Page 1 of 3
Ever chipped the paint on your brand new guitar? Ever broken a headstock whilst jumping around on stage? Hell, ever taken your eyes off the road for a second whilst driving, causing your car to crash into a warehouse full of propane gas cylinders causing the cylinders to erupt into a furious firey fireball of doom, thus engulfing the adjacent guitar filled warehouse within said firey fireball of doom and causing the known universe to implode in upon itself?

Whatever your guitar accident may be, I'm bored and I want to hear about it! Be it funny or just plain sad and depressing, feel free to share.

I'll start with a couple of little ones.

1) I dropped my Jackson DK2M not to long ago whilst just practicing, sitting down in my room. Wasn't wearing the strap so it just slipped when I went to move a lil and bam, hit the floor. Binding came off like half the headstock. Glued it back on, no biggy, all good now. Moral of the story, ALWAYS USE THE STRAP!

2) Last week at a jam with my band, the other guitarist in the band knelt down over his pedal board to adjust some stuff, when he stood up his hands werent holding his guitar (Gibson LP Studio in White) due to confidence in his schaller style straplocks. His guitar plummeted straight to the ground randomly, headstock first. The G string tuning peg snapped to pieces, and he was left with a huge dent in the headstock. Turns out one of the straplocks came loose as they do from time to time and he hadnt bothered to adjust it...

He was pretty fortunate the headstock didnt just snap off being a gibby LP and all tho, now he's w8ing for a whole new set of tuning pegs to arrive because you cant buy them in singles to my knowledge.

Anyways, hit me up with your "Worst Guitar Accidents"!
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Last edited by James13v at Jul 3, 2009,
dropped my strat on the basement floor once, took the paint off the floor
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by mikeyElite
dropped my strat on the basement floor once, took the paint off the floor

Lol, that's one of the reasons my next guitar with probs be a strat. If you drop a pointy metal guitar on one of it's pointy parts, all the weight's on the that one tip and snap, it's got no chance. Looking badass makes up for it in my book mostly tho
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Putting a trem spring in with needle-nose pliers at like 2am in my brand new (used) RG7620. Slipped and the whole thing blew up on me and when the dust settled (there really was none) i was left with a loose spring in the trem cavity and a nice gouge on the back of the guitar.
I've had three ....

1) Jackson Charvel - when I was posted to CFS Alert (near North Pole) the guitar and everyone else's luggage from the Hercules aircraft remained on the tarmac long enough to freeze. This caused some wood deformeation that showed under the finish.

2) Fender American Stratocaster Deluxe (Fender Lace Gold PUs, Wilkson Tremolo and Roller nut w/ Schaller locking tuners and hipshot tremsetter) - Moved from Ottawa to Calgary and person items left in shipping container (guitar in case included) in sub-zero temperatures and again Guitar froze. Ripples from wood deformation showed thru the lovely black finish.

3) Same Fender American Strat - left it on guitar stand and one day it magically grew a divet in the body near the forearm contour that actually knocked out a chunk of finish showing bare wood. This one was my fault for not storing my guitar in its case which I always do now!
Moving on.....
Quote by James13v
2) Last week at a jam with my band, the other guitarist in the band knelt down over his pedal board to adjust some stuff, whe he stood up his hands werent holding his guitar (Gibson LP Studio in White) due to confidence in his schaller style straplocks. His guitar plummeted straight to the ground randomly, headstock first. The G string tuning peg snapped to pieces, and he was left with a huge dent in the headstock. Turns out one of the straplocks came loose as they do from time to time and he hadnt bothered to adjust it...

did your other guitarist change the strap screw as well? i've found with the schaller one's that they always get loose and generally use their strap locking system but keep the original strap screw.
I was getting ready to leave for band practice, and I had my pedal board in my hand. I went to put it in my back pack, it slipped out of my hand, and snapped the toggle switch on my Ibanez. It still worked, I just had to use my pick to switch pick ups.
Quote by paranoideyes
introduce her to the back of your hand.
Quote by saphrax
Remember kids.
Backhand = Discipline
Palm hand = Abuse

Quote by KenG
I've had three ....

