hi,
I'm starting playing some stoner/doom (not metal) and I'm looking for a specific sound. I tune my guitars very low (the lowest string is usually B or C) and I mainly use Fuzz pedals for bass guitar, or a ProCo RAT, in the clean channel.
I mainly play with guitars that use hot humbucker pickups.
I currently own a Fender Deville Combo and I'm quite happy about the sound but I want to buy a Head/Cabinet setup.
I want an Amp that can react well to the low distorted frequencies I send into it, that isn't tick or metalish (I don't need a bright sound) and can sound kinda warm and "full" of bass/mids.

I live in Europe, I can't afford MatAmps or Orange Amps. I've tried a JCM800 Combo and I didn't like it very much.

I know that the best thing is to go to a shop and try something myself, but:
- for past experiences I don't trust shop owners anymore when they are selling me stuff I don't know (I'm not an amp expert...)
- I want to go to the shop with 2 or 3 suggestions from the forum and try those

thank you all in advance!
Last edited by ansiaaa at Jul 2, 2009,
You could look at a bass amp whith large speakers, like 1x15 or 4x12. That will give you a lot of 'oomph'
Quote by basilbrush
You could look at a bass amp whith large speakers, like 1x15 or 4x12. That will give you a lot of 'oomph'

would I still get the kick out of the distortion? Or would it sound too muddy with something like that?
Also I've no idea what could be the best bass amp to try :/
If you like the Fender's sound...why the hell would you need another?
It's a great amp from what I hear. You don't need a half stack...every good guitarists knows that it's not cool to just have a halfstack even if it's worse than you combo.
You know...poison is in small bottles...
Keep that in mind.
If you can't afford higher-end amps....why would you buy a worse amp than your combo? I don't get it.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Quote by Kozlic
If you like the Fender's sound...why the hell would you need another?
It's a great amp from what I hear. You don't need a half stack...every good guitarists knows that it's not cool to just have a halfstack even if it's worse than you combo.
You know...poison is in small bottles...
Keep that in mind.
If you can't afford higher-end amps....why would you buy a worse amp than your combo? I don't get it.

I can afford a higher end amp than my current combo, not just something over the top like an Orange tho...

I want to sell my fender cos that's not exactly the sound I want. I told you about it just to give an hint, an idea, since describing a sound with words is kinda difficult.
Another reason is that it resonate like s**t on the lower frequencies that I play so much (all the HotRod series amps I've tried have this problem).

It's not like I just want a head/cabinet for the sake of it.
Quote by ansiaaa
would I still get the kick out of the distortion? Or would it sound too muddy with something like that?
Also I've no idea what could be the best bass amp to try :/

It sounds great. I use a vintage bass 1X15 tube combo and it sounds crushing with my dirt pedals. You can just buy the extension cab and still use your Fender. It would give you the lows which you want.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
It sounds great. I use a vintage bass 1X15 tube combo and it sounds crushing with my dirt pedals. You can just buy the extension cab and still use your Fender. It would give you the lows which you want.

I'll give a try to some bass amps at the store then, thanks!

Other suggestions? Keep them coming, I'd like to have some different amps to try
Bigger speakers will give you more oomph on the low end. I would get a Vader 2x15 extension cab.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks