I took clarinet in 6th grade and then quit. I decided to start playing again, and I signed up for beginning band this year (my senior year). What will it be like? Will I just learn notes and stuff, or do you all think it will be beneficial?

I play piano (lessons) and I can read music for both guitar and piano. I'm hoping it'll be an easy class (all of my others will be quite tough) but will get me re interested in the clarinet.
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.
Also, I was thinking of joining jazz band (it's an after school thing) for guitar...is this fun?

A lot of people will tell you after-school music clubs are for fat cunts who aren't any good/serious about music but hey, that's how I started out and I ended up getting really into music. And let's face it when you're young you don't have your own contacts or anything and atleast you get to play in school productions etc.
band is a good idea. It'll let you get more expeirience in music. I play cornet in the schools brass band, and it can be quite fun. we are going to Italy this year.
Also, Jazz band is good, as long as its a serious jazz band. Our jazz band died on its arse.
My name is Vikki. Use it

We took the last train
Out of the city
To plan our great escape
In my school anyone who takes music class can join the band, and you have to have a special invitation by the music teacher to join jazz band. I got that invitation, and the only reason I declined to join and and jazz is because I like going home and doing nothing after school opposed to doing something. This is why I never joined any after school clubs.

If I didn't live a 2 hour walk away from the school I definitely would have. It's fun. I play Tenor Sax.
Beginning band is gonna suck. You will be surrounded be Freshmen (Or if you go to a school like mine, 7th graders) That cannot play to save their lives( Granted they are learning, I know) And you won't learn anything. You will appreciate jazz Band much more.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Quote by itchy guitar
Beginning band is gonna suck. You will be surrounded be Freshmen (Or if you go to a school like mine, 7th graders) That cannot play to save their lives( Granted they are learning, I know) And you won't learn anything. You will appreciate jazz Band much more.

i agree. Thats gonna be your only drawback. Because when i played second cornet, they put this boy who COULD NOT play beside me, and he would blame me for all of the mistakes.
But you'd be best to go into both. It should be a good expeirience.
My name is Vikki. Use it

We took the last train
Out of the city
To plan our great escape
well since you are new you will likely get a clarinet shoved up your ass by a bunch of rowdy freshman,

im gonna laugh so hard...

i mean they will
Quote by yo_peh
i love you!
have cookie

Quote by RocksAwakening5
^^^ So much win, omg.
Quote by homeless-john
I play the mutha' ****in' trombone

serious? Ive always wanted to play the trombone! But they made me play cornet instead.......oh well i get to play f'awesome solos
My name is Vikki. Use it

We took the last train
Out of the city
To plan our great escape
I don't know about you, but I never liked band music. Try out for symphonic orchestra instead or jazz band, although clarinet in jazz bands are still not as common.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by homeless-john
I play the mutha' ****in' trombone

ive played the trombone for 7 years, its no joke its a bitch to learn
Quote by yo_peh
i love you!
have cookie

Quote by RocksAwakening5
^^^ So much win, omg.
Yeah, that's the only thing...about the freshmen, lol
We don't have an orchestra, and the band teacher knows I play piano so hopefully that will be beneficial.