1) Jackson Charvel - when I was posted to CFS Alert (near North Pole) the guitar and everyone else's luggage from the Hercules aircraft remained on the tarmac long enough to freeze. This caused some wood deformeation that showed under the finish.

2) Fender American Stratocaster Deluxe (Fender Lace Gold PUs, Wilkson Tremolo and Roller nut w/ Schaller locking tuners and hipshot tremsetter) - Moved from Ottawa to Calgary and person items left in shipping container (guitar in case included) in sub-zero temperatures and again Guitar froze. Ripples from wood deformation showed thru the lovely black finish.

3) Same Fender American Strat - left it on guitar stand and one day it magically grew a divet in the body near the forearm contour that actually knocked out a chunk of finish showing bare wood. This one was my fault for not storing my guitar in its case which I always do now!

Time to invest in a heavily insulated guitar case maybe lol? If you travel again that is. Do they even make cases able to withstand those temps?
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Quote by azn_guitarist25
did your other guitarist change the strap screw as well? i've found with the schaller one's that they always get loose and generally use their strap locking system but keep the original strap screw.

Not sure, I would say so, I'll ask him at the jam 2moro and see if it's any further support to ur theory there.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
I generally take good care of my guitars but sometimes accidents happen..

especially with front-mounted jack sockets. many i placed my guitar on a stand after having the jack lead wrapped around the strap to prevent it from falling out if it gets tripped over or something. then i somehow manage to hook my foot through the loop it creates in the cable sticking out of the front of the guitar, managing to pull the guitar off the stand. Luckily this has only happened to my solid reliable fenders and none with fragile headstocks.

also i often accidentally smack my guitar against various cymbals from the drum kit on a small stage where i have to be pushed back into a corner due to my large pedalboard. luckily only rarely has any damage been done, although some of my guitars have dents in the headstocks from the ride cymbal (such as my epiphone sheraton..)

my dad's rickenbacker 4001 bass also had a marshall JCM800 full stack fall on it in the '80s apparently. but it barely even got a scratch. lucky really.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
First guitar i had a Strat copy . had no idea what i was doing .. i wanted to play some heavy **** soo! .. i got a set of 12 - 56 and strung her up anyway started to tune it didnt realise the tension was pulling the bridge up next thing i hear crack .. creek .. then BANG! the bridge pulled right out of the body flew past my head at 500mph and went into the bedroom wall ....
Caparison Angelus HGS, EMG 85/85 18V | Krank Rev1, JJ's | Mesa Recto Cab | Maxon OD808
Quote by Dellinger1988
First guitar i had a Strat copy . had no idea what i was doing .. i wanted to play some heavy **** soo! .. i got a set of 12 - 56 and strung her up anyway started to tune it didnt realise the tension was pulling the bridge up next thing i hear crack .. creek .. then BANG! the bridge pulled right out of the body flew past my head at 500mph and went into the bedroom wall ....

lol, epic.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Quote by Dellinger1988

But, my worst guitar accident was buying a starter pack silvertone.
Quote by MicahChaney

But, my worst guitar accident was buying a starter pack silvertone.

Yeah thats allmost as bad as my accident .. awful
Caparison Angelus HGS, EMG 85/85 18V | Krank Rev1, JJ's | Mesa Recto Cab | Maxon OD808
well one time i sneezed on my schecter

Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
My strap fell off my Strat, guitar hits the ground... no damage to the buttons (fortunately) but there's a HUGE chip in the paint right beside the bottom button, which is totally unseeable when one is wearing the strap.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Gigging the day after I got my Yamaha, I did a twirl onstage and caught the headstock on the side of the stack. The pointy bit came off but it stayed in tune and I finished the night with it. I quite like the revised design so that's how its been these last 25 years.
Most scary was seeing my '74 Les Paul tumbling down the stairs. It was fine. There's a moral in that story.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

