So, I've decided to try and learn to sweep. I've watched a billion lessons on youtube, and I think i know what to do to get it, and I know not to get discouraged, and I'm going to, (if i must do it mindlessy and boringly, I will) practice as much as I can everyday. I need some exercises though, GP files preferred so I can hear it, but text will work as well. Any help will be appreciated, thank you.
E||-------------8-12-8------------|--------------12-15-12-------------||
B||----------10--------10---------|-----------13----------13----------||
G||--------9--------------9-------|--------12----------------12-------||
D||-----10------------------10----|-----14----------------------14----||
A||--12------------------------12-|--15----------------------------15-||
E||-------------------------------|-----------------------------------||

Those are some common shapes; you can use them anywhere on the fretboard
WOAH you may want to start off with 3 string sweeps first theres some sweeps in the bfmv scream aim fire solo which are good to start and i think almost east a7x and deliever us from evil have some sweeps in them which are relativly easy for biggeners
Quote by MicahChaney

Thanks for the patterns man, but like the other guy said, don't you start with easier sweeps? Idk, I'm the noob here, so just asking..
Yeah, three string sweeps are a good place to start and I would totally recommend doing so, I just had an absent minded moment. You can take the the same arpeggios that I gave you and make 3 string sweeps like so:

E||-------8-12-8---------8-12-8------|
B||----10--------10---10--------10---|
G||--9--------------9--------------9-|
D||----------------------------------|
A||----------------------------------|
E||----------------------------------|

--------12-15-12----------12-15-12-------||
-----13----------13----13----------13----||
--12----------------12----------------12-||
-----------------------------------------||

Also, it's worth it to learn a bit of theory so you can make your own arpeggios.
Last edited by MicahChaney at Jul 2, 2009,
My teacher started me on 2 string sweeps

e|---------
B|---------
G|-----5-7-
D|-5-7-----
A|---------
E|----------
   ^ V V ^

I think 3 is fine.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Last edited by TheBurningFish at Jul 2, 2009,
try the intro to Bleeding Mascara by Atreyu. Really easy and fun, also try some diminshed runs

d|----------1h4p1------------4h7p4------------7h10p7----------------10-12-10-9-10-9------9---------------------------------|
A|-------3----------3------6----------6-------9-----------9---------12-----------------------12----12-10-12-10-9-10-9--------|
F|-----4---------------4/7---------------7/10----------------10/13------------------------------------------------------------11---|
C|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
G|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
D|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
Your mother likes it ruff, Trebeck.
Last edited by you = fail at Jul 2, 2009,
just a quick questioin about sweeps
when you hit the bottum string your sweeping on its it always hammeron pull off
Could you be more specific?

Using that sweep as an example, are you talking about the 8-12-8? And more specifically, the 12? Most of the time people hammer on to the 12, but you can pick it if you want.
Last edited by MicahChaney at Jul 2, 2009,
Quote by MicahChaney
Could you be more specific? No

Using that sweep as an example, are you talking about the 8-12-8? And more specifically, the 12? Most of the time people hammer on to the 12, but you can pick it if you want.

yeah thats what i mean thanks
cause i use hammer ons but my mate told me i was doing it wrong but i wasnt sure so yeah thanks
Quote by notsominidude
just a quick questioin about sweeps
when you hit the bottum string your sweeping on its it always hammeron pull off

I think most do it like this:

e|------12-17-12
B|---13---------13
G|14--------------14
D|
A|
E|
   V  V  V  ^ p  ^ ^
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by MicahChaney

Should tell him what shapes they are. The first is a minor sweep, and the second is a major sweep.

I've attached a GP5 file with some basic shapes and some not so basic ones but still cool. You can just move them around, combine sweeps, make some non-boring licks out of them to practice with.
Attachments:
Sweeps.gp5
Quote by sglover34479
thanks a billion you guys, now for some boring, mind numbing practice

If practice is mind numbing then you're not doing it right. Practice is more than simple repetition; you need to be thinking about what you're doing at all times to make sure you're doing it right.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
If practice is mind numbing then you're not doing it right. Practice is more than simple repetition; you need to be thinking about what you're doing at all times to make sure you're doing it right.

I know lol, it was just a joke
I don't want to sound like I'm talking down or whatever, but if you learn chord theory and stuff like that you can make your own arpeggios and not rely on shapes. Plus, I think it's kinda fun.
Quote by MicahChaney
I don't want to sound like I'm talking down or whatever, but if you learn chord theory and stuff like that you can make your own arpeggios and not rely on shapes. Plus, I think it's kinda fun.

I agree, I learned chord theory recently, and I made a few arpeggios before making the thread, I just wondered if anyone has specific one that help to practice and get the basics.
I think you've got some pretty good stuff here. I learned in the lessons section of UG, theres a load of stuff there that could help you out. You'll probably wanna use a metronome too, to make sure everything is nice and even. Props to you for deciding to do it, it's a grand undertaking, so good luck! I know you can do it!

Also, i just learned a nice little passage. It's right at the end of Selkies by between the burried and me. It's not too hard, and it's even got some sweep tapping in it. So once you're feeling up to it, i think you'd have fun with it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb3r5MD4zyY
Quote by boreamor
Thousands upon thousands of people yelling "IcyHot"...

Quote by imdeth
She looks like she has triforces in her eyes...

Quote by Nakon14
*sigh* yet again, only on UG would somebody rush to their computer to tell the pit when their lives or property are in dire trouble.
Just to touch on the theory aspect, do u play the root third and fifth in arpeggios or what.
Quote by CheddaCheese
Just to touch on the theory aspect, do u play the root third and fifth in arpeggios or what.

Yeah triads (3) and tetrads (4) are common, 1 3/b3 5/b5 7/b7/bb7.
You can play whatever you want though, try different degrees, try arpeggiating an add9 tetrad (1, 3, 5, 9).
Yeah arpeggio's are just chords that are played as single notes, so root, third, fifth is correct. it's really great to learn the triads all over the fret board then you can make your own. It's funny that most people don't realize some of the shapes people give them is just the regular way to play the chord like the 5string "rolling" major sweep...
i started off doing a a minor arp with a dim 5 (basically it uses 5 strings) but i found that it helped me immensely because i got used to using almost all the strings

cant sweep super fast but i can do it

and these patterns helped me

moral of the story dont be dissuaded by things that seem hard, it means once you have them down everything seems a bit easier
Quote by naedman
I think you've got some pretty good stuff here. I learned in the lessons section of UG, theres a load of stuff there that could help you out. You'll probably wanna use a metronome too, to make sure everything is nice and even. Props to you for deciding to do it, it's a grand undertaking, so good luck! I know you can do it!

Also, i just learned a nice little passage. It's right at the end of Selkies by between the burried and me. It's not too hard, and it's even got some sweep tapping in it. So once you're feeling up to it, i think you'd have fun with it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb3r5MD4zyY

Thanks a lot man, it's good to have support, I'll be sure to come back with questions if I have any.

Quote by CheddaCheese

That's one thing you can do. Arpeggio is Italian for broken chord, so any chord you can play, you can play an arpeggio of. The root, third, and fifth would be a major arpeggio I believe.
Ok, thanks for clearing that up for me, ive been playing for like a year, and last month i finally decided to learn music theory so i finally understand what ppl on this site r talking about lol.