Page 1 of 4
I don't know of any in bands aside from Bad Brains.
There aren't many blacks in the scene because punk, even to this day, still gets associated with Nazis. It's the same with Skinheads, there's more blacks than you'd think by going by public opinion.

Stupid Nazi bull**** gets attached to too many things it has barely anything to do with.
Yes, I'm from California, yes I like Hockey, no I do not like the Ducks, yes I like the Kings!
Bubba Dupree from Void
Ivan Julian Richard Hell
3/4 of Trash Talk
Poly Styrene from X-Ray Specs
DH Peligro from DK

urm...sure there's more.
In America at least, the lack of black people in punk isn't due to the structure of the punk culture. It's due to the structure of modern black culture. You either act like a thug to gain respect on the streets or you act extra proper to get respect in society. I mean, how many black emo kids have you seen? If you act like that, you'd get harassed even worse than a white emo kid does.
Quote by RockThe40oz
In America at least, the lack of black people in punk isn't due to the structure of the punk culture. It's due to the structure of modern black culture. You either act like a thug to gain respect on the streets or you act extra proper to get respect in society. I mean, how many black emo kids have you seen? If you act like that, you'd get harassed even worse than a white emo kid does.

or you act like yourself...?

try to sound a little less ignorant next time you have something to say.
Quote by konfyouzd
or you act like yourself...?

try to sound a little less ignorant next time you have something to say.

I think you missed his point.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
This thread is actually pretty racist, because you're drawing attention to ethnicity.

DH Peligro.

Pointing out the fact that there aren't many blacks in Punk Rock bands isn't racist.
Oh boy.

Another thread where everyone gets to act like they're the most morally pure person in here.
They say the old woman's got the wisdom
'Cause she couldn't read the clock anymore
She said "The numbers don't represent the moments"
Says she don't see what all the ticking's for
Quote by TheHowling
Pointing out the fact that there aren't many blacks in Punk Rock bands isn't racist.

Yes it is racism, because it means that ethnicity is an issue, and it should not be.

Genetic makeup is irrelevant (except for people with serious inheritable genetic diseases, who should be forcibly sterilised, or possibly even gassed) to why people should associate themselves with certain social groups when they have multiple social groups to belong to.

While I do concede that a person's colour often does have an impact on their social character, this is only down to tradition, typically immigrant areas who (out of ease) band together rather than share their culture with their new communities, which I think is a real shame, and I also think that people who do this (communities are generally led by old people) are conservative bastards no better than the white racist f*ckers people who have a problem with them. I went into an asian grocery store the other day, and they were a bit weird about serving me because I'm white. If anything, the 'us and them' mindset that everyone is into only creates racial tension. But at the same time, I can't drag these communities into the pub and have a multi-cultural get together because neither side seems to want that.

The ONLY reason that ethnicity is even a concept is because minorities and majorities are very slow to break down barriers and integrate with each other. Don't get me wrong, things are progressing - As an example, I'm happy to see an increase in mixed race couples, that's boner fide progress.
Last edited by BrianApocalypse at Jul 2, 2009,
My style is impetuous.
My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious.
I want your heart.
I want to eat your children.

-Mike Tyson
Quote by werty22
I think you missed his point.

i think he could have made his point better. i know what he's talking about. we blacks have a saying for that.

"you're always too black for the white man and too white for the black man."

not all of us are influence by this as we can see through the bull**** and be ourselves regardless of what society says we should do.

i don't like to be generalized. nor does anyone else. particuarly not by someone outside of the group who probably doesn't know what they're talking about...
Quote by TheHowling

QUESTION: why the hell does it matter what the ethnic makeup of the punk scene is?
It is interesting from the sociological perspective.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Quote by yeahyeah

i suppose so... i just didn't like the comment i addressed previously. i really don't have a big problem with the topic, because there are a lot of areas where you typically won't find black guys... country music... golf courses... etc.

so i don't really have a problem with the discussion of this "phenomenon"--if you will. i just have a problem with some of the theories people come up with in an attempt to explain said phenomenon. can you dig it?
Quote by Greenfinger182
Oh boy.

Another thread where everyone gets to act like they're the most morally pure person in here.
Well put my good man. Well put.

