Been playing guitar for seven years, and with nothing to show for it, because I don't know how to practice... Sure I can bang out some powerchords and solos, but it sounds like crap.

I use guitar pro 5 by the way to learn songs.
Stop using Guitar Pro and start using BestPractice or Transcribe! to learn songs by ear.

Brush up your theory so you know about harmonising scales into chords, and you should be able to work out just about any song.
"Best Practice is a completely new concept in decision-support information.
It combines the latest research evidence from Clinical Evidence with peer reviewed expert opinion and guidelines. Structured around the patient consultation, it covers diagnosis, prognosis, treatment and prevention. Your instant second opinion."

Oh, lol.
Yep, check out some basic music theory. Another excercise that can help is to just jam along to some songs. Improv jams help so much with really getting familiar with the neck and realizing how certain scales and modes really fit into songs, plus it's just fun.

And I would definitely second blue strat's suggestion of learning songs by ear.
if you are stuck and really want to get better, spend a few hours sitting down and playing technical exercises. its not fun but you KNOW that it is making you a better player.
Plug in your amp, Plug in your iPod, and learn the songs with your ears...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by PnT
"Best Practice is a completely new concept in decision-support information.
It combines the latest research evidence from Clinical Evidence with peer reviewed expert opinion and guidelines. Structured around the patient consultation, it covers diagnosis, prognosis, treatment and prevention. Your instant second opinion."

Oh, lol.

Yeah, this one