I remember hearing a while back (I don't know if it was on this forum) about something along the lines of having your bass sound similar to that of a piano. This is something that I'd really like to get into, what can you guys tell me about it, or am I completely off my rocker and thinking about like a guitar or something else instead of bass?
G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow
Ibanez SR305 DX
Washbrun XB100 (modified)
Ibanez SW35

Fender Telecaster (MIM)
Orange Crush 15R

Danelectro Corned Beef Reverb
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
RSD 99 Piano string core bass strings. they would help, if thats what you want.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
HyperBass?
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
I would say you would have to study the tone ADSR and harmonics of piano notes, and then get some reasonably powerful signal processing to try and emulate it.

Alternatively, if you have alot of money lying around... Roland Gr-20 with the bass pup.
I remember reading a review of an ESP bass where it was said that the long (35") scale gave it a piano-like tone.

stratkat
Youd pretty much have to tap all the time if you wanted your bass to sound like a piano (to recreate the sound of the hammer hitting the string)
rubber pick and a very clean amp tone will get you very close.
Founding Member and President of UG Geezer Guild
I once had some strings that where very high-midsy and clear, I got told they sounded kind of like a Piano when I played.

Though if you want your bass to sound similar to a piano, I guess, play around with some strings picks/techniques and eq... then when you think your there, Good Job man!
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Thanks for all the responces so far, I'm following this very closely. Anyone else interested in this thing besides me?

So far I got:
Piano string core bass strings (didn't even know they made those)
Tapping (I can definately see how this can help)
Rubber pick (this sounds intriguing, worth a shot)

Any suggestions as what to do for for a bass? Like what woods to look into or pick-ups and such? I doubt my Ibanez can get even close to what I'm aiming for here, hah.
G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow
Ibanez SR305 DX
Washbrun XB100 (modified)
Ibanez SW35

Fender Telecaster (MIM)
Orange Crush 15R

Danelectro Corned Beef Reverb
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
Quote by Helbent Revenge
Thanks for all the responces so far, I'm following this very closely. Anyone else interested in this thing besides me?

So far I got:
Piano string core bass strings (didn't even know they made those)
Tapping (I can definately see how this can help)
Rubber pick (this sounds intriguing, worth a shot)

Any suggestions as what to do for for a bass? Like what woods to look into or pick-ups and such? I doubt my Ibanez can get even close to what I'm aiming for here, hah.

I like using an E-Bow on a fretless
Founding Member and President of UG Geezer Guild
Since all notes on a piano are actually multiple strings being struck instead of just one maybe an 8 or 12 string(double/tripled up) would help?
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Piano tone is essentially what you get with a brand new set of strings on a P-Bass with a pick. It can sound quite close to low piano notes (the term is relating to the sound of an individual note, rather than emulating the sound of someone playing the piano).
Quote by Revelation
Since all notes on a piano are actually multiple strings being struck instead of just one maybe an 8 or 12 string(double/tripled up) would help?

the lowest octaves are only one string, though..
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
Quote by capslockisnton

you sure? hmmm maybe. I guess I don't look inside my piano enough lol.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
I've heard that a particular type of metal sounds more "piano-like" than others. Look into Tomastik strings, I seem to remember them advertising strings like those. As far as I can tell, using those strings and perhaps a rubber pick will get you what you want. I can imagine a longer scale bass will help with that as well.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Quote by tubatom868686
Youd pretty much have to tap all the time if you wanted your bass to sound like a piano (to recreate the sound of the hammer hitting the string)

Or slap near the bridge...
Quote by Mudmen190
Or slap near the bridge...

No, that just sounds clanky. Thats what you wanna do if your trying to get Korns bassists tone. Not if you wanna sound like a piano

Not only will tapping SOMEWHAT recreate the action of the hammer striking the string, it will give you easier access to a range that you would use on a piano. Plus easier chord playing
Quote by capslockisnton

Are they really like this? I knew organs were
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by ScottB.
Are they really like this? I knew organs were

Yes. The lower notes have one, and then eventually they start adding more strings per note as you get higher until theres about 4 or 5 strings per note.

I think its for volume more than anything

get some of these but fretting wont work and you only will be able to play that many different notes how many strings you have
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Quote by tubatom868686
Yes. The lower notes have one, and then eventually they start adding more strings per note as you get higher until theres about 4 or 5 strings per note.

Ah okay I get you, at first I thought you meant different octaved strings
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by tubatom868686

really? Every piano i've ever seen had 1 at the lowest and 3 at the highest. It's not only for volume, but for the soft pedal. In piano music, "una corda" is used to designate using the soft pedal because it shifts all of the hammers over so that, for the notes with 2 or 3 strings, only one string actually gets hit (hence una corda, one string), and then tre corde (three strings) to release the pedal.

what this has to do with making a bass sound like a piano...idk. i kind of agree with slapping near the bridge for that sound
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
Quote by Casketcreep
I'd say your best bet would be an 88 string fretless.

think of a harp with a fingerboard and pickups
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!