Page 1 of 2
I'd like to buy an epiphone for 300€, what is the best choice?
You are not giving use enough information.
Gigging?
Budget in US dollars?
Styles of Music?
Amps?
Other Guitars?
they all suck, so don't
I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.
dont
you can get similar style guitars that are better and cheaper
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
What kind of music do you like to play?
Epiphone has some really good guitars for the price, but why do you only want an epiphone?
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
I make fun of people playing an api. I'm sorry but buying one is a mistake!
I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.
Now I have a fender strat, but a friend of mine got an epiphone studio and I liked him more than my strat. So I want a guitar that plays like an epiphone.
I'd like to play indie-rock (like arctic monkeys, bloc party, blackbox revelation,...)
300€=+-420$
Vintage brand. Les Pauls, SG's, 335's and their own specials. Sounds like a V100 Les Paul would suit you best. Yes you will have to do some simple setup but that's the same with almost every brand these days. Epi's are certainly no exception. In fact, like some of the comments above, I have played most of their Les Paul and SG range and not found one I would want to play for fun, let alone gig with.
See the Vintage range at www.jhs.co.uk but buy elsewhere at a discount of up to 40%.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

haha so many Epiphone haters... Epiphone was first made famous by The Beatles who preferred them over Gibsons, but I guess the build quality has dropped since then too.

Swap out the pickups when u get it and you'll have yourself a solid guitar
Last edited by AxSilentxLine at Jul 2, 2009,
I don't need an epiphone, but I want an epiphone like guitar priced about 350$. and gibsons are too expensive. If you can recommend other good epiphone-like guitars ...
Quote by Lord Waltaa
they all suck, so don't

not really just the low end epiphones tend to suck way more then those priced similarly
if epiphones are that bad, what should I buy to get a similar to an epiphone
Quote by gloeg
if epiphones are that bad, what should I buy to get a similar to an epiphone

vintage (guitar brand not style), tokai, edwards (may be out of your budget)
Just get an Epiphone and be done with it lol it is what you want afterall

The musician makes the guitar the guitar doesn't make the musician it doesn't matter if it's $200 or $2000 as long as you don't go for some whacked out shape or gimmicky guitar you'll be fine
Vintage are NOT outside your stated price range. Even the Lemon Drop from JHS is £399 but sells between £250 and £300 in the shops. You stated 250 to 300 euro then dollars. Do you know what currency you have?
Actually, go and get an Epi LP Special for £150 but don't say we didn't warn you.
Just like Yesterday

Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

according to google 300€=420$
but when I buy it in america i have to pay the shippings
Quote by gloeg
according to google 300€=420$
but when I buy it in america i have to pay the shippings

wait you're buying the guitar from america and shipping it to you?
If you are in America why did you start off talking in Euros?
But go get an Agile from Rondo music. I wish we had them in Europe but we don't. We have Vintage instead.
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/14142-vintage-v100-wine-red-les-paul-deluxe-style-.html

http://www.rondomusic.com/al2000hsbf.html
http://www.rondomusic.com/product1656.html
Just like Yesterday

Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

No, I will buy my guitar at thomann in germany. I bought all my stuff there. never had any troubles with it
Then you'll pay top price for an Epi that is unchecked since it left the factory. Thomann don't sell Vintage as there is not enough profit in them and their prices clash with their house brand. Work it out. At best you will also have to pay for a proper setup then put decent pups in.
Just like Yesterday

Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

dealers should give away free epi's for every gibson they buy, that way we can mess it up and learn something about guitars!
Quote by Lord Waltaa
I make fun of people playing an api. I'm sorry but buying one is a mistake!

Wow Elitist much? You're either rich and you have real gibbys or your 13 and own an ibey and are just jumping on to the "if I say epiphones are **** it makes me cool" bandwagon. You mske fun of someone because they want a Gibson shaped guitar but cant afford the $2000+ for a good gibby?
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Let me put it this way..

High end Epiphone > Low end Gibson

Low end Epiphone < Any guitar invented, not including First Act and Squier.

Epiphones do make good starting guitars. The Special pack II is alright for a new guitarist, only costs... what? $250?
Last edited by Gh057 at Jul 2, 2009,
Quote by VanTheKraut
Wow Elitist much? You're either rich and you have real gibbys or your 13 and own an ibey and are just jumping on to the "if I say epiphones are **** it makes me cool" bandwagon. You mske fun of someone because they want a Gibson shaped guitar but cant afford the $2000+ for a good gibby?

Get off my back, fool, there are lots of quality guitars that go for about 300$ or more, I just hate epi because:
1. The head and body look aweful
2. It doesn't sound like a real gibson at all
3. name it

I own 2 gibson les pauls, 3 fenders, 1 fender bass, 1 Shergold doubleneck, 1 Steinberger, 1 peavey bass 5string

If you want to call me an elitist, shoot! I've played the epi's too, they're crap, and every musician who respects himself will make fun of you if you buy one. It's just like Fender and Suirer or whataver the hell it's called.

