I hold my pick like a loose fist with my thumb and index finger parallel. I see people holding it like I do with the other 3 fingers kinda just hanging there. I keep mine in a loose fist does this matter. Like does it make it easier to pick or anything. cause if it does im definitely gonna start doing that lol
It's all up to preference. If you're looking for validation, John Petrucci does it.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
lol whichever way you pick is the way you should pick, man. Unless its hindering your playing, i wouldn't change a thing. I've wondered the same sort of thing about my fretting hand; i always see people playing riffs and solos with their thumb hanging way over the top of the neck, but i can't play anything unless my thumb is right down the back of the neck :P which kind of looks weird :S

tl;dr: do whatever is more comfortable for you
Quote by Nickpocalypse
lol whichever way you pick is the way you should pick, man. Unless its hindering your playing, i wouldn't change a thing. I've wondered the same sort of thing about my fretting hand; i always see people playing riffs and solos with their thumb hanging way over the top of the neck, but i can't play anything unless my thumb is right down the back of the neck :P which kind of looks weird :S

tl;dr: do whatever is more comfortable for you

i dont think it would mess up my playing i mean whats the difference between letting 3 fingers hang rather then holding them in a loose fist
The only advantage of not 'fisting' is that it leaves fingers free for the odd fingerpick. Not really worth messing your style for.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Lurcher
The only advantage of not 'fisting' is that it leaves fingers free for the odd fingerpick. Not really worth messing your style for.

Yeah, I rarely hybrid pick... so that's unnecessary, for me at least.

I think since this guy is just starting, he'll be alright just messing around with his comfort zone for now until he figures it all out.
Relax your hand and look at it - thats pretty much what it should look like when you're picking.