I've been thinking to get a Martin for a long time. I tried Martin D-28 in the store and I really like it. The problem is Martin D-28 is like $1600 used. I can probably get an used D-16RGT for $800. How different is D-28 from D-16RGT? I know D-28 has standard X bracing and D-16RGT has hybrid X. How much better is D-28 comparing to D-16RGT in terms of sound, playability, and quality? Has anyone actually compared D-28 and D-16RGT side by side? Is it worth it to get a D-28? It costs 2x more than the D-16RGT... Please help, thanks-
I really think when it gets to that point with Martins, you're paying more for cosmetics than sound. Of course the sound subtly gets better as you go up the Martin line. But the RGT only has a gloss finished top and is pretty plain, while the D-28 is decked out and I believe has abalone inlays and stuff.
It does sound a little better, clearer I guess. But not worth twice the price IMO unless you really care about the looks.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
I haven't played the D-16RGT, but I have played both a D-28 and a D-15, and there's just not comparison. The D-28 is a far better sounding guitar, much clearer, crisper, and with a nicer overall tone. I played a gig yesterday with the D-15, and it just sounded weak. I know it's not the same thing as the D-16, but as far as I'm concerned, the best sounding Martin's I've ever come across are the D-28 and the HD-28. No wonder guys like Page and Clapton swore by the 28s...
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
Quote by Jimmy_Page_Zep
I haven't played the D-16RGT, but I have played both a D-28 and a D-15, and there's just not comparison. The D-28 is a far better sounding guitar, much clearer, crisper, and with a nicer overall tone. I played a gig yesterday with the D-15, and it just sounded weak. I know it's not the same thing as the D-16, but as far as I'm concerned, the best sounding Martin's I've ever come across are the D-28 and the HD-28. No wonder guys like Page and Clapton swore by the 28s...

Between those two, I completely agree. The D-15 is completely differently voiced though. At least the ones I've played are. They sound great for delta blues and stuff, but they always sound like the strings are dead to me.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
I think the D-28 is probably a better guitar in general. However, you want to try them both out and see what you like. The D-16RGT isn't a traditional sounding Martin. It has a more balanced sound than the D-28. Not as much oomph, and it's nowhere near as much of a cannon(In terms of projection and volume) as the D-28.

Between these two guitars, it's not about cost. It's about preference. Go with your gut.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Actually the D-28 is definitely not a situation where you are paying more for fancy looking stuff on the guitar. The D-28 is a pretty run-of-the-mill guitar lookswise. The D-28 isn't famous for being pretty. Nearly every other guitar from every other brand ever manufactured after the D-28 wasn't modeled after the D-28 because it is pretty. The guitar is a damn cannon.

The D-16RGT is not any kind of substitute for a D-28 in my opinion. I'm not saying that the D-16RGT isn't a great guitar, because it is. But in all honesty, the D-28 is pretty much the starting point for really getting that Martin tone... well I guess the D-18 is really the starting point. But if you want the sound of Rosewood then the D-28 is the starting point. There just isn't any substitute imo.

Martin isn't Taylor. They aren't really all that big on slapping all kinds of inlays and pretty stuff all over guitars. You don't really get into fancy looking stuff from Martin unless you go with an exotic wood model (i.e. Koa) or unless you get up into the 42 series guitars. Not that there is anything wrong with Taylor or slapping fancy looking stuff on guitars. There isn't.