Here's what I would do: save up some more cash and get a decent guitar
It's Squier!! darn you people youcant even tspelll that right...
now when it comes to the Epi vs Gibsons...
i hear all the same ****... damn they say like... Valveking is good but it doesnt sound much like JCM 800 or whatever... damn that's a valveking not a jcm... you got it?? it's another thing.. made to have different souhnd.. why do you go and buy VK and expect it to sound l,ike a JCM???

same with Gibson or Epi.. you buy Epi not a gibson.. so it soinds like Epi.... and they (some good ones) are pretty well made and better than those cheap gibson models
Quote by vigenharutyunya
It's Squier!! darn you people youcant even tspelll that right...
now when it comes to the Epi vs Gibsons...
i hear all the same ****... damn they say like... Valveking is good but it doesnt sound much like JCM 800 or whatever... damn that's a valveking not a jcm... you got it?? it's another thing.. made to have different souhnd.. why do you go and buy VK and expect it to sound l,ike a JCM???

same with Gibson or Epi.. you buy Epi not a gibson.. so it soinds like Epi.... and they (some good ones) are pretty well made and better than those cheap gibson models

Happy? I edited it. It was a typo. I'm a but more knowledgeable than to spell that wrong intentionally.

Christ.

Squier guitars still suck.
Quote by Lord Waltaa
Get off my back, fool, there are lots of quality guitars that go for about 300$ or more, I just hate epi because:
1. The head and body look aweful
2. It doesn't sound like a real gibson at all
3. name it

I own 2 gibson les pauls, 3 fenders, 1 fender bass, 1 Shergold doubleneck, 1 Steinberger, 1 peavey bass 5string

If you want to call me an elitist, shoot! I've played the epi's too, they're crap, and every musician who respects himself will make fun of you if you buy one. It's just like Fender and Suirer or whataver the hell it's called.

Here's what I would do: save up some more cash and get a decent guitar

Was I just called a fool? Mr. T?
Oh really because on your profile it says you have "Fender: Strat" You dont even specify what kind of strat.
They're crap? What did you play? Theres a huge difference between the $150 explorer and the Epiphone Elitist Les Paul.
Every Musician who respects themselves? I respect myself probably more than I should, I dont make fun of a guitarist I see who owns an epiphone. They're just as good as their skills, not their guitars, You can own every guitar in the world and still be an egotistical asshole Or you can own a squier bullet and be so good you're the next Hendrix/ Iommi/ Young
I already got a decent guitar, see sig.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

I have an Epiphone G-400 66 reissue, and it is amazing. I got it for $300, and I actually like it better than my friend's tele, and the Ibanez RG that I had awhile ago. The pickups are not great, but that is an easy fix. Other than that, it is a two piece solid mahogany body, great neck contour, grover tuners, and overall great feeling and looking. if it wasn't for the headstock, you would not be able to tell the difference between that and a Gibson (if you don't believe me, I will post pics and you can try to tell the difference). Epiphones are by no means Gibsons, but you are very safe buying a higher end Epiphone if you play it first. The Dots are great (especially the studios) and so are the Les Pauls (froma standard up) I would avoid any of the special versions or G-310's though, they really do suck.
Epiphones are great guitars and they sound just about as good as Gibsons.

They play just about as well also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqxsm6w7m5o&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7o7iv0veTk&feature=channel_page

To the OP I highly recommend an Epiphone Les Paul Standard or an Epiphone DOT.

If you can play before you buy that would be great...... but if you have to order it....... don't worry, you can always send it back if you're not happy with it.

Quote by dcooper830
Epiphones are great guitars and they sound just about as good as Gibsons.

They play just about as well also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqxsm6w7m5o&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7o7iv0veTk&feature=channel_page

To the OP I highly recommend an Epiphone Les Paul Standard or an Epiphone DOT.

If you can play before you buy that would be great...... but if you have to order it....... don't worry, you can always send it back if you're not happy with it.

Wrong.

They play nothing like their high end brethren, and their sound is TOTALLY off.
Quote by Gh057
Wrong.

I agree but what would you expect? They're thousands of dollars cheaper.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie

Quote by Gh057
Wrong.

Did you not watch the video? The sound is very similar. If you put in Gibson pickups to that Les Paul it would be virtually impossible to tell the difference. When you spend $400 for a New Epi Les Paul, and $2000 for a Gibson, there is bound to be some stock differences, but for a little bit of cash, you can make them sound basically the same.
Ibanez!

But if you got an epi, they're quality is a hit or miss. if I had to get on in ur price range, I'd probably be This, an Epiphone G-400 SG. (copy, pasto!)
Last edited by SlayingDragons at Jul 3, 2009,
Quote by Rhoads_1096
Budget in US dollars?

USD is useless information if the person isn't in the US. Especially if they're from an equally 'developed' place. Continental Europeans, Brits, Canadians, Australians, New Zealanders don't buy stuff in USD and don't think about money in USD.
And when you consider the fact that stuff, especially luxury items, is more expensive in some countries then the US, trying to suggest gear to non-Americans based on their budget in USD is pretty much useless.

The Americentrism of some posters here is mindboggling at times.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Last edited by STABxYOU at Jul 3, 2009,
^ WinwinwinwinwinwinwinwinwinwinwinwinwinwinwinwinwinwinWIN!
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie

Page 1 of 2