Hi U-G community!

You must be sick of these posts but I need some solid, real world advice on what guitar to get as my first.

I've seen equally good and bad reviews for packages like the Encore E6 Blaster package and the Squier Afinnity Strat packages...

In your experience, what do people find the best quality guitar for a beginner. My price range is £250 max. The kind of stuff I want to play are songs from The Killers, Muse, Red Hot Chillis.... a bit of a variation.

Your help is much appreciated!
Don't bother getting a pack. Instead, get a roland minicube, and find a nice guitar to go with it. If you tell the salesman that this is your first guitar he might give you the stuff you need. If not, buy them yourself.
Get a roland mini cube and a squier strat. best value.
“Baaaaabe,baaaaabe,baaaabe....”
~ Robert plant on being asked what his favorite food was

~ Robert Plant at his Grammy acceptance speech

~ Robert Plant all the time
I wouldn't really recommend a package either because they usually cheap out on the guitar and the amp. If you buy separately, you can get the guitar that feels the best to you and have a decent starter amp.

Amps i'd recommend are the Peavey Vypyr 15, Roland Cube, and Vox AD5 or whatever their little one is.
What you need is the following to get you started.

Guitar
Amp
Guitar Picks
Guitar lead
Guitar tuner

For the amp buy a Roland Microcube and for the guitar see what is available for about £150. Unfortunately due to the exchange rate changes recently guitar prices have been increasing recently. Then that leaves you enough for the rest of the bits you will need.
Peavey Vypyr 30 and a Squier Vintage Modified Tele or Strat. You might have to look used for the guitar, but I've seen it for under $300 or 180GBP on Ebay.
Strats & Seagulls
Quote by xxBR34KD0WN
Peavey Vypyr 30 and a Squier Vintage Modified Tele or Strat. You might have to look used for the guitar, but I've seen it for under $300 or 180GBP on Ebay.

everything in america is cheaper so in britain that will bee more lik £275
Quote by britishsligean
everything in america is cheaper so in britain that will bee more lik £275

http://www.google.co.uk/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&channel=s&hl=en&q=300usd+to+gbp&meta=&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=

$300 = £183
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by SecretAgentS
Don't bother getting a pack. Instead, get a roland minicube, and find a nice guitar to go with it. If you tell the salesman that this is your first guitar he might give you the stuff you need. If not, buy them yourself.

^this and a used guitar. If you look around a bit you'll find something alot better quality then you could have gotten new for the same price.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
What you need:
Electric Guitar- Try it out. Try it out, try it out. Can't stress enough. Harmony-Central.com is a good guide to gauge what other people's experience with the guitar is like. But go to any local shops and try some out in your range. Sometimes you may stumble upon a gem. As far as humbuckers versus single coil, if you're wondering, single coil tones wont be as thick or sometimes, depending on the output, "bite" as humbuckers will...

Guitar Amp- Again, try them out, but don't listen to salesman/ everyone on UG. Salesman= Spider III, UG= Microcube, which you just might not like. So, try them out, and say for yourself as far as the sound you want and the bands you like

Guitar Strap- any will really do

Guitar Cable- again, any will really do.
Yeah, the Epi LP 100 was one of the best of the terrible bunch of Epi's I tried a couple of weeks ago. Don't rule out a Vintage brand LP as they are more classically styled and many shops have them under £200.
If you prefer a Stratocaster style, the Yamaha Pacifica range is good, or for modern styling I'd strongly suggest looking at a Cort X2. They play so nicely.
I'll endorse either the Roland Microcube or the Roland Cube 15x which has decent tones for playing the metal stuff as well as the heavier rock. Clean sounds are nice too, for blues and jazz.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

here's my opinion, for what it's worth: A Fender Squier is a damn good choice for someone just beginning to play. Just make sure you get one that didn't slip by quality control on a Friday. Monday, or day after any drunken holiday. You can get a good used one for as little as $100 USD. Set it up right and you have a pretty serviceable rig. You can decide to upgrade it or replace it as you progress.

I would also suggest any small hybrid amp with some on board effects, but stick to the Roland, Vox, Marshall, Fender, etc brand. The little guys are not gig-worthy (on their own at least) but will serve the purpose unitl you are ready to jam with other players.

But a good rule of thumb is to the most gear you can for the least amount of money. This doesn't mean a whole lotta stuff, but rather versatile stuff.
Quote by Lurcher
Yeah, the Epi LP 100 was one of the best of the terrible bunch of Epi's I tried a couple of weeks ago. Don't rule out a Vintage brand LP as they are more classically styled and many shops have them under £200.
If you prefer a Stratocaster style, the Yamaha Pacifica range is good, or for modern styling I'd strongly suggest looking at a Cort X2. They play so nicely.
I'll endorse either the Roland Microcube or the Roland Cube 15x which has decent tones for playing the metal stuff as well as the heavier rock. Clean sounds are nice too, for blues and jazz.

i was thinkiing of his budget and trying to steer him away from the affinity tele.

yep the pacifica is a good begginner guitar.