I have a sunburst strat and i want to relic it a little bit. On john frusciante's 62 sunburst strat the wood is showing from constant pick scratching. To emulate that on my guitar, my first thought would be to sand it but it would come out looking to smoothe. Sanding it would look good for where the arm wears throught the paint but i almost think it looks chipped. Here is a picture so you see what i mean. its number 1 that i want.

Get a really coarse grained sand paper, and maybe a dremel with an steel wool attachment.. you could imitate it, though it would take some work.
Wouldn't you have to put some sort of coat over it after you expose the wood?
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.
Wait 47 years...

In all seriousness, sand paper might work, but I don't know much about Relicing, ask GB&C
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Quote by stratman7
I'd let it age naturally. Just play a lot.

That would work if they still finished all Strats with nitrocellulose, but they don't, and poly finishes are almost bulletproof.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
That would work if they still finished all Strats with nitrocellulose, but they don't, and poly finishes are almost bulletproof.

Sand the outer polyurethane finish off then go to town?
I guess if you wanna go through about 1/4 of an inch of paint
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Anyone else find it odd that Frusciante's strat has wear above the pickgaurd. Maybe its just me, but i never strum that far out to the body of the guitar were the wears occuring.
I'm sure its from some odd damage. he's stated in a bunch of interviews that he's hard on his instruments.
I was thinking the same thing StratPlayer haha.

If I had a camera I would show you a picture of a giant Metallica ninja star I made with a coping saw a few years back. I wanted to paint it black with a silver edge and I was running out of time so I threw black paint all over it and left. 3 days later it was still tacky to the touch and decided to take a Orbital Sander to remove the paint. After a little bit I just happened to notice it gave it a "relic'd" look with random patches of paint "worn off". Looks a lot like what you're wanting to do
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by StratPlayer15
Anyone else find it odd that Frusciante's strat has wear above the pickgaurd. Maybe its just me, but i never strum that far out to the body of the guitar were the wears occuring.

When I look at my white Strat's body in the right light, I can see some gnarly pick scratches on the body for aggressive picking. I guess it just depends on how wide your strumming hand goes.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Quote by Kartman
When I look at my white Strat's body in the right light, I can see some gnarly pick scratches on the body for aggressive picking. I guess it just depends on how wide your strumming hand goes.

Your probably right.
I try to keep my strumming off the body, and on the strings

Number 4, looks like he accidently missed the input jack and hit the body w/ a cable if you ask me.
You could always get a Roadworn Series Strat and go from there, comes with a nice base for making a Frusciante replica, and a nitro finish as well.
Quote by DeltaFunk
Wait 47 years...

In all seriousness, sand paper might work, but I don't know much about Relicing, ask GB&C

i want to relic my MIM strat. Im buying a 62 reissue this month and im going to let that age naturally. BUt for this strat, id really like to find a way to get those pick scratches in.
Quote by Roc8995
I'd just buy a metal pick and go nuts on it.

this. i had a brass pick for a while and it scratched the **** out of many of my guitars.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
this. i had a brass pick for a while and it scratched the **** out of many of my guitars.

But don't those brass picks just make the most damn sexy tones, ever?
Quote by Gh057
But don't those brass picks just make the most damn sexy tones, ever?

well it was a thumbpick.. which i tried to wrap around my thumb as normal but hold like a regular pick.. eventually i got fed up and just went back to regular picks. i wish i could find a brass one again though, even though they do get sharp after a while. If i could find a thick rounded edged brass pick i'd definitely use it instead of my stubbies though
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
well it was a thumbpick.. which i tried to wrap around my thumb as normal but hold like a regular pick.. eventually i got fed up and just went back to regular picks. i wish i could find a brass one again though, even though they do get sharp after a while. If i could find a thick rounded edged brass pick i'd definitely use it instead of my stubbies though

Oh. I like the metal picks though. give the tone a sharp edge.
Quote by ThePastRecedes
You could always get a Roadworn Series Strat and go from there, comes with a nice base for making a Frusciante replica, and a nitro finish as well.

Those Roadworn guitars are so overpriced. They're MIM Strats with a V-shaped neck and cost almost a grand.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

what type of strat do you have?

if it is a cheaper strat, make sure that it is a real sunburst and not a painted on sunburst like on some guitars, because a friend was taking his paint off a cheap strat copy and the sunburst was just paint...it was like a plywoodish under it
MIM Tele
Fender Blues Jr NOS
Schecter Omen 6
Squier Strat
Greg Bennett Acoustic
other crap...
If seeing is believing...

...Then believe that we have lost our eyes!!
Quote by Flux'D
Those Roadworn guitars are so overpriced. They're MIM Strats with a V-shaped neck and cost almost a grand.

They were just on sale for $600.
^Still a little much I believe, standard harware and pickups on a standard body and finish. Only thing that makes it different from a MIM Standard is the worn finish and V-neck.

Oh, and i disagree about the sanding comment from earlier. Here's the star I did using 220-grit paper on an Orbital Sander. All the cuts are clean and straight, I promise! The camera was junk and just so happened to work with me this time haha.

SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Last edited by Flux'D at Jul 2, 2009,
Quote by Roc8995
I'd just buy a metal pick and go nuts on it.

this

get a metal pick and rape the guitar with some aggressive riffing.
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...
Quote by CliffIsAngry
this

get a metal pick and rape the guitar with some aggressive riffing.

yea i think ill do that. just a couple questions tho.

1) If you look at the picture, its almost looks like the wood is scratched horizontally against the way it would look with a pic. If i scratch it with a pick will it just be vertical scratches or will the wood spread out sideways like john's?

2) is there anything else metal i could instead of a pick, like a coin or somthing?

thank you!
Quote by Flux'D
^Still a little much I believe, standard harware and pickups on a standard body and finish. Only thing that makes it different from a MIM Standard is the worn finish and V-neck.

Tex-mex pups, nitro finish, 7.25" radius, 3-saddle bridge on the tele, probably more. Apparently they don't get played between the ninth and twelfth freth, who knew? (must not be designed after one of clapton's)
^Ah, I stand corrected then
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Quote by StratPlayer15

Yeah, and it's clearly not from strumming heavily, why would the scrapes in area 1 be going the opposite way in which he strums? It's clearly done purposely - and you wouldn't get that from one knock.
...Steel pick? I have one, it scratces up the guitar if you use it enough. thats all I got. I ussually try to preserve my guitars finish, but, you know..

Flippedit: Use a dremel tool. I forget which attachment, but I heard they work well if you do it right.

flippedit2: Beaten to it.
Last edited by SlayingDragons at Jul 3, 2009,
Quote by StratPlayer15
Your probably right.
I try to keep my strumming off the body, and on the strings

Number 4, looks like he accidently missed the input jack and hit the body w/ a cable if you ask me.

The funny thing is you'll never realize just how far your hand goes when you strum. Like on my acoustic, there are marks going all the way to the end of the lower bout

It really does happen naturally though. If you look at enough old guitars (especially Strats with the way the body is flat) that were gigged with for an extended period of time, you'll see that most have the finish worn down pretty badly in that spot.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Last edited by Natrone at Jul 3, 2009,