Do you guys know any good motown basslines? I heard they are really good and also who's the guy that plays them? Anyone?
Oh man, did I log on at the right time or what? As anyone whose been on this forum for more than a month might be able to tell you, I'm all about Jamerson. It depends on how ridiculous you're willing to get. Some of my manageable favorites are

Jr. Walker and the All-Stars - How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)
Diana Ross and the Supremes - You Can't Hurry Love and (Love Is Like A) Heat Wave
Marvin Gaye - What's Going On
Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell - Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing and Ain't No Mountain High Enough
The Spinners - It's A Shame
Stevie Wonder - For Once In My Life

I could list Motown tracks for a good while... these are ones I like, but what you should really do is get on Google or Wikipedia (or a book!) and look up James Jamerson and his role in the Funk Brothers. If you want to venture into the West Coast Motown sessions, Wilton Felder held it down pretty solid on many jackson 5 tracks.

I Want You Back and ABC

are both prime examples. But if you want a real challenge, venture back to the Jamerson side of the 5, and try your hand at

Darling Dear.

Godspeed.
Last edited by aguacateojos at Jul 2, 2009,
I Heard it Through the Grapevine, real easy, real catchy, and really good for improvising.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Maybe the Marvin Gaye version, but the Gladys Night and the Pips version is up there on the list of songs that make my fretting hand cry.
One word "Bernadette". God that song still gives me chills.

I freaking love James Jamerson. My childhood music was all about Motown and Stax, so I have a huge place in my heart for those R & B / soul singles.

One of the first Jamerson lines I learned was "Just a Little Misunderstanding" by the Contours. Its easy and lush and fun as hell to play.

There is a book based on the movie "Standing in the Shadows of Motown". While the biographical section is a bit weak, the real meat and potatoes is the transcription section of some of Jamerson's best bass lines. It comes with a CD that has tonnes of famous bass players playing Jamerson's lines.
Bootsy never played for Motown.

The most notable Motown bass players were:

James Jamerson
Bill Upchurch (did quite a few Supreme's singles)
Bob Babbitt (the infectious bass line on Signed Sealed Delivered is Bob's)
Wilton Felder - I want you Back. (this line still gives me issues..it sounds simple but is hard as frick to play in the pocket)

Also Carol Kaye played on some of the west coast Motown stuff.
Quote by anarkee

James Jamerson
Wilton Felder - I want you Back. (this line still gives me issues..it sounds simple but is hard as frick to play in the pocket)

OK My bad, he still has some killer bass lines.
Founding Member and President of UG Geezer Guild
Quote by SoundManMike
OK My bad, he still has some purple oozing sex lines.

Fixed, Big Bootsy fan, but no way is he a motown player.

Motown is really all about the pocket, you have to be that really annoying fluff thats really hard to get out of them.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Quote by anarkee

James Jamerson

Are you sure James jamerson didn't do I want you back?
^yes I'm sure. Wilton is the most credited bassist on this. Jamerson put such an amazing stamp on the Motown sound that many bassist in the Motown stable that followed picked up on the sound.
Not just Motown, but bass players the world 'round mwahahaha.

I don't know why the sinister laugh kicked in,