Punk was always about middle-to-lower class white kids. Not that punk was exclusionary to minorities, but when you have a subculture started primarily by white kmids the majority of the people who are gonna understand where those white kids are coming from are other white kids. 'Bout as simple as that.
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
Quote by axeslash

Punk was always about middle-to-lower class white kids. Not that punk was exclusionary to minorities, but when you have a subculture started primarily by white kmids the majority of the people who are gonna understand where those white kids are coming from are other white kids. 'Bout as simple as that.

most level-headed thing i've read in here yet.
Quote by neidnarb11890
Black people have held a grudge against punks ever since we let Dee Dee make a rap album.

... and i'm not sure what this means
Quote by yeahyeah
It is. In fact if I get the chance to, I'll write about it for my sociology class.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by element4433
It is. In fact if I get the chance to, I'll write about it for my sociology class.

i feel like there are better topics for a sociology paper.
Quote by lavazza
^that´s exactly what´s the topic of sociology, something like "Why is the black minority not so attracted to a subculture like punk?"

the answer to that is simple, though. it's not something we're typically raised with. i mean there's nothing deep behind that.
Quote by konfyouzd
i feel like there are better topics for a sociology paper.
It's not like I'm going to get it published. Why not write about something that interests me? I've already used the punk subculture as examples in several papers and essay questions.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by element4433
It's not like I'm going to get it published. Why not write about something that interests me? I've already used the punk subculture as examples in several papers and essay questions.

i suppose so... i just think the answer to the question is entirely too simple, that's all.

i mean you don't see a bunch of white kids groovin' to celia cruz on their way to work either. i don't think it's a big mystery why salsa isn't big in the caucasian community...
Last edited by konfyouzd at Jul 2, 2009,
Quote by konfyouzd
the answer to that is simple, though. it's not something we're typically raised with. i mean there's nothing deep behind that.

maybe it´s obvious, but you can just answer it from a trivial, normative perspective......though writing something empiric is a bit more complicated
Last edited by lavazza at Jul 2, 2009,
Quote by konfyouzd
i suppose so... i just think the answer to the question is entirely too simple, that's all.
Not really. Especially when you compare it to the different sociological points of view. There's a lot more to it than just "Who they spend their time with."
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by lavazza
maybe it´s obvious, but you can just answer it from a trivial, normative perspective......though writing something empiric is a bit more complicated

yea. i always found it much more interest to write or read something that didn't state the obvious for 3 or more pages, dig?
Quote by element4433
Not really. Especially when you compare it to the different sociological points of view. There's a lot more to it than just "Who they spend their time with."

i think that's entirely the case. your taste in music is a result of what you've been exposed to. and how do you get exposed to things? by being around them. i'm gonna go out on a limb and say that most black people are probably raised by one or more black people who were also raised by one or more black people they probably weren't exposing the to punk music much like i imagine most white parents aren't playing lil jon and the east side boys or tito puente records for their children.

music is just as much a part of a culture as the way we dress and speak. black people are not naturally drawn to this form of music because it's culturally foreign...
Quote by konfyouzd
i think that's entirely the case. your taste in music is a result of what you've been exposed to. and how do you get exposed to things? by being around them. i'm gonna go out on a limb and say that most black people are probably raised by one or more black people who were also raised by one or more black people they probably weren't exposing the to punk music much like i imagine most white parents aren't playing lil jon and the east side boys or tito puente records for their children.

music is just as much a part of a culture as the way we dress and speak. black people are not naturally drawn to this form of music because it's culturally foreign...
You're the first new person this summer that I don't hate.

High five
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
Quote by axeslash
You're the first new person this summer that I don't hate.

High five

nice!

glad i could uhh... not get on your nerves...?
Quote by konfyouzd
nice!

glad i could uhh... not get on your nerves...?
It's quite a rare occurrence.
Quote by axeslash
It's quite a rare occurrence.

it seems like every forum i join everyone hates on the newbies. then again, now that i've been on a couple of them for a little while i see a lot of newbies that kinda **** it up for everyone else.
Quote by konfyouzd

If I was using the Conflict perspective my thesis statement would be something like "Blacks are kept out of the punk subculture because of a 'ruling class' who keeps them out" (that was a horrible thesis statement). Then I could go into the reason people join subcultures being that they feel oppressed by the culture and need an outlet to rebel (Again, this is horrible). There's a lot more to writing sociology papers. Most of the time my professor assigns the conflict perspective to people whose last name starts with A-M, and N-Z gets the Functionalist perspective.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by neidnarb11890
Black people have held a grudge against punks ever since we let Dee Dee make a rap album.

Page 1 of 4