he's one of my idols.....technically it's obvious people have surpassed him,but his natural ability and aura are what keeps me intrigued to him.What are your thoughts?and who do you think is the closest modern day thing to him ?if there is such thing?
Jimi Hendrix had a great feel for rhythm and a very innovative sound (for the time), his rhythm playing was just great, creative, but not so far out there to keep it from actually sounding good.
He was highly creative.. to say the least...

But I'll attribute that to the mass amounts of drugs he was on.

Other than that, skill wise, probably not.. He was good, but a lot of guys nowadays could upstage him easily.

Though no one could possibly reinvent our instrument as much as that man did.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYwZ8I8wOGA

My favorite video of Hendrix ever. His tone in that video is one of my favorites of all time.

But listen to his playing during the verses, it's just perfect in every way, and it's not the boring, trite repetitive rhythms that you hear in so much of rock music, it's dynamic and melodic. The man just knew how to play guitar and he did it so effortlessly with such great fluidity and feel.
Last edited by al112987 at Jul 2, 2009,
He made the guitar do things no body thought was possible. It sounds were almost unreal, but somehow always had that guitar feel and vibe. If you're into blues or slide at all, check out Eric Sardinas... he's the resonator equivalent to Jimi.
No.
My gear:
-Ibanez JS 6000 Custom w/ 11-48 gauge
-Ibanez FGM 400BB w/ 10-46 gauge
-Peavey 6505 2x12 Combo
-MXR Phase 90
-Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
-Morley Wah/Volume Pro Series II
-Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer
-Gator G-Bus 8
-Xotic BB Preamp
He was innovative, creative, and definately influenced guitar playing after him. After Hendrix guitarists began being more technical, solos became more common place and more technical, and it stayed that way till the late 80s, early 90s.
He was one of the most influential and talented guitarists, but not the greatest guitarist.

IMO there will never be a greatest guitarist. Considering how people have different tastes as to what sounds better to them, there can never be a "greatest" one. Unless someone can manage to make music that appeals to everybody alive, and manages to influence every single musician in the world, there is no greatest guitarist.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Last edited by tmfiore at Jul 2, 2009,
Greatest? Yes.

Best? Too complex to define who is best
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
there is no "greatest" of all time. has he had more influence than any other electric guitarist? quite possibly. did he play with more soul than anyone else? that's arguable. was he the most creative? maybe, maybe not. is he the best ever technique-wise? i don't think anyone would argue that he is. there are too many subjective and unmeasurable factors to determine if he or anyone else is/was the greatest of all time.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Quote by tmfiore
He was one of the most influential and talented guitarists, but not the greatest guitarist.

IMO there will never be a greatest guitarists. Considering how people have different tastes as to what sounds better to them, there can never be a "greatest" one. Unless someone can manage to make music that appeals to everybody alive, and manages to influence every single musician in the world, there is no greatest guitarist.

This won the topic for me.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
na i dont reckon he was, in my opinion theres many great guitarists, both technically and creatively, are better than hendrix, in my opinion. Hes music just isnt my type
Hi there
Quote by Gh057
He was highly creative.. to say the least...

But I'll attribute that to the mass amounts of drugs he was on.

Couldn't even get past three posts without someone saying this dumbass response.
there have been what, like, 500 threads on this question?
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
Quote by Andrew07
Couldn't even get past three posts without someone saying this dumbass response.

Nah, its true he really was on a mixture of Marijuana, LSD, and mushrooms.

A lot of '70s musicians were like that.

I'm not saying its bad... in fact, it worked for him, quite well.
Yes he was the greatest more for just doing things that no one else has even thought of doing with guitar. Today sound wise i would say it would be Mayer, if it was doing new things I would say Tom Morello or Jack White.
Quote by tmfiore

IMO there will never be a greatest guitarists. Considering how people have different tastes as to what sounds better to them, there can never be a "greatest" one. Unless someone can manage to make music that appeals to everybody alive, and manages to influence every single musician in the world, there is no greatest guitarist.

This says it all. For instance, I would say that SRV is the greatest guitarist of all time, but I'm more of a blues guy, and judge guitar playing partially on technical talent, but mostly by expression through the instrument. Conversely speaking, a metalhead to judges by technical ability would say someone like....I don't know....Malmsteen or something. And then someone else might say Jimmy Page. Another will say its Hendrix. There's never gonna be a greatest guitarist because greatness is subjective in the world of music
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
so i'd say for the time he was around, not to me. I think that Frank Zappa was way better, plus if it wasnt for zappa, hendrix would have never set that guitar on fire.
look, TS, music is a continuous progression. to accept anyone as the best or greatest ever really defeats the purpose of musical progression.
Quote by AA00P
Quote by guitarsftw
look, TS, music is a continuous progression. to accept anyone as the best or greatest ever really defeats the purpose of musical progression.

But in history, each STYLE has a specific best player.

Psych rock has Hendrix.

Blues has BB King.

Neo classical has Yngwie, Rhoads, and MAB.

Metal has Loomis, and plenty of others.

While progression exists, the fact remains, some people are best at what they do.
Quote by Gh057
But in history, each STYLE has a specific best player.

Psych rock has Hendrix.

Blues has BB King.

Neo classical has Yngwie, Rhoads, and MAB.

