ok, next year i need to play 2 songs for the performance part of my AS level. these songs need to interlink somehow and ive decided im going with instrumentals within heavy metal. they also need to contrast one another slightly so ive decided im going to play one classic metal instrumental( pre 85) and one modern one (+00).

for the modern one ive decided to play Before the Storm by firewind as Gus G is one of my favourite guitarists. but i dont know what to play as the classic metal option. any thoughts? (oh and they need to be no longer than 8 mins)
Quote by webbtje
I'm trying to dissuade him from doing anything that has anything to do with Gus G.

haha why? i think the guy has class! ^^

and i thought about doing losfer words but it didnt feel like it would fit with the other song, being mainly a band thing rather than a guitar piece
Last edited by mattwest92 at Jul 2, 2009,
Quote by mattwest92
haha why? i think the guy has class! ^^

and i thought about doing losfer words but it didnt feel like it would fit with the other song, being mainly a band thing rather than a guitar piece

Without sounding Cheeky, how good are you at the guitar?
If you want to get brave, try some Yngwie. He's got a lot of wicked tunes like Black Star, Trilogy Suite Op. 5, Far Beyond The Sun...
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
Quote by AnnihiSlateR
Without sounding Cheeky, how good are you at the guitar?

i would say im fairly competent (a higher standard intermediate), i can cope with most techniques, altho i cant handle the really massive sweeps yet )
both are good options. crushing day is a favourite of mine and altho it was 87 i could get away with just saying 80's:P black star is also great tho ive never attempted any yngwie before. thanks for the help guys!
for my one of these i played selkies by between. the examiner didn't seem to keen haha but i think it works quite well as a solo piece

are you allowed a backing track?
Check out my band! The Afterparty on Facebook
How strict is it with pre '85? Orion clocks at 8:27, but the bass fade in is so damn long you'd get away with cutting it out, haha Being challenging enough is a different story though...
well selkies clocks in at 7:23 so i'd definitely recommend that for your post 2000 piece cause it demonstrates lots of different skills - odd meters, key changes, alternate picking, sweep picking, sweep tapping, lead and rhythm playing, chuggy stuff, acoustic-style chordy stuff- it really shows off a lot of skills that this type of examiner will be looking at (I take it this is the sort of course where a lot of other people will be doing their performances on violins and flutes etc?) although it isnt really an instrumental per se.
Quote by anacrucix
well selkies clocks in at 7:23 so i'd definitely recommend that for your post 2000 piece cause it demonstrates lots of different skills - odd meters, key changes, alternate picking, sweep picking, sweep tapping, lead and rhythm playing, chuggy stuff, acoustic-style chordy stuff- it really shows off a lot of skills that this type of examiner will be looking at (I take it this is the sort of course where a lot of other people will be doing their performances on violins and flutes etc?) although it isnt really an instrumental per se.

yes i think the other people in the group are piano'ists, vocalists and brass players. im the only guitarist so thats a pretty good point
well bearing in mind your going to be compared against classical musicians (as much as your teachers will protest and say the examiner won't be prejudiced!), i'd be careful playing a metal piece, when i performed selkies i probably played about 6 notes wrong, and i got like 50%- even though the piece ticked all the boxes in terms of technique (i'd say it's easily grade 8 standard or above). The truth is the examiner they use will likely be a classical instrumentalist (I ended up with an organist with a Bach fetish) and so if your playing metal, it will be well out of his comfort zone.

Basically I had a place on the number one course for sound production in the UK, and i pissed it away by playing metal to an examiner who was having none of it- had i played some jazz standards or something i'd probably be there now instead.

I take it the performance won't be until january or march, so you've got plenty of time to get practicing, but I'd strongly recommend you get an RGT teacher if you don't have one who'll be able to help you choose some pieces that showcase your technique without alienating the examiner- I'd hate to imagine someone else putting the amount of effort I put in to be cut down by someone elses prejudice.

just to confirm- this is A/S Music we are talking about- your gonna be studying mostly classical music and writing bach chorales etc etc?
Make a medley out of Sabbath's Embryo, Gojira's Unicorn, which segues into Manowar's Warriors Of The World, whereupon you will do the usual widdly fancy improvised solo, and end with Baroness' Teeth Of A Cogwheel.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
well I can't really suggest any 85 or before that is actual metal but if shred's allowed...

Paul gilbert - Scarified (87, yeahyeah I know, this song gives most people a run for their money though)
Paul Gilbert - YRO

but, this one is quite the metal (if you can cope....)

CACOPHONY! (but again, Speed Metal Symphony was released in 87)
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Coroner - Nosferatu

Not pre-'85 ('87), but you can get away with it.
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
maybe you could do orion metallica , that came out 85 or if you dont mind the shortness and want classic , black sabbath embryo