On my RG I was sitting infront of my computer desk and the guitar fell face forward towards the desk and chipped the paint off contour where your arm goes. GAY!
Ibanez.
I was playing my alden reso (hollow body) in the morning, just after getting dressed, and I some how managed to spear the body with my belt buckle (the bit which goes through the holes) which hadn't been done up, and now I have a gouge in the back which has been covered by a strip of selotape...
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Quote by Hereiwas
I was playing my alden reso (hollow body) in the morning, just after getting dressed, and I some how managed to spear the body with my belt buckle (the bit which goes through the holes) which hadn't been done up, and now I have a gouge in the back which has been covered by a strip of selotape...

Haha bad luck
Nothing too crazy with my guitars besides a few dings and scratches but I had a friend at Berklee that had a lot of VERY expensive guitars. One day he decided he wanted to practice throwing the guitar around his back in a loop (think Iron Maiden) and instead of using his cheap Squier strat, he used his Parker. Sure enough, as he was spinning it up and over his shoulder, the strap snapped and the guitar went full force, headstock first into the ground at an angle. He walked into my room from across the hall with the neck in one hand and the body in the other. I'm not even a huge Parker fan but I almost cried. This was a NICE guitar and one of the higher end models. I don't really like the looks or sound but they play and feel amazing.
Well the day I got my new telecaster, i hadn't put strap locks on it yet. So I was walking around my house with it and the strap pulled off and the telecaster dropped to the ground. Got a huge paint chip on the back of it, like a little bigger than a quarter. But it's in the back, and I like beat up guitars. So it's all good.
IN/ RAINBOWS
IN RAIN/BOWS
IN RAINBOW/S
IN RAINBOWS/
IN RAIN_BOWS
RA D IOHEA_D
RAD IO HEA D

Quote by I'mronburgundy?
in addition to all of that, you also win the thread.

Quote by metallica724
>:O littlejoy isnt a creep hes full of win unlike you
Therea a chunk out of one of the tips on the headstock of my BC Rich V. I was going to someones house a while back and for some dumb ass reason didnt have it in a case. When i went to get out of the car the tip caught on the door frame and- Snap- theres a chunk missing.
Quote by magnus_maximus
You're whackin' one off in the toilet and you jizz on the counter?

I hope you never get a driving license.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Dude mangoes are so good. Imagine a blowjob, but instead of the feeling being on your dick, it's on your mouth.
my worst guitar accident really isn't that bad at all...

i had it outside one day and i had opened the case for some reason (probably to show someone really quick or something) and i ended up getting into a conversation and forgot that i had forgotten to shut the latches.

so i went to pick it up and it came spilling out onto the concrete. somehow... NOT A SCRATCH.
So younger and inexperienced me was trying to level my Edge III bridge on my Ibanez RG5EX1 by adjusting the spring. By not taking turns winding on each side properly, one side of the trem claw stripped the screw hole causing it to shoot out at an angle. I needed to find a quick cure so I unhinged one of the springs and found a Lego block somewhere in my basement and used it as a "block" for my trem. So yes, a childhood toy piece is holding my guitar together.

Good news: The bridge is level... permanently! Yay!

Bad news: Tremolo is permanently hard-tailed and I can't tune below 1 step down or else there won't be any tension to counter the springs.
I've had my strap fall off and the headstock hit me in the face. More damage to myself I guess.

The only one that I thought was horrible, but ended out alright was with my Ibanez Artcore.

2 days after I got it, it was sitting on the stand in my living room. I was on the computer sitting down on the carpet. I leaned back and knocked it over. It slammed into my big ass coffee table in the area where the neck meets the body. Bounced off the coffee table and hit the ground.

