Hey everyone. I'm finally starting to work on a guitar that I started on a year ago. I was very noob-ish at the time, and used a jigsaw which scorched a lot of the edges... but alas, my dads friend has the proper equipment and I will be over there this weekend. So I have a couple questions.
In my eager rush to start building a guitar, I believe I may have left too little space for the neck pocket.
http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae20/shredder6sic6/gtr1.jpg

http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae20/shredder6sic6/gtr2.jpg

So, if i did make that mistake, would it be easier to just go ahead and do a neck through, although that seems a little daunting?

Oh, and sorry for the crappy cell phone pics, idk where my camera is.
Quote by magnus_maximus
You're whackin' one off in the toilet and you jizz on the counter?

I hope you never get a driving license.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Dude mangoes are so good. Imagine a blowjob, but instead of the feeling being on your dick, it's on your mouth.
Neck through really isn't that bad. A lot of builders actually find them easier as long as you have a router, make templates, and are able to carve the neck correctly. The first two you should make sure of with any guitar, and if you aren't building the neck yourself, you can buy a premade neck-through blank that has already been carved to fix the last one.

Just make sure you have exactly what you want to do planned out before you glue together, and pay attention to if you need a neck angle or not. I would suggest considering recessing your bridge to get rid of that problem if you do need one.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
Last edited by C/ruel at Jul 2, 2009,
Neck throughs are tricky if you're putting a cap on the guitar (1/4" even), cause it will mean that you have to cut the entire body down lower than normal.
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
I was considering doing a top. I have access to an electric planer... idk, I probably wont do a top simply because i'm broke.
How hard is the shaping of the neck?
Quote by magnus_maximus

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Dude mangoes are so good. Imagine a blowjob, but instead of the feeling being on your dick, it's on your mouth.
Takes a touch of practice, some time, and some rasps/spokeshave/belt sander of some kind. Just make sure you don't break through to the truss rod. I think there are tutorials on projectguitar and on this site somewhere.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
I checked out those tutorials, very informative. my question now is how wide do i need to make the part of the neck that will be through the body, and how much does that need to drop from the fretboard level?
Quote by magnus_maximus

Quote by Albino_Rhino
The part through the body doesn't have to be any specific width. Most people just cut it to the width of the end of the neck. Some leave it as wide as the original neck blank.

Fretboard level all depends on what you want to do with your bridge. You take how tall your bridge is, and how tall your fretboard+frets will be out of the guitar. From there you can tell how far down you're going to have to recess your bridge to get the desired action at your last fret. The bridge probably has a way to adjust the height after you've installed it, so you do have some leeway if the action turns out either too high or low. You should really figure out how deep you're going to put the nut in right around here too. I used .01 for my high e, then went up by .002 for every string as they got thicker, so by the sixth string it was .02. But I would look up other ways to set action at the first fret and what height you want, because I have a feeling I do/did it the hard way.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
I just thought about it, and this may be a stupid question, but where can I get the wood for a neck through neck, or are neck blanks large enough?
Quote by magnus_maximus

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Lumberyards, wood supply stores. If you're going to make the neck you'll probably get the best deals there. If you want something figured then you may have to look around online. Ebay, or LP addict on this site also tends to have nice wood. There's probably someone on here who makes neck blanks.

But yes, they do make specific neck blanks long enough for neck through guitars. You just have to figure out how long you need it to be and look around. I'd stick with a premade neck blank if you don't want to deal with doing the fretwork on the guitar. It should already have the neck cut for you so you don't have to do any of that, and I'm sure you can get them with paddle headstocks if you want to make your own shape. Carvin is the only site that I've had any experience with that does them, but they're quite expensive. Here's a link regardless

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/group.php?cid=41

But yes, they are a pain in the ass to find it looks like. Look around on ebay for somethign that looks reputable. I believe there are some people on here who have posted about sellers on ebay who don't suck, so some forum searching might get you what you want.

EDIT: You can probably look through neck blanks for bolt on's to figure out if your neck joint is big enough or not also. To me it looks like you might be able to get away with a bolt on if you really want to. Measure it and figure out if it's wide enough if you haven't already. That way you can make the decision yourself instead of being forced to do a certain design.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Last edited by C/ruel at Jul 2, 2009,
I've decided that I am definitely going to do it neck through, I'll hopefully be getting the wood for the neck this weekend.
Quote by magnus_maximus

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Hey, Sorry for the double post

I have a question though. I am pretty confident in my ability to do this but i'm haveing a hard time find how wide the fretboard itself needs to be. I'm doing a 12in radius... so how wide do i need it?
Quote by magnus_maximus

Quote by Albino_Rhino
How wide the fretboard needs to be depends entirely on what nut, bridge and scale length you choose.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
I plan on using this bridge. So I figure it needs to be a little wider than the string spread and need to taper a little up of the width of the nut?

And it will be 25.5" scale.
Quote by magnus_maximus

Quote by Albino_Rhino
You need to draw it out full scale and find out, heres a thread I made on how to do so, should be helpful.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1130170

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Thanks, I'm going to use my CAD program and do that and print it... when I actually go to space the frets on the board, do i need a micrometer?... cuz I'm broke and those are really precise measurements.
Quote by magnus_maximus

Quote by Albino_Rhino