Ok, I'm going to purchase an amp suited for small gigs, looking around the 100 watt mark. I was going to get an MG100DFX, but I thought I'd get some advice first, and this seems like the right place to come
I would be looking to play Smashing Pumpkins/Biffly Clyro - esque stuff.
Bear in mind I'm on a tight budget (preferably under £400)

Any help?
Last edited by onebigfuse at Jul 2, 2009,
Yes look for less power! 100W is a little extreme for small gigs. Between 30 -50 W would do in its place and allow you to get a little more bang for your buck.
Moving on.....
I was looking at the Line6 Flextone 3, that's about 60 watts, is that a good choice?
Dude, don't get a MG, they suck bigtime
Quote by JeanMi36
Back when I was a teen, I was making out with this girl, when I had the bright idea of putting my hand inside her panties.

She had her period.

I'm scarred for life
Quote by Sumlover41
Dude, don't get a MG, they suck bigtime

Yeah, Im glad I had second thoughts
100W is more than you really need.
An MG is also definitely not what you need, they sound horrible, i rarely hear any good word said about them.

check out this sticky it's post number 7 you want, look at whats recommende in medium to high gain. Maybe the randall or the traynor?

This thread will probably be closed fairly soon though
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Last edited by doive at Jul 2, 2009,
Flextone III is a brilliant amp. The beauty with it, is that it doesn't matter how loud it is because it uses Solid State technology, which basically means that no matter what volume you use it at, it will sound exactly the same - unlike a valve/tube amp.

I think you could find a few "better" amps for Biffy and SP, though. Line 6 gear are great pieces of kit, but I would feel more comfortable suggesting a valve amp.
If you are gigging, a Peavey Classic 30 will be perfect. In fact, Biffy uses one. It A/B's it with another amp: a Marshall I think?
Last edited by AngryGoldfish at Jul 2, 2009,
A question about the Flextone, will it mean I have to faff about with settings and stuff for ages before playing? Because if that's the case, the Peavey seems like it would be less hassle.

EDIT: The Classic 30 is about £500, quite a lot more than I can spend.
Get the Classic 30 and a TS9 and you'll be good to go; you can add more FX down the line.
Gear:
Fender American Strat
Washburn Idol
Pitchblack > Cst OD > M5 > Flashback Tripple Delay > SIZE=1]Whirly Verb
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100
Marshall 1960AV
Quote by Mr. Kyle
Get the Classic 30 and a TS9 and you'll be good to go; you can add more FX down the line.

Can you recommend any good retailers, I can't spend very much.
Is the Classic 30 capable of High gain or would I need to get an OD pedal?

(what's a TS9?)
Peavey Classic 30
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Peavey-Classic-30-Guitar-Amp_W0QQitemZ200358525167QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL?hash=item2ea64c78ef&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1688|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Bang on your budget!

I wish people would stop using acronyms; not everyone understands them.

A TS9 is a type of tubescreamer that boosts both the signal and the valves running power (more gain, more tightness and more volume). this one being an Ibanez pedal.
http://www.thomann.de/ie/ibanez_ts9_tube_screamer.htm

edit (again!): The Peavey Classic won't do Death Metal, no. but it is a sweet choice for classic-metal and heavy, grungey rock. Adding a pedal to boost the signal means that the tone is tighter, more compressed and has more gain, which are the core elements of metal.
Last edited by AngryGoldfish at Jul 2, 2009,
Nice find Goldfish

Thanks everyone for the help

EDIT: To reply to Goldfish's edit, High gain is not that much of a neccessity anyway, I'm no metalhead. Well, not death metal anyway. Dimmu Borgir? No thanks