Looked and my strings action was super high. Checked and the pickup got knocked up a couple of inches. I started to frantically try to force it back in. Took a deep breath, grabbed a screwdriver, and lowered the pickup. My that was fun

Edit: And not even a mark on that wide bodied lady
Last edited by MetalHead916 at Jul 2, 2009,
My classic Gibson S-1 was playing around with it and it was in perfect condition at the time i bend over to get a drink while have the strap ALMOST hit the desk, after which i saw spazzed out and turned around to hit the head stock on the door knob scratching off a good chunk of the black paint on it.
Quote by PSM
Nothing too crazy with my guitars besides a few dings and scratches but I had a friend at Berklee that had a lot of VERY expensive guitars. One day he decided he wanted to practice throwing the guitar around his back in a loop (think Iron Maiden) and instead of using his cheap Squier strat, he used his Parker. Sure enough, as he was spinning it up and over his shoulder, the strap snapped and the guitar went full force, headstock first into the ground at an angle. He walked into my room from across the hall with the neck in one hand and the body in the other. I'm not even a huge Parker fan but I almost cried. This was a NICE guitar and one of the higher end models. I don't really like the looks or sound but they play and feel amazing.

Oh my god i would have punched him in the face with tears streaming down my face
My Epi fell off its stand and the whole selector switch got ripped out
That sucked.
i was recording with my band when i was just about to start. as i get into my powerstance the strap gives out and my hellraiser falls full frontal on the floor!
im guessing the trem was too much and it broke 2 strings lol

so i bought cliplocks the next day
Quote by tukk04

almost forgot...
thats for you TS/n00b

Quote by timeconsumer09
No, just disregard all the posts in this thread that say that the tone is noticeably worse when it's dying...

i should have read the thread
Quote by James13v

Moral of the story,ALWAYS PLAY WITH A STRAPON!

Fixed

I set mine down on a dumbell I had sitting on my floor and put a little dent in it, I've hit the headstock on the ceiling...nothing too bad I suppose.
Was sitting on the couch watching tv while holding my tele. A fly landed on the couch, so I grabbed the remote and smashed it down on the fly.

Needless to say, I missed, and the body motions required to use a tv remote as a bludgeoning tool forced my tele's top horn to smash into my mouth.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
One time at one of my bands shows I tried spinning one of my les pauls around me durring a pause in the song and it went flying and hit a kid in the crowd and he started bleeding, my lp now has a weird dent in it but other then that it is fine
amps
Vox Ac 30 (main)
Fender Supersonic with Krank Krankenstien 4x12
OR 50 with 4 x 12
Gassing for ibanes airplane flanger
I though I'd be cool and play behind my head, I went to raise the guitar, and I forgot that my ceiling fan was on. Luckily, no big chips or cracks were made.
Xbox Live GT: IX Michael IX
Quote by Winman9999
One time at one of my bands shows I tried spinning one of my les pauls around me durring a pause in the song and it went flying and hit a kid in the crowd and he started bleeding, my lp now has a weird dent in it but other then that it is fine

!!!!!
Quote by Winman9999

i think this one takes the cake.. thats awesome!
--Clips in profile! comment please!--
Guitars
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Schecter Solo-6 Limited
Takamine G330H

Amps
Line 6 Vetta
Carvin X100B

Pedals
cmatmods Signa Drive, Brownie, and Boost
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
MXR 10 band EQ
Quote by MetalHead916
I've had my strap fall off and the headstock hit me in the face. More damage to myself I guess.

Same thing happen to me yesterday, only it was a Jackson. Jacksons have pointy headstocks.
Quote by U-neek
Now that is an epic win right there!!!!

I made an epic win
Jackson RR24M
PSN: Livewire410
Quote by kranoscorp
Was sitting on the couch watching tv while holding my tele. A fly landed on the couch, so I grabbed the remote and smashed it down on the fly.

Needless to say, I missed, and the body motions required to use a tv remote as a bludgeoning tool forced my tele's top horn to smash into my mouth.

classic man.

Quote by Winman9999

LOL!

Tone so good it hurts!
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Last edited by James13v at Jul 2, 2009,
Page 1 of 3