Hey,

I've got an old Gordon Smith GS1.5 that I'm fixing up and I've run into a problem that I need to run past you guys.

The guitar has a new KA Humbucker at the bridge (coil tapped on a push/pull volume pot) and a KA single coil at the neck. Both pickups work fine on their own, the coil tap is working too, BUT when I select the middle position the sound just, well, kinda dies. All thickness and tone and volume are stripped down to infantile levels! It sounds really weak and tinny.

I've replaced the pickup selector switch but the problem remains. I can dig out a wiring diagram for you guys if that will help?

Any ideas on what's going on???

Cheers,
Will
Sounds like its shorting out somewhere. Is this with the coil tap in use or with humbucking, or both?
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

It's with both coild tapped and full humbucker. The humbucker itself is fine when it's the only pickup selected, so too is the single coil neck. It's exclusively when the switch is in the middle position...
Last edited by machin05 at Jul 2, 2009,
I've been doing a bit of reading and it may be that my neck and bridge pikups are "phasing eachother out" when both are selected.

This can be caused by one of the pickups having reversed magnet. Is this correct or am I embarrassingly confused?

If this is the case, am I right in thinking i could sort this problem out by switching the + and - wires on one of my pickups. Buy the looks of my diagram it would be easier to switch the neck pup.
Would this procedure have any adverse effects?
Quote by machin05
Hey folks, can any help with this?
sure. thanks for waiting a day before bumping. not sure how i missed this yesterday.

Quote by machin05
I've been doing a bit of reading and it may be that my neck and bridge pikups are "phasing eachother out" when both are selected.

This can be caused by one of the pickups having reversed magnet. Is this correct or am I embarrassingly confused?

If this is the case, am I right in thinking i could sort this problem out by switching the + and - wires on one of my pickups. Buy the looks of my diagram it would be easier to switch the neck pup.
Would this procedure have any adverse effects?
*Out of phase.

Yes, that could happen if a magnet was installed upside down.

Switching polarity on one of the pickups will cure the out of phase condition.

If the (-) wire of the pickup is also connected to the baseplate, you'll get a lot of hum when switching the wires especially if you touch it. Otherwise, no adverse effects.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Cool, I will swap the wires on the single coil and see how that goes.

Cheers for your help