hi
my band is in need of a PA. it must handle vocals and keyboards for band practice... but it would be nice if it was enough for gigs.
we're quite a quiet band...think Peavey Classic 30 at maybe fourth or third of its power.

i'm deciding between something like:
2x Mackie SRM 450 - active speakers. Specifications suggest 400W and 127dB peak SPL(2x400-130dB for a pair)
that should be quite enough. Price: a bit under 1000€.

OR

2x Tapco 6925 - passive speakers and Tapco J2500 - power amp.
speakers are said to handle 600W and have sensitivity of 102dB (1W/1m). Amp is supposed to put out 575W / 8 Ohm. I did some math...it should be 2x575W and 133dB peak SPL. Price: a bit more than 700€

please put in mind that Tapco is in fact a Mackie brand...so specifications shoudl be comperable-because they're both inflated in the same manner.

So specifications put them in the same league(3dB is quite small difference). The big difference being 300€ in price.

Is acrive technology that Mackie is advertising relly worth so much?
and..hence the passive speakers have 2x15 each... there would be a lot of bass... and thereforeno need for subwoofers for larger gigs?

and lastly... am I even in the right ballpark? cuz i don't have an idea how loud will any of them be... i just know that what we have now is not even remotly enough(2x200W amp + 2 crappy speakers-90dB sensitivity->together 116db but never acctualy measured it)

EDIT: changed topic title from "active vs passive PA"
Last edited by draljo at Jul 2, 2009,
I think the people in Guitar Gear and Accessories will be moar helpful than the pit.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
you should say "what should i" rather then vs because you could get reported and this is probably better off in the gear section.

Please people dont report this guy because reporter trolls suck