Im particularly after a more hendrix kind of sound. Is a 20x capable of delivering this kinda tone?
You could approximate the tone, given the amps that are modelled, but really, a better amp is needed. This won't be easy or cheap however as you live in New Zealand and the Antipodes are notorious for how expensive guitar gear is.

Don't be afraid to buy used. check Craigslist, Gumtree and eBay.

Other modelling amps worth looking at are the Vox Valvetronix and Line 6 Flextone (look for the Line 6 used!)- both are much better than the Roland.
If you have humbuckers, just stop trying, you'll never get that kind of tone.
nope single coils.

really surprised to see someone recommend a valvetronix over a cube. is that just for this particular sound? the cubes are so well loved.
^The distortion on the cubes are much better IMO.
Well what channel are you using?
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
well thats the thing im not yet as i dont have the amp. so not sure what kinda muffy tubey channel it has. i have a wah pedal.
Oh, you don't have the amp yet, sorry.

Well, I guess tomorrow, as it is too late now, I could try the settings from the Ultimate Settings Thread, and PM you?
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik

yeah i guess thats my only option.

what if i went with a vox tube? not than i can afford one. maybe a small one (is it 4w??) and some kinda pedal? would that tone be better. i got a tele. i know strat would be better.
Yeah, there's the AC4tv, which is supposedly the smaller version of the AC15's, etc, and it is 4w. I don't really know enough about them to recommend to them to you, but another thing to check out is the Epi VJ and some nice pedals. Hopefully someone else will have some answers
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik

I had an AC-4. It was great. I'm getting another as the last one died on me - don't let that put you off. You will do much better at getting the tones you're after if you buy one of them.

As for a muffy tone, you need a muff for that, but if it's Hendrix fuzz you're after, look at something else other than a Muff - unless it's the double muff.
yeah the retro dunlop face face is $300 here, ouch, thats like 2/3 the price of the amp !

so a valve amp like the jr or vox will sound ok at low levels or do i need some kinda drive pedal? i live in an apartment.
im confused. some experts say the ss is as good as a tube and like buying wine people buy on price tag not sound, ie expensive tube = good taste but in reality solid states in most circumstances sound as good. then most people here seem to think ss cant give that tone. i dunno.
The 'experts' are generally people trying to sell SS amps though. In reality, SS amps are good for practising at home and such, but when you're going for an overdriven tone a la SRV they cant do it becuase they don't have tubes. Likewise you cant use overdrive pedals to such great effect, because you can't 'overdrive' a circuit board. The cube is a great amp, and you'll be able to get a good/clean and distorted sound from it, and it's important to remember that people spend a lot of money going after tone like SRV's. The AC4 is a good little amp, but if you want to play cleans at any kind of volume you're going to struggle with it.

Good luck man
Quote by steel337
If you have humbuckers, just stop trying, you'll never get that kind of tone.

you can get a pretty good SRV tone with humbuckers... He had a more bassy sound anyway since he used such thick strings and played on the neck a lot. I can get a decent SRV tone if i put it to my bridge humbucker with presence on the amp at about 5 o clock (thats the most important thing) and mids on max, treble and bass about halfway.

Keep in mind this only works when i have the main volume on about 8 on my TSL cus for SRV you really need abit of power amp breakup :\
Find a used pro jr or blues jr. That's really gonna do a better job than trying to get blood out of a rock. But you may be able to eek a passable tone out of the cube. Are you looking for his lead tone or the rythym tone? The difference being a tube screamer and the amount of mids/drive. His rythym tone has a lot less mids than his lead tone obviously.