Hi guys,

I'm going to purchase a Les Paul Standard Epi, thing is, I don't want to take the leap before I know what manufacurers are good, reliable and don't do a half assed job.

I found this:

The manufacturer can usually be identified from the letters at the head of the serial number as below.
[though there are one or two anomolies which don't fit].
The list only applies to "standard" range models and does not cover the Elitist or Japanese production which have different ID markings and other means of identification ]

DW = DaeWon (China)
EA = Gibson/QuingDao (China) Acoustics
EE = Gibson/QuingDao (China) Electrics
MC = Muse (China)
SJ = SaeJung (China)
I = Saein [Often referred to as "shine" ] (Korea)
R = Peerless (Korea)
S = Samick (Korea)
U = Unsung (Korea)
B = Bohêmia Musico-Delicia (Czech Republic)
F = Fine Guitars Plant, Korea

If anyone can guide me in the right direction I'd be very happy. But I guarantee that the model I'm looking at won't be mentioned! It's what we like to call in the U.K. "Sod's Law!".

Many thanks for your help,
Jonathan
I don't think it matters much. Just go to a guitar store and pick one up if you can. If you can't, order from MF or something and send it back if its crappy.

Usually a good setup can fix most out of the box problems. However, if its something major out of the box like a truss rod adjustment or something like that, you may want to send it back.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
Ok, well I've been playing for 12 years now, with a three year hiatus before June 2009, but I'm not confident I'll know how to identify truss rod problems etc. Any advice?

I've got a good guy that will do a service for me if I need it, but I just want to be sure y'know.

Thanks for the quick response BTW.
shouldn't matter much, though korean made guitars are usually better quality.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
It isn't much of a leap to be honest.
They're solid guitars. If you can go to the nearest Guitar Center, Sam Ash, etc. and keep asking them to bring you a new one until you find one you like. They'll help you out gladly because you're actually purchasing something instead of just playing Sweet Child o' Mine in the wrong key like everyone else in the building.
I want Super Saiyan abilities
i heard korean are the best , but is can just be a rumor
Höhner llx100g
Gibson explorer
crappy stagg acoustic
Roland dac80d
marshall jcm 900 sl-x 2500
marshall 1960A
ehx metal-muff
jimmy hendrix wah
Quote by SOADriff
shouldn't matter much, though korean made guitars are usually better quality.

Yeah that's what I thought, cheers.

Quote by rebelmidget
It isn't much of a leap to be honest.
They're solid guitars. If you can go to the nearest Guitar Center, Sam Ash, etc. and keep asking them to bring you a new one until you find one you like. They'll help you out gladly because you're actually purchasing something instead of just playing Sweet Child o' Mine in the wrong key like everyone else in the building.

Well, I know exactly what I want, but the one in the shop doesn't have the right wood grain for my tastes. Because it's a trans sunburst the woodgrain comes through beautifully, but for some reason, one half of the maple top has lost it's grain completely. Looking at other sources on the web, there are some nice tops out there where the grain is perfect, so it's just a matter of waiting for the perfect one for me as you say.

Call me picky but it's my money innit!
Epi's don't have tops. They have veneer. Good luck if you like that sort of thing.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Lurcher
Epi's don't have tops. They have veneer. Good luck if you like that sort of thing.

Veneer!? the guy in the shop said it was maple top with solid mahogony body. But that's salesmen for you innit! Ok second thoughts are creeping in now!

That a hint of doubt I hear in your tone!?! Is there something you wanna share about epi's before I blow nearl £400 on one!
At that price it should be a mahogany body with a maple top and a quilted or flamed maple veneer.

If i'm not mistaken, the price of the model will generally reflect what factory it was made in, so i don't think you have to worry. Besides, as long as you think it sounds and feels good, who gives a crap?
Agreed! Thanks for the help, it's very much appreciated. If and when I take the plunge, I'll post pictures of my new found axe!
Quote by jonthomas83
Agreed! Thanks for the help, it's very much appreciated. If and when I take the plunge, I'll post pictures of my new found axe!

You better, because as the fairly new saying goes: "Pics or it's a Devries custom!"

Quote by Pac_man0123
You better, because as the fairly new saying goes: "Pics or it's a Devries custom!"

hey man devries custom are good and they can defy the physics of i think it was getting 600watt from a 300watt amp by having it in stereo or something to do with his power amp being solid state and **** and it being the greatest metal amp in the world. oh and it's a randall g2 rh300 i think
Quote by Pac_man0123

lol cheers!
Quote by azn_guitarist25
hey man devries custom are good and they can defy the physics of i think it was getting 600watt from a 300watt amp by having it in stereo or something to do with his power amp being solid state and **** and it being the greatest metal amp in the world. oh and it's a randall g2 rh300 i think

"It's not the recommended amp, though, it's only a Diezel."
The OP question only has one answer: all the Epis are made in the same place now, so you have no choice, it's China (EE) all the way.

Though if you look on the used market, some of the older Korean models still turn up from time to time, try those.

Quote by Lurcher
Epi's do have full maple tops. However on Plus Top models they get a flame maple veneer over the rock maple top (compared to a full flame maple top as used on Gibsons). Quilt Tops are the same deal, rock maple cap with a quilt veneer. Plain Tops are solid rock maple throughout, the only difference between Plain Top and Standard is just the Plain Top is what it's called when it has a transparent or dye finish while it's just a Standard when it has a solid finish.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.