So i've been playing for a while and my birthday is coming, the current guitar I got is this noob guitar http://www.jamshop.se/html/RazorDevil.jpg, and I want a more serious, better tone, feel guitar that I can practice a lot with and do some gigs/bandpractices And I've considered the Ibanez RG350mdx http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/electric_guitars/ibanez/rg350mdx/index.html

Playing style is pretty much metall stuff, mainly metallica, but u guys get the point. Not looking for awesome cleans, but good distortion and a good tone for solos. I've heard that the guitar is very versatile which is good.

Thing is, what is bad with the guitar? I've tried it quickly and I liked it a lot... What other guitar in that price range could be better? or is this guitar very good for the price? I could spend like 200 bucks more if that is needed to get a guitar that beats the crap of this one REALLY HARD, otherwise not.

Thx in advance UG people
when i played this at guitar center i wasnt t happy with it at the time lol

whats your budget and current amp?
Guitars:

1998 Squier Affinity Stratocaster

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

Money is just paper, but it affects people like poetry.
honestly if you really want a better sound then save it for a new amp, if you just want a new guitar and content with your amp knowing you won't get a big difference in sound then yeah the guitar is okay the edge III is rather hit and miss but it's a direct replacement for some high quality trems and also the new colours are rather hot.
so crappy that a new guitar won't make so much difference.... but what amp to get then, for a good metal sound?
A better guitar that suits your playing will sound better and be easier to play. You can always get a better amp next. It depends which you want more.
really want a better guitar, but is RG350mdx really worth it's price? or are there better metall guitars out there for the same price?
Yea, do it. I might even save up longer to buy that one instead of the other ibanez i was planning to buy. (see my sig)
So i won't really be dissapointed in buying it? just want to be sure my birthday won't suck ^^heard a lot of good stuff from it, only bad sides is the tremolo or the feel, but that's personal stuff, not guitar wise... so that ibanez owns the one from ur sig?
but im also a bit scared that, are there other guitars that are a LITTLE more expensive than this one and totally blows it?
Get a new guitar, you'll feel a lot better than you would with a new amp. If you do a lot of gigs then you're probably going to need some tone improvement, but if you don't gig much I wouldn't bother.

Something to consider though, that Laney isn't exactly going to 'bang' with a new guitar so, maybe a new amp is the better path.

If you're going to go for a new amp, I'm going to make a very common recommendation around UG...http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-112-Combo-Amp?sku=481442#new
Guitar wise, this may seem a little pricey, but it's really worth it if you want an Ibanez. The tremolo, is absolutely fantastic might I add. You're more than likely going to want a pickup change. Ibanez's don't come with good stock pickups normally, but it's not that necessary immediately after buying, it just sounds sooo much better with the right pickups, especially in the case of HSH. http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-S470DXQM-Electric-Guitar?sku=519933#new
FIGHT MY BRUTE!
Quote by Tackleberry
Only time Ive seen a true single coil in a chrome humbucker housing was chinese knock off where they claimed it was a humbucker but half the housing was empty.
Quote by pjuckazz
So i won't really be dissapointed in buying it? just want to be sure my birthday won't suck ^^heard a lot of good stuff from it, only bad sides is the tremolo or the feel, but that's personal stuff, not guitar wise... so that ibanez owns the one from ur sig?

Looks like it. I don't own any of those yet... But every one of those is better than my current guitar. You ain't felt nOOb until you walk into school to play with this.

That's fender STARCASTER, not stratocaster.

The action on it's horrible, it's like an eighth of an inch higher on the upper frets than it need to be. tried to adjust it, but if i lower it the first fret buzzes. it sucks...
Last edited by SlayingDragons at Jul 3, 2009,
Quote by TheJem
Get a new guitar, you'll feel a lot better than you would with a new amp. If you do a lot of gigs then you're probably going to need some tone improvement, but if you don't gig much I wouldn't bother.

