I'm not very satisfied with the tone I'm getting from my guitar. I'm playing a Fender Mexican Strat through some random old Fender amp (sorry I can't be more specific, I bought it off of a friend and I really don't know the exact model/specs. It's non-tube though, I know that much). The distortion pedal that I have is a Boss Metal Zone pedal, which is NOT the sound I'm looking for at all (bought that cheaply from a friend as well ).

The tone I'm looking for (haters get ready) is pretty much exactly what Bold as Love sounds like from John Mayer's Where the Light is DVD.

Here's a link for that video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZa9Cy9dpD8

I'm a complete noob when it comes to the ins and outs of guitar equipment and I really don't know where to begin to improve my tone. What would make the biggest difference between a new pedal, new pickups, or a new amp? Money is also a factor unfortunately. I don't have a mound of cash to go out and buy a $1500+ amp so I'm really looking for the best balance of price/results.

Thanks for reading all of that, any advice would definitely be appreciated.
well we need a budget
Guitars:

1998 Squier Affinity Stratocaster

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

Money is just paper, but it affects people like poetry.
There's nothing wrong with his tone, anyone that says it's bad is just stupid and hating on him because he's popular.

I think any fender tube amp would be a big step up. I think they have a little 5w version which is like just under $300 you might want to look into.
Quote by Pac_man0123
There's nothing wrong with his tone, anyone that says it's bad is just stupid and hating on him because he's popular.

I think any fender tube amp would be a big step up. I think they have a little 5w version which is like just under $300 you might want to look into.

Ok thanks, I'll look into that.

By the way, I'm working with $500-$600 here.
try a new amp
\
thats a pretty good budget

i dont know which amp will give you that tone though
Guitars:

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

Your Stratocaster is fine. Definitely invest in a new amp though. Maybe a small tube Fender, a Crate V series or Palomino, maybe even a Valveking. Get an overdrive pedal, put it on the clean channel for a slight boost, and bam. John Mayer uses his $10,000 Two-Rock amps for that sound by the way.
i didnt even think of a fender hot rod

if you can find one with in your budget i would defiately buy it
Guitars:

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

you're mim strat should be decent enough. if i were you i'd sell that crappy metal zone and get the best possible amp you could. Probably a fender would get you the closest to what your looking for. Try a Fender Blues Jr. Make sure you get a tube amp and try and spend the most you can on it. Don't worry about a new guitar or pedals now, that guitar you have isn't bad at all and pedals can be bought later.
Yeah the Fender Hotrod would be great for you
Ibanez RGA 8 (Dimarzio D Activator 8)->Rocktron Hush->Engl E530 preamp->Marshall 9200 poweramp->Marshall 4x12 closed back cab w/ G12t75's
You can get that tone with a Fender amp. A Fender blues junior (tube). You can pick up a good used one for around $250, new one for about $500. But to get exactly what you want, take YOUR guitar (not using a store guitar) to a store and play through the amps. Take a recording of the tone and play it for the sales guy if your not sure ow to get the tone.
I'd say look for a used Traynor YCV40
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by livefreeordie
Ok thanks, I'll look into that.

By the way, I'm working with $500-$600 here.

Fender champ 600 and a set of smooth groove 62 pickups. If you have any money left over spend it on a tube screamer.
Not taking any online orders.