I was learning this tuning, I read the (Robert Fripp) article and then sat down with graph paper and mapped out the fingerings for the above mentioned chords. Literally, within a couple of weeks, I had all of these chords down and most importantly, they were COMFORTABLE to finger!

For noodling blues licks, this likely is not the tuning for you...for most everything else, it does have a certain logistical superiority.

Peace

James
Necrobump
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Necrobump

i'll allow it.

twas probably the best post of the entire thread.
:: Peavey JSX | XXX ::
:: LTD V | Viper | AX [EMG85] ::
:: Vader 2x12 | Krankenstein 4x12 ::
:: G50 | DecimatorG-String | 95Q ::
:: Polytune | Ditto | CarbonCopy ::
I actually use a slightly different version of this tuning. My version of this tuning goes C2 G2 D3 A3 A3 E4. It's nice because the chord shapes are really easy to make, and it can be used in a variety of contexts. I've used it to fill out the low end of the sound when my youth group praise band has no bassist, and I can use it as a plain rhythm guitar as well. The reason I have the doubled up A strings is because I don't want to have my guitars set up differently for the tuning, and because the double A strings give lead playing this mandolin like echo that I really like.
For a while I used a variant on this, being C2 G2 D3 A3 (standard Cello tuning, as it were) with the top two strings being C4 E4, forming a nice A Minor chord with the top 3 strings. Because my initials are NST, I called this tuning NSTnst. :-D. But now I've switched to the standard NST and quite enjoying it. After years (indeed- decades) of struggling with chord formations it's fun and often easier to form chords and melodies with the Fripp /Guitar Craft tuning.
Nevertheless, I guess I'm showing a bias towards tuning in 5ths because I began music lessons at school with the violin.