actually this strategy does work. because you are training for different type of speed here...you are actually working on learning to move the hands faster and then coming back to work on accuracy. It does not mean that you should only use this one approach for speed and nothing else, it's only one approach.

I've been using this technique to push my 16th notes past 200bpm and it worked. (and I'm still playing clean)

Also I remember seeing interviews on practicing by Shawn lane where mentioned something similar and also JP talked about this in his rock discipline video for building speed.
Last edited by sweepbot5000 at Jul 2, 2009,
I find Tom Hess to be an amazing teacher and everything he says seems to be correct and makes sense.

On that particular article, yes it works. He's not telling you to play sloppy a lot, just about 20% of the time, to break out of mental barriers like numerous other guitar players talk about (i.e., Shawn Lane, John Petrucci); do speed bursts to break mental barriers and go back to a slower, cleaner speed for a while, repeat.
Quote by sweepbot5000
actually this strategy does work. because you are training for different type of speed here...you are actually working on learning to move the hands faster and then coming back to work on accuracy. It does not mean that you should only use this one approach for speed and nothing else, it's only one approach.

I've been using this technique to push my 16th notes past 200bpm and it worked. (and I'm still playing clean)

Also I remember seeing interviews on practicing by Shawn lane where mentioned something similar and also JP talked about this in his rock discipline video for building speed.

yes, that article and others by hess have helped me too. I increased my speed with them. Like he says dont' only practice at the speeds beyond your control, simply do it for a bit to get your hands used to THINKING that fast and then go back down.

and I also remember the Petrucci thing. It's hilarious how he said "I was at 200bpm, let's say that was difficult"
hey, if this worked for shawn lane and petrucci, it should be good enough for the rest of us
Quote by VKombinator
hey, if this worked for shawn lane and petrucci, it should be good enough for the rest of us

yes, but Petrucci isn't human.

Anyway, I'm gonna try out this article and part 1 as well. I'm in a rut