Something to consider though, that Laney isn't exactly going to 'bang' with a new guitar so, maybe a new amp is the better path.

If you're going to go for a new amp, I'm going to make a very common recommendation around UG...http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-112-Combo-Amp?sku=481442#new
Guitar wise, this may seem a little pricey, but it's really worth it if you want an Ibanez. The tremolo, is absolutely fantastic might I add. You're more than likely going to want a pickup change. Ibanez's don't come with good stock pickups normally, but it's not that necessary immediately after buying, it just sounds sooo much better with the right pickups, especially in the case of HSH. http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-S470DXQM-Electric-Guitar?sku=519933#new

hmm are pickups hard to change? im not that guitar techie wise, but i could pay for it, but what pickups should i get ? thx in advance, i kinda liked the guitar, tested it for some seconds but it felt alright, and the tone zomg, but it was through a super amp:P that amp looks good, is it worth every dollar
I'd say don't get an Ibanez... I mean, they play okay I guess, but they've always seemed kind of generic to me... well, the JEM is okay, but the RGs....
Quote by CaptDin
I'd say don't get an Ibanez... I mean, they play okay I guess, but they've always seemed kind of generic to me... well, the JEM is okay, but the RGs....

generic? epiphone seems kinda generic too, don't you think?
how you mean generic man? crap im so damn nervous if i get the wrong guitar, don't know what to get crap, recommends pleasse
Quote by pjuckazz
how you mean generic man? crap im so damn nervous if i get the wrong guitar, don't know what to get crap, recommends pleasse

Generic as in used too much. I don't think it matterz, but, you know. I don't think you really can go wrong now, if you treid it and liked it, you should get it.

yeah dude, ur fine. Heres alittle comparison thing on guitar centar. couple guitars in budget. I think the one in my sig might be better than the one u choose!

Link/
Quote by SlayingDragons
Looks like it. I don't own any of those yet... But every one of those is better than my current guitar. You ain't felt nOOb until you walk into school to play with this.

That's fender STARCASTER, not stratocaster.

The action on it's horrible, it's like an eighth of an inch higher on the upper frets than it need to be. tried to adjust it, but if i lower it the first fret buzzes. it sucks...

NO. That is a Starcaster by Fender, NOT a Fender Starcaster. Fender Starcasters are badass.
darn dunno how to get that thing working XD any recomendations apart from slaying dragons? around the price range of the guitar i want...
Quote by stratman7
NO. That is a Starcaster by Fender, NOT a Fender Starcaster. Fender Starcasters are badass.

No their not. just, no. If you want a good fender, save a couple hundred more bucks to buy a standard stratocaster.
thing is, i tried but didn't know what other guitars to try... feels awkward to be alone and try guitars, but i just want like a list of 5-6 guitars to try, around same price range like this one and then try em all, but don't know what guitar models or other companies apart from ibanez, i just like them, they seem nice but want to know other possibilties
Quote by SlayingDragons
No their not. just, no. If you want a good fender, save a couple hundred more bucks to buy a standard stratocaster.

I respectfully disagree.
Quote by stratman7
I respectfully disagree.

Oh, those. that's what you meant. I don't think they make those anymore.

flippedit: yeah, the old starcasers are cool. I meant the modern strat starcaster.
i think im getting it, and with that amp recomendation, would it sound awesome :O??
Quote by pjuckazz
i think im getting it, and with that amp recomendation, would it sound awesome :O??

Peavy Vypyr is pretty amazing.

A Marshall MG is good if your playing Trivium but your going to need to make it work.

Whatever you do stay away from Line 6.
no stay away from the spiders and the MG they walk on the same road holding hands....
get a Vox AD series like a 15 watt one if your on a tight budget. You could get one less then a 100 on ebay so that leaves you enought money for a new guitar as well.
You need to go to the shop and try a few guitars in your price range. You will find suddenly one of the guitars is just the right one. Saves you bringing home one you are not so keen on.