Metal has Loomis, and plenty of others.

While progression exists, the fact remains, some people are best at what they do.

no, there are no specific bests. that is such a narrow view of music. EVERYTHING is subjective in this matter.
Quote by AA00P
Quote by guitarsftw
no, there are no specific bests. that is such a narrow view of music. EVERYTHING is subjective in this matter.

I disagree. there are bests in genres.

We can agree to disagree, or start a posting war... and those don't end well.
Quote by Gh057
I disagree. there are bests in genres.

We can agree to disagree, or start a posting war... and those don't end well.

there are favorites, but no bests. all your posts in this thread are full of
Quote by AA00P
Quote by guitarsftw
there are favorites, but no bests. all your posts in this thread are full of

Still disagree. a million people have disputed this, and a million people take differen sides on the matter.

Like I said, agree to disagree, or ignite a war.
I think hendrix is definitely the greatest guitar performer/entertainer. Let's face it, skill wise, anyone can surpass him, even Herman Li. Tonewise, Joe Satrinani and Steve Vai surpass him. But Jimi hendrix used a variety other ways to keep the crowd entertained.
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
BluesJr 1996-B + cathode follower + texas Heat
Crate CPB150
Homemade 4 x 10 cab Bass closeback
Metal Muff
Quote by Gh057
Still disagree. a million people have disputed this, and a million people take differen sides on the matter.

Like I said, agree to disagree, or ignite a war.

fine, then consider this a religious holy war, a crusade, if you will, against you and your narrow views.

also, define "best". being that what makes people like music is taste, and taste is unique from person to person, as well as subjective, there are no grounds to call anyone the best. there are no facts in subjective matters. THAT is a fact.
Quote by AA00P
Quote by guitarsftw
fine, then consider this a religious holy war, a crusade, if you will, against you and your narrow views.

also, define "best". being that what makes people like music is taste, and taste is unique from person to person, as well as subjective, there are no grounds to call anyone the best. there are no facts in subjective matters. THAT is a fact.

you aren't going to change my opinion on people believing other guitar players to be the best in one particular genre.

I agree, it is subjective based on taste, but fact is fact.

If someone is good in a particular style, people will thus recognize it and name them best in that given style.
The GREATEST guitarist imo is easily shawn lane who was a big hendrix fan. I like fusion though. If people say the most innovative guitarist is the greatest I'd say it's eddie van halen.
Hey check out my band. Prog Metal/Death/Jazz
www.myspace.com/siegeofaugusta

1993 Jackson Rhoads Standard w/ EMG's for sale, PM if interested
Quote by zezimathehero
^Shut the hell up and talk about BTBAM
Quote by Gh057
fact is fact.

There is no fact in music. Music is entirely opinion, everyone has different tastes. personally I think that your list, except for psychedelia, is crap. Jason Becker is better than anyone you listed for neoclassical when he could play and as much as I like the king of blues, SRV > BB King. It's all opinion, no fact, so shut up and start listening to guitarsftw; one post of his in this topic has made more sense than your entire set in this topic so far.

was he the greatest skillwise? no

was he one of the most influential guitar players of all time? hell yes
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
To me, metal solos these days have become so technical, that it has become something almost robotic and non human. Hendrix, on the other hand played his heart out every performance, putting all he had into each song he did. That is worth more then any metal head today can do.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Quote by necrosis1193
There is no fact in music. Music is entirely opinion, everyone has different tastes. personally I think that your list, except for psychedelia, is crap. Jason Becker is better than anyone you listed for neoclassical when he could play and as much as I like the king of blues, SRV > BB King. It's all opinion, no fact, so shut up and start listening to guitarsftw; one post of his in this topic has made more sense than your entire set in this topic so far.

I missed Jason Becker. I agree he is the best Neo classically

And SRV, I forgot about him as well. My bad.

He truly his the king of the bluesy style.

But what's funny, is both of those players were inspired by Hendrix =/

And yes, there is fact in music.

A Treble clef is also known as a G clef.

Fact. Part of music.

Prove me wrong.
Quote by Gh057
I missed Jason Becker. I agree he is the best Neo classically

And SRV, I forgot about him as well. My bad.

He truly his the king of the bluesy style.

But what's funny, is both of those players were inspired by Hendrix =/

And yes, there is fact in music.

A Treble clef is also known as a G clef.

Fact. Part of music.

Prove me wrong.

i think you misunderstood what he was trying to say, i believe he was trying to say there is no right or wrong way to play music, it's all up to the listener.

or that you cant make a wide statement like "If you play X,X,X, and X, and then switch to the X mode of the minor scale, it will sound good". cause it's all up to the listener.

may be wrong though,
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Last edited by conor1148 at Jul 2, 2009,
Quote by conor1148
i think you misunderstood what he was trying to say, i believe he was trying to say there is no right or wrong way to play music, it's all up to the listener.

may be wrong though,

No, that was correct.

Quote by necrosis1193
No, that was correct.

Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Quote by conor1148

or that you cant make a wide statement like "If you play X,X,X, and X, and then switch to the X mode of the minor scale, it will sound good". cause it's all up to the listener.

may be wrong though,

Oh no, I understood it in that sense as well, I'm just playing off the most literally version of the phrase.

Just to piss him off, really. Because he had to be stubborn an